Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy swollen face

keenya
August 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM
my puppy is about 10 months old.. last night the one side of her snout started to swell up... this morning her whole face is swollen... she is a husky/german shepard and her snout is supposed to be smooth.. well her snout is all bumpy and her eyes are swelly so they are open only like half way... she has two very small bumps one of the side of her lip and one on the top of her nose... she likes to play with spiders and chase bees... now we think she got bit.. but how do we stop the swelling?

Roxy's_MA
August 30th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Sound like an allergic reaction. I would get her to the vet right away. Swelling like that is not a good sign.

doggy lover
August 30th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I agree you need to see a vet right away.

Scorp1
August 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM
yup alergies i agree to get to the vet as soon as posible !

Caridad
August 30th, 2005, 09:28 PM
My puppy had swollen eyes and I took her to the vet as advised here and it wasn't as expensive as I thought. Of course I did have to call around - A LOT - before finding a vet who took payments and was very affordable. (So much so that I didn't even need a payment plan!) Anyway, my baby Lily is doing better now. She had an infection from getting swapped in the face by an iguana and after the vet started treating her eyes, her mouth broke out with some type of bumps and redness....the vet gave her shots on the next visit and it has really started to heal. All this to say....please take your puppy to the vet - both of you will feel sooooo much better!!! ;)

proudfosterdad
August 31st, 2005, 01:22 PM
You Need To Go To A Vet And Get That Checked It's Not Normal

Trinitie
August 31st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Agree with all posters here. Your puppy must go to a vet immediately.

No other advice should be offered as this appears to be an emergency.

Keenya, please post an update once the vet has seen your pup.

StaceyB
August 31st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Agree, go to the vet. A reaction such as this can interfere with breathing. If you see the swelling on the outside the same might be happening on the inside.

justncase
August 31st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Spider bites can be poisonous. Please get this checked by a vet who can prescribe the correct antidote.

keenya
September 6th, 2005, 10:48 PM
my boyfriend and i have a few friends who are either becoming vets or who are people who have been with animals and illnesses and who have had similar experiences and told us what the vets told them to do before bringing in their puppies....
they all recommended we try giving her a very limited about of Benadryl... we tried this and the swelling decreased dramatically...until the following morning... it was also reccommened that we give her a drop of polysporin eye drops for her eye... so we did that... and with in 5 minutes our gorgeous little puppy was back to her normal self bouncing off the walls...

thank you for all those who replied to this thread... :D