Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Big Snip Tomorrow!

gomez
August 31st, 2005, 08:10 AM
Gomez is going for his surgery tomorrow... wish him well!!

;)

jessi76
August 31st, 2005, 08:26 AM
good luck little Gomez!! :)

Rottielover
August 31st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Good luck Gomez, harley too is going in tomorrow for the big snip

gomez
August 31st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Good luck Harley!

Bet they'll be sleepy tomorrow night, eh?

Bearsmom
August 31st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Kaos goes in on Friday..., is getting boarded over the weekend, so maybe he'll like us again when we pick him up on Tuesday. Bear wouldn't LOOK at me for two weeks after we had him neutered.

Good luck to all those who are becoming its this week.

Rottielover
August 31st, 2005, 12:40 PM
I hope he does not hate me for 2 weeks, we have to work on our OB together, and I need our bond nice and strong

Writing4Fun
August 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Good luck to all of the speuter-bound furbabies! :D

And a great, big :thumbs up to their mommies & daddies for doing the responsible thing. :cool:

gomez
September 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM
The puppy is home! We dropped him off at 9:30 and collected him by 12:30, in and out!

He walked home, (a few blocks) but he's so sleepy now! He looks a bit drunk really, unbalanced, but still managed to eat his dinner and drink his water, just doesn't want to move much, he probably feels silly in his e-collar...

Time for a loo break soon, a quickie...

Rottielover, how is Harley?

And good wishes for Kaos tomorrow!

Prin
September 1st, 2005, 10:46 PM
Yey!! The big op! Good luck to all those who are going, and good luck for the recovery for Gomez.

( :D If he licks it till there's fat coming out then we won't be too happy... :D :troll: )

Bearsmom
September 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Kaos is doing just fine, just spoke with the vet (we're leaving for the weekend tonight, and they're boarding him), she says he has an elizabethan collar on, is sleeping quite soundly.

Brought him in this morning, he was okay for a few minutes then realized "hey, I don't like it here". Growled at the vet when she gave him the sedative, wasn't pleased about getting weighed, then peed all over the scale (all this WITHOUT anything to drink, sheesh). Went willingly with the vet tech who won't take any crap from him. LOL.

He's the star of the boarding facility, and I'm sure doesn't spend any time in the cage when he's there (the receptionist confessed to this :) ), so hopefully he'll forgive me faster than Bear did when we get him on Tuesday.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

gomez
September 2nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear Kaos is doing well - I keep thinking of Get Smart wehn I see his name...

We actually ran into Gomez's vet on one of our walks today and he jumped up to greet him (or his knees) and then licked his face, hands, etc... so I'm thinking he has no ill will towards him! While we were at it, he gave Gomez a quick inspection and pronounced him well on the way to a good recovery, the stitch comes out on Tuesday...

He's still hating his collar, but is able to manuever a bit better with it today...

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
my male pit goes to get fixed next thursday is there a way to get them prepard for this any time we say it aloud he looks at us like he knows.

gomez
September 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
In my opinion, Gomez did not know he was going, nor does he know anything adverse happened to him - I think sometimes we as humans project some of our feelings unto them -

He is almost back to being himself, just 2 days later, I say "almost" only b/c he gets tired more quickly than usual, but each day he is getting more energy back, it was after all a surgery... I think by Tuesday when the stitch comes out he will be totally normal again...

No prep, just no food and water for 12 hours or so before the surgery, but they probably already told you that...

Good luck pittie!

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
yeah i knew no food or water. thanks i guess i just like to read to much into his body language and the way he looks at me. i love him too death and am just a little worried he has allready been through so much in the last month i didnt want to upset him any more. thank you again

Rottielover
September 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
2 days after the snip he is finally coming around. I think it is more of a drama thing than anything else. He is on pain meds, to help him.....But other than that he is great. Oh Ya by the way, we also had his Hips x rayed, and his elbows....The vet took al look at them and told me he has never seen suge great hips in a rottie....So I am on cloud 9 :grouphug:

gomez
September 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Good going Harley!

I feel like we should have a party for them or something...

;)

By the way, does anyone know if the "sac" shrinks back again, or does it always stay there?

PetFriendly
September 3rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
Good going Harley!
By the way, does anyone know if the "sac" shrinks back again, or does it always stay there?

