Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help! Worried about Basset

magenashley
August 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I have a 14 year old Basset Hound named Rocky.
Recently his left eye has started watering a lot - and getting very mucusy and snotty looking almost.
Starting yesterday he has started shaking his head and scratching his ears a lot. And he is starting to walk very oddly - almost stumbling. He's walking like he's drunk almost, he can't walk very well or even in a straight line anymore.

I have an appointment with my local vet this Thursday afternoon - but if anybody has any idea as to what may be wrong with him - - - please reply to this ASAP or email me at Thank you - I am getting very worried about him, mainly because he is so old and I'm not sure how much longer he has left. So I hope that this isn't a sign of him fixing to pass on...... :fingerscr Thanks again.
~Ashley Clifton

Luvmypit
August 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
sorry Ihave no idea what to say but good luck and I hope the best. Please update us when you have seen the vet.

Wait patiently and someone maybe be able to give you some insight. At his age could be anything.

good luck!

magenashley
August 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I hope somebody posts something with some insight also.
I was browsing the other posts on here - and another person has a basset with something similar to this problem - and it is called "blastomytosis" which is an inhaled fungi that can cause conjunctivitis and ear infections....so that might be what my dog has. We will see when I take him to the vet Thursday...wish I had gotten in sooner, but I couldn't.

mastifflover
August 30th, 2005, 05:39 PM
For any of us to guess would be just that it could be something very minor or it could be something serious like a stroke. I would phone the vet and have him squeeze you in be forceful but not rude this is your baby. He needs to see the vet if he won't then try another vet.

the gang
August 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM
so sorry to hear of your little one, i have a small min pin that is a rescue she started doing almost the same thing, her head was tilted too i thought it might be a iner ear infection so we treated it for 2 weeks with meds, no luck she got into a little fight and her eye ball popped out, in surgey they found a fatty tumor in the brane, i dont want to scare you but ask if this is possiable and come back and let us know how she did, good luck to both of you brenda. :fingerscr

Weineelvr
August 31st, 2005, 07:43 PM
We have a 10-year old bassett. He gets ear infections frequently and we know when he has one because his ears smell and he is constantly digging in his ears until we give him medication. The medication is from the vet and it is called Zymox. It works wonders. This information may help or you may be dealing with something completely different. Good luck.