Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bichon with Rear Leg Problem

J.Y.'s Mom
August 31st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Hello,
I have a 21 month old male Bichon who suddenly stopped using his right rear leg on Sunday. He had been "skipping" with it for a few days before Sunday, take 15-20 steps then hold it up for 2, but starting Sunday he holds it up all the time. Other then that, he appears fine. He is not having any pain. He is at the vets right now, has been there since yesterday morning. The vet took xrays and found nothing, and can feel nothing wrong. He is on anti-inflammatories, but has yet to show any improvement. It seems to be a mystery as to why he won't use his leg. Anybody have any experience with these type of symptoms?
Many Thanks.

Trinitie
August 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM
This could be as simple as a pinched nerve that feels funny, but doesn't cause pain.
Or, it could be as complicated as a back problem that x-rays won't diagnose.

Does your dog have feeling in that leg? Try (gently) pinching the little fleshy part between the toes to see if the dog reacts. If there's no reaction, you can at least tell your vet what you've discovered.

I don't think anybody here will be able to properly diagnose this problem. Only a vet, who can lay hands on the dog, can properly diagnose this.

J.Y.'s Mom
August 31st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks, I'll try that when I pick him up this evening.

Trinitie
August 31st, 2005, 02:27 PM
Please let us know anything the vet tells you. We all hope your little pup will be okay. :fingerscr

ILoveMutts!
August 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Ask your vet about more advanced tests like an MRI.

J.Y.'s Mom
September 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well, he's home, but not much improved. He's on antiinflammatoires for the next 4 days then reassess. Vet feels it's either or small injury to a ligament that we can't see, or, it's Hip Dysplsia (not the right name for it in small dogs, but same issue). I'm really hoping it's not Hip Dysplasia, but guess right now we are on a wait and see approach. Poor thing also got hit with urine crystals and allergies at the same time, so he's not a very happy puppy right now

Thanks

Barb

Trinitie
September 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your little one isn't much better. Pampering and "bed rest" are just what the little one needs! Hopefully it's not the hips. The little pup has crystals in the urine - already?? Poor thing!

J.Y.'s Mom
September 1st, 2005, 02:20 PM
I know, I feel so bad for him, he's on a restricted diet, no treats, is not allowed off leash for 14 days to run and play, which is his favourite thing to do 24 hours a day :-) and he's itchy like crazy from the allergies, but can't do anything about it until the hip issue is resolved. Also on antibiotics and anti inflammatories. Apparently, both the hip and crystal issue are common in Bichons, so guess he just got unlucky. I have faith though, we'll conquer all 3 issues! :-)

Trinitie
September 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Ask your vet if you can give him Chlor-Triplon (without cold medicines in it) for the itching. Your vet may say yes or no, depending on the types of medications your little pupper is on now.

There is one member here, named GsdDiamond, who uses Chlor-Triplon for her GSD, and it's vet approved, in the proper circumstances. Ask your vet if you can give your little one a break from the itchy skin.

J.Y.'s Mom
September 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'll do that, thanks for all your suggestions!

mona_b
September 1st, 2005, 10:34 PM
It's VERY rare for a Bichon to suffer HD.

I think the word you are looking for is Patellar Luxation.This has to do with the knees.

As for the itching,try Tea Tree Spray. :)

This you can get a pet supply store.

J.Y.'s Mom
September 2nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Thank you Mona for the tea tree oil suggestion. The issue that the vet thinks may be J.Y.'s regarding his hip is called Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head. As yet we are not sure what is going on with him as nothing shows up on x-rays, but he is not showing much improvement yet. I'm crossing my fingers.

2 questions for the group please. The vet gave him steroids yesterday to address the allergy issue. I've heard steroids are not good for them, and can shorthen their life span. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, we are battling the Oxalate Crystal issue. I'm having a really hard time getting him to drink much, and am looking for ways to encourage him. I am going to try some home made chicken broth, and I was hoping to try watermelon as he likes it, and I would assume that would get more liquid into him. Vet says SD food only for the next 3 weeks. Should I wait that long, or try the broth and melon to get more liquid into him?

Many thanks for all you assistance.

Barb

Prin
September 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about the allergies nor start an elimination diet as long as he is on the Hill's. Hill's is full of the "usual suspects" for allergies, and eliminating everything else would probably not show you the allergy culprit...

What was he eating before? I'm wondering because I know a Lab that was on Eukanuba and had joint pain and stiffness, and the x-rays didn't show anything (it was the food).

Has the vet x-rayed the whole leg or just the hip?

J.Y.'s Mom
September 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
He xrayed the whole leg, saw nothing. He's been on Royal Canin mini his whole life.

mona_b
September 5th, 2005, 11:14 PM
If nothing is showing up in the xray,then I suggest that you take him to a radioligist.Apparently this is the only way it can be diagnosed.

http://www.tremontvetclinic.com/info/avascular.html