Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overweight Daschund Mix

speckledove
August 30th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I have a dog that is about 2-3 pounds overweight and for his health..and his back...I want him to lose it.

Can you recommend a food or a regiment that would assist in losing it?

Additionally, he's not really ACTIVE on a constant level, since he's inside all day. But I do walk him and he goes to the park, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Tracy

Scorp1
August 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
more info would be greatfull like how mutch dose e way dashhund mix whit what other breed how old is e end what do you feed hime at this time more playing end activety could fix this for 2 ur 3 pound overweight not sure you would whant to upsate yur dog nutrition just for a 2 ur 3 pounds

speckledove
August 30th, 2005, 11:23 PM
He's mixed with Terrier, we think..he's a rescued dog. He's showing signs of stress from the weight. He's 26 pounds and should be about 23. On the small frame, his height (about 9 inches off the ground, more like a mini mix), it's more weight than it sounds like. I'd like to see any amount of weight loss to alliviate his discomfort, so it's worth it to me. :-) I would like to up him to a more premium food and get him on more of a regiment than he's been on.

Scorp1
August 30th, 2005, 11:30 PM
but what food do you feed hime at this time

se this post hope this helps out

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18784

SnowDancer
August 31st, 2005, 10:16 AM
Do you know the breed of "terrier" your Dachshund is mixed with? Also, is your Dachshund a Mini with the terrier mix - or a Standard? The 9" leg and current weight is making me think Standard. I have had 7 mini Dachshunds and with great difficulty kept their weights at 10 lbs. - and yes, I did go through 2 worst case scenario cases of disc disease - neck and back, despite the weight control. Did your vet suggest the loss of only 3 lbs.? I know 3 lbs. sounds like a slight weight loss, but not on a smaller dog. My Eskimo weighs 22 lbs. - if he went to 25 I would make him lose it - appetite is very similar to that of a Dachshund. Regarding stress on back, has your dog started to drag his rear legs or show any hesitancy climbing stairs, jumping down from furniture etc. Certainly it is best to use ramps with these dogs, but being a wilfull little darlings will do as they please. Also watch for any sign of a limp in the front paws - often the first sign of neck disc disease. There are so many different types of food out there. I hear people today saying their Dachshunds have sensitive stomachs. Huh? Mine had gourmet tastes and iron cast stomachs and had to eat whenever we did or no peace. You will have to reduce the daily amount of food so that weight is lost gradually. You will have to split it so that if you have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner so does your dog or he will get very upset - nothing like the look of a Dachshund feeling he is being punished over food. I expect your dog loves people food. When you are eating trying and give him small pieces of low sugar vegetables (not sweet potato as that is high in sugar and these dogs have low thyroids), a tiny crumb of bread - it is the "thought" that counts, not the quanitity. This is assuming your dog will not recognize that you are conning him. Mine would have. The 2 with back problems with cunning and brilliant. But 3 lbs. is really not all that much weight to lose - could be worse - I know a mini who weighs 17 lbs. - should weigh about 8. If your dog appears to have difficulty walking try the foot test - gently "trip" your dog - one hind leg only as he is slowly walking - his foot should automatically adjust and reposition it on the floor - as do you when you trip a bit. If foot does not return to normal position, you will have a problem and you will also have to get him to the vet fast. Same with the front paws - if no sign of a foreign object or cut - if limping, to the vet.

coppperbelle
August 31st, 2005, 07:01 PM
I would recommend you try a good quality kibble. I do not like calorie reduced foods as they tend to contain more fillers and my dogs have actually gained weight on them. You will have to reduce the amount of food you are giving but do it slowly over a week or so, so that he doesn't notice
You can supplement the reduction in food with things like carrots. My dogs love them and I give them to them as treats.

Prin
September 1st, 2005, 12:59 AM
I'd rather the exercise approach.. Dieting might get you a skinnier dog, but exercising will get you a fit doggy.

If he is home all day, maybe you can try to slowly increase the amount of time he runs around while you're home by a couple of minutes every day. :)

coppperbelle
September 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
I did intend on suggesting that you increase his exercise but I forgot. Exercise is essential.

.sarah
September 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
If all of the above fails, I would add some canned pumpkin or green beans to his diet. Fiber helps them, well, poop more and can help them lose weight. My vet says to try this after diet foods, smaller portions, and increased exercise. My GSD mix has allergies, so diet food isn't possible, and we had to go straight to smaller portions and canned pumpkin, and we bought her the best exercise toy (a new little sister!). This is working for her!