Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ideas for a short getaway from western NY?

shannonRN
August 31st, 2005, 12:54 AM
Please don't say Niagara Falls!

Our 5th wedding anniversary is coming up, and we both have taken a week off from work in mid October to be able to take a trip.

We 'travel,' in a very local way, 2 or 3 times a year but we always go to the same places.
The Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. Because they're close, we take weekends here & there and go to the Falls or Alex Bay, but usually we like more rural, rustic settings, hiking, wildlife, fishing, etc.

We live in western NY and plan to drive wherever it is we're going, so it can't be too far away. Got any ideas? I'm tired of the same old places.

Bearsmom
August 31st, 2005, 03:23 AM
Where have you travelled before? What is it you like to see? We loved the Appalachian mountains drives, (my sister lives in CT), and all the neat little towns around Massacheuttses (No clue if I'm spelling that right, but heck, I've been wide awake since 3:30 am).

I also enjoyed Lee, Massach....., there's some pretty good outlet shopping there. My parents also stayed in the town that Norman Rockwell used as his basis of his artwork (darned if I can remember the name of it).

Another interesting thing-get in your car and DRIVE, before wee one came along, we used to do that frequently on weekends, point the car in one direction and go. It was a hoot

BMDLuver
August 31st, 2005, 07:00 AM
How about Thousand Islands or Gananoque area? It's beautiful there with the fall foliage.

Lizzie
August 31st, 2005, 07:10 AM
If you're willing to go to the Gananaque area you may want to keep travelling for another 25 minutes to Kingston, Ontario. It's a beautiful city with lots of romantic things to do :)

If you like Quebec, there is always the Eastern Townships. The Ripplecove resort is supposed to be amazing there...as are the sights. It's a big hit for honeymoons.

Writing4Fun
August 31st, 2005, 07:25 AM
I haven't been here (http://www.1000acres.com/) in many, many years. The company I used to work for would organize an annual trip and I used to go once a year in September. It was always breathtakingly beautiful.

Tigger
August 31st, 2005, 07:32 AM
Wow Writing, that place looks awesome!

Lizzie, where is Ripplecove Resort?

Lizzie
August 31st, 2005, 09:29 AM
Tigger: Here is the link to Ripplecove. I haven't been, but I've heard it's the best. It's apprently listed as one of the worlds greatest places to have wine...or something like that! http://www.ripplecove.com/

Tigger
August 31st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks Lizzie, that place looks awesome. Think it would be a great anniversary place!

shannonRN
August 31st, 2005, 04:53 PM
Can't open the ripple cove site, for whatever reason http://www.spacespider.net/emo/dazed004.gif

My husband and I just moved from the 1000 Islands area (Black Lake) in 2001 so it's pretty familiar territory to me. Out of habit, I refer to the 1000 islands as Alex Bay b/c when I was a kid, my family used to go to Alexandria Bay every summer (just east of Gananoque, across the river). We used to shop in Kingston alot--it is a really nice city.

I have some sort of internal compass that pulls me to the mountains. Usually we 'rough it,' camping, hiking, kayaking, boating and we always check out the historical sites and local specialties, crafts etc. Trying regional foods is always fun. We're not terribly cultured folk, we just like to relax, see the sites. Urban settings are not much our speed.

The was a great idea, W4Fun, but they close for the season right in the middle of our trip. I will definitely keep that place in mind for another trip. I want to ride the horsies through the water like in the picture (never been on a horse, can you believe it?)

My dream is to road trip across Canada to Alaska, some day. But we need another day or two to make a trip like that :rolleyes:

Lizzie
August 31st, 2005, 05:19 PM
If you like mountains and cottage country you'll probably enjoy the Eastern Townships in Quebec. If you do a search for Eastern Townships in google a ton of stuff will pop up. They likely have camp grounds you could set yourself up at! It's apparently a scenic and amazingly beautiful. I want to go!!

Writing4Fun
August 31st, 2005, 06:35 PM
I want to ride the horsies through the water like in the picture (never been on a horse, can you believe it?)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you've never been on a horse, you probably won't be crossing any streams any time soon. They reseve that for "experienced" riders. I did it a couple of times. It's very lovely, if somewhat wet (we did it at a bit of a gallop). The scenery is even better the further out you venture from the ranch (not that the landscape around the ranch is anything to sneeze at), and the more "experienced" riders are allowed to go a little faster than the newbies, so they get to explore a little more territory. If you ever do go, make sure it's in the fall, and that you book yourself for a few early morning rides. Dew on the grass, lovely colours all around you, fresh mountain air tingling in your nose (I swear the air even tastes better up there), families of deer in the fields, the horses are nice and fresh, raring to go...*sigh*!! :love:

shannonRN
September 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
My bubble is burst http://www.spacespider.net/emo/sad021.gif Sounds wonderful though.

Lizzie, you're so right about the Eastern Township thing. I love the areas on the US side of the border and we've only taken very short detours into CA in that area. We always see a ton of moose around there too, which is a plus. (On second thought, 'a ton' of moose isn't very many moose, but you get the idea, I guess)

Hubby is very put off by les noms Francais and thinks he will be unable to communicate :rolleyes:
As if y'all don't speak English good like us :D

Today, he got an email from a friend who offered us his cabin for the week, so that's what he wants to do. Figures.