Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rawhide or worm?

puppy4ever
August 31st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi all -

I am off to the vet soon but I wanted to ask if anyone has ever mistaken rawhide for a worm in a dog's stool?

My puppy has been eating rawhide that sometimes comes off as strings so I was wondering if that was a possibility. It looks white long (3-4 inches and about a 1/4 inch thick. Kind of tapered on the ends too.

Any chance it could be rawhide?

Trinitie
August 31st, 2005, 01:28 PM
Nope, not that I'd heard. Sounds like roundworm to me.

proudfosterdad
August 31st, 2005, 01:29 PM
I Really Don't Know . Could Be Rawhide My Foster Dog Eats Of All His Rawhide And Sollows It So It Might Just Me Rawhide Who Knows .

Trinitie
August 31st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Does this look like what you see in the poop?

puppy4ever
August 31st, 2005, 07:03 PM
Yes. It looked like that. :eek: It has been in the sun so doesn't look like that anymore though...it's dehydrated. I took it and put it in a jar to take to the vet. What I won't do for my guy! Really, really yucky. Thanks Trinitie!

Trinitie
September 1st, 2005, 08:44 AM
That is round worm. When the pup gets worming medicine, the pills basically put the worms to sleep and then the pup poops them out. Once outside the body, the worms die from exposure.

The worm eggs, however, can survive for years in the soil of the backyard. Pick up the poop as soon as puppy has it, and try to hose off the area where the poop was. The eggs are very tiny, and can't been seen with the naked eye. Only a microscope can see them, and only if you know what you're looking for.

My new family member had tapeworm and roundworm when I adopted her. Medication is the only course of action.

Let us know what the vet says!

Tigger
September 1st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Remind me to heed the title warnings... breakfast just isn't sitting well any longer with that photo. :yuck:

Trinitie
September 1st, 2005, 08:55 AM
How do you think I feel? I was thinking of spaghetti for supper - not any more! :yuck:

puppy4ever
September 1st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Yup, it's worms...roundworms. Poor guy. Thanks Trinitie for the egg info. My puppy is always eating the grass so it might be difficult to stop that but I will hose down the yard well...good motivation to try to get him to go #2 in one area only as well!

Good news is that I found a great vet that gave my puppy TONS of treats (no doubt the way to his heart) and nice rubs so hopefully he will get over the fear that the last vet instilled.

Trinitie
September 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM
So glad to hear that! Just so you know, pups are easy to get roundworm, but adult dogs aren't as easy to get them. Pregnant females can be carriers, that's why the pups are usually born with worms. But as a rule, adults don't get them.

Cookies all around!!!!

Glad to help out!

(still don't want spaghetti though :yuck: )

puppy4ever
September 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
:D Spagetti is now banished from our house!