Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

At the Vet/behavioural problems

puppy4ever
August 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure where to post this as it deals with a few issues...we took our 9 week old puppy to the vet that my husband wanted us to go to (not wholistic) today and I came back in tears. We told the vet that our boy has loose stools and was (no longer is) vomitting after eating biscuts but otherwise playful and full of life. He told us that he probably has giardia and also needed to get his first set of vacinations again because he was only 6 weeks to begin with. So the vet proceeded to give him a whole lot of shots and medicines and our pup was crying the whole time.

Our puppy has been growling and biting me which really concerns me but it might also be puppy play...not sure. I asked the vet and he showed me a way to restrain him by pushing him down flat on his tummy and holding him there until he settles down. He also said if my puppy lunges and bites (which he has done a few times) give him a head butt. Is that recommended? He also told me that growling puppies usually turn into aggressive biters.

My husband seemed happy with him but I'm not really sure...he seemed casual but very medical...pumping him full of medicines and vacines. Also the discipline was very tough love type.

I just feel really sad about the whole thing and I can't even put my finger on why. I just really needed to get this off my chest as I'm still emotional about this...maybe because it's the first vet trip. What do you all think about the visit from what I've written?

Thank you all. :love:

Prin
August 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
If you don't like your vet or have doubts about what he does, change vets. Vets are not trainers. Get advice from a trainer about what to do about the biting.

Sorry you got so upset!!

epundt
August 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Find a different vet. My first 2 vets were mainly large animal vets and my dogs were terrified for them. I finally found a seasoned lady vet that has so much compassion I wish she was my doctor. She was going to keep one of my babies over nite at the clinic after she neutered him. I asked her if she was going to take him home and put him in bed with her. She laughed and said she had done it before. That was enough for me. She's very soft spoken and can calm any one of my 4 dogs down when we go for shots etc. You wouldn't take your child to a doctor you weren't comfortable with. Keep looking until you find one you like, then you will trust them with you're pets life. :)
Eileene

db7
August 30th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Your vet has given you terrible advice regarding bahaviour training.

If you do what the vet said YOU will turn the dog into an aggressive biter.

Good to see you are taking some responsibility to see this is dealt with properly. Here is smoe reading for you. It wont take long and will give you a good start in understanding your dog.

http://www.dogstuff.info/inapprop_aggress_responses_puppies_macdonald.html
http://www.trader.co.nz/versatiledogs/articles/sounddogs.htm
http://www.trader.co.nz/versatiledogs/articles/newpup.htm

http://www.trader.co.nz/versatiledogs/behaviour.htm
http://www.trader.co.nz/versatiledogs/ed.htm

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=Prin]. Vets are not trainers. Get advice from a trainer about what to do about the biting.QUOTE]

I have vets attend my training classes. Your vet knows the medical side and a trainer knows the behaviour. Very few vets know both. The advice your vet gave you is a sure way to create aggression.

puppy4ever
August 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks! Something about the visit didn't sit well with me at all...especially the head butt advice. Although someone recommended him to my husband, I also don't agree with his style. He didn't seem to try that hard to calm my guy down either.

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 04:34 PM
A visit to the vet for vaccinations is very scary and they hurt. A good vet would have handled your puppy with a little more care. Head butting any dog is cruel but a puppy, that is also dangerous.

SarahLynn123
August 30th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Id find a new vet. If something doesn't sit right with you move on. Never doubt a womens intuition. My dogs all came from bad homes or the humane society and before they did anything to my dogs the vets sat on the floor with them talking and petting them slowly doing the exam so the dogs didn't get scared or nervous. Even after the needles all of my dogs have no problem going to the vets office.

I have have had to leave one of my dogs for tests at the vets office for a few hours a couple times and never thought twice about it. Would you feel comfortable leaving your pup with them for 4 or so hours? If not find a new vet.

On a side note I saw the sweetest thing the other day. The surgeon at my vets office was leaving after his shift and he didn't know I was watching he picked up the ferret in the back, kissed him on the head and told him to have a great day and he will be back tomorrow. awwww what a softy

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM
All mine love to go to the vet.

gomez
August 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Same as StaceyB here, Gomez drags me to the vet's when he know he is going, sometimes we go in just for a "play date" with his and the nurses' dogs, sometimes we go for Gomez to get a mani/pedi and treats... even when he gets his shots and examined in "rude" places he is having a great time!

You have to love your vet and he has to love your pet, I think...

Oh and by the way, Gomez's vet is one of the few who is also a training expert (books written, etc...) and I can't imagine he would ever say "hold the dog down" ! yikes...

New vet is in order I would say

Lucky Rescue
August 30th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Please remember that vets are medical doctors and surgeons. Your vet may be wonderful with medical issues, but don't ask them for behavioral/training advice. You wouldn't ask a trainer to diagnose an illness.

He also told me that growling puppies usually turn into aggressive biters.

That is nonsense.

puppy4ever
August 30th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I just found a long (about 4 inches) white thing is in his stool. It looks like a worm...tapered on the ends. Is there anything else that could look like a worm that he would ingest and not digest? I guess it would explain the symptoms and also it would explain why it came out now. He was chalked full of vacines today and that probably made it a toxic environment for the worm.

It has been a bad day today. Only 10 days after bringing him home and he is already sick. :(