Charley (my pom/shih mix) had the big snip a month ago. The sack was still there when I brought him home, but has shrunk to the point of almost not being visible any more (though the sack wasn't all the big to begin with so it might be different and take longer for a bigger dog ;) .)

love my dogs
September 3rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
marvandmisty, don't worry......he doesn't have a clue.

We handled it by singing ours a song in the days leading up to the big event..the tune is that children's song..."mulberry bush", click the link for the tune

http://www.kididdles.com/mouseum/m014.html (http://)

we just changed the words to:

"Your going to get your ***** cut off, ***** cut off, ***** cut off, your going to get your balls cut off early in the morning......Then you won't hump my leg anymore, my leg anymore, my leg anymore, then you won't hump my leg anymore and everyone will be happy."

The event didn't seem to phase him a bit, although he looked a little confused when he leaned in to lick them and they were gone, but then he was like..."huh, that's funny....something has changed...hmmm????...oh well..HEY.. there's a tail....oh boy...I'm gonna get it, I know I can get it" (chases tail).

I think most dogs are fine with it, but your vet will tell you what signs to look for if he gets depressed. Bullies are pretty resilliant. I would ask about the type of stitches that come out on their own though so he does not have to wear the cone.

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
thanks that was a funny song. well it will be done soon so thanks all and congrats to harley and gomez for recovery

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
That song was GREAT!!! I like the humping part. It's funny 'cause it's true... :)

gomez
September 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Well, Gomez had his follow up visit this afternoon and he has the ALL CLEAR!

Seems he "lost" the stitch somewhere between lunch and dinner yesterday, but it has all healed very nicely and he's good to go!

We were worried he might develop a fear of the vet's office, but we need not have worried, he ran all the way there, then bounded in and all the way down the stairs (where the surgery took place!) and then came right back up to play with the vet's pug... he did not want to leave... phew

how are the other "patients" doing?

Rottielover
September 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Harley is going in tonight.....It seems to have started an infection, as well as he lost 2 stiches..Heck only knows how.....Wish the poor guy luck for me.

gomez
September 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
ohnooooo, poor Harley... :eek:

we figure that Gomez's stitch just came out, or he licked it off, either way, it was really loose already anyway - then again, his incision is probably a quarter the size of Harley's, isn't it? His is only about 1" long...

All the best for a speedy recovery and hope he feels better and is up and running very soon!

Rottielover
September 6th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Harley's incision, is about 3 1/2 inches lond, and 2 popped out. I hope they give me something for the infection. It seems to really hurt him, poor guy.
I think the cone might have rubbed against the stiches.
Either way someone is taking a look at it tonight. I hope he does not need more stiches

love my dogs
September 6th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Ahhh, poor harley. Sometimes I think those darn cones do more harm than good!! Good Luck! I'm sure he will be alright!

Rottielover
September 7th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Ok the results on Harley is in.....Just as I thought, it was swollen, infected, and torn. He had staples put in, a good cleaning, and put on drugs.
I do not like giving drugs to my dogs, cause I don't take them, but it looks bad. So harley was told to be crated every second I can not keep a close eye on him, so for 8 days, it will be almost 90% of the day...
I hate it. he is so well behaved he does not need his crate any more, this is really going to upset him.....How can I make his crate ridden stay more comfortable???? :sorry: Big Guy

BullLover
September 7th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Love my dogs that is one funny song! I'll have to change the words for my little girl. My Sadie goes in next Friday, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if females need a cone. Brutus didn't need one, but I know that things are much more complicated with a spay. Anyone had a female that didn't have to be a conehead?

marvandmisty
September 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM
i am glad harley is going to be okay as for the crate stay i have no clue how to make it better for him. but it is good to here that is will be okay.

Rottielover
September 8th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I just hate drugging my dog. They gave him a pretty high dosage for his weight. If I had more time for research, I would have preferred au natural.
Trying to stay still, and not run around seems to be more of a challenge than I thought. He is bored silly, and is getting frustrated, to the point he took a nip at the cat. Which never ever normally happens....
I still have 8 more days of this

love my dogs
September 8th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Our girl Daisy had to wear a cone, but Duke didn't. I thought it was because of the type of stitches. Duke definately recovered faster than Daisy, probably because a spay is more complicated. I hated that stupid cone, though.....she kept running into everything.

gomez
September 9th, 2005, 03:19 AM
AW, poor Harley... wish I could send you Gomez to entertain him!

But he'll be all better soon and back to his freedom and fun... like our mothers used to say... "it's for your own good, dear" ! ! !

;)