Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another Poll on Cp24 today

Copper'sMom
August 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Is the pit bull a dangerous breed? 45% of voters think the breed is viscious by nature!!!! :mad:

http://www.pulse24.com/Front_Page/page.asp scroll down half way, on right hand side

chico2
August 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I was watching CP24 last night,but got so upset with people who phoned in,the ignorance was astounding,had to turn it off!!

Prin
August 30th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Anybody notice how the options are baised towards the negative? 3 out of 4 of the answers if picked are admitting to some kind of pitty aggression... :mad: Not the way to make a poll.

love my dogs
August 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
What I don't understand is why people who really don't know all the facts are so passionate about it all. At the very least, pb's are living animals, and deserve to be treated as such. Do people forget that?
It seems like so many people flap their gums and make opinions when they are not even entitled to one because they know nothing!!!

When Carla Homolka was released, it was everyone's topic of conversation. I remember talking to this guy who went on and on as if he knew all about it.....his facts were not even close to the truth, or what was being reported. It was like he heard one sentence on the news, then jumped to all kinds of conclusions based on that. I argued with him for a while, but it was a waste of time because he was so sure of what he thought he knew. That is what people do, draw conclusions without bothering to become informed.

Luvmypit
August 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
A more telling poll would be based on how people came to their conclusions. Having formed an opinion on pit bulls would you say your main surce of information was:
the media?
research out side of media?
personal experience with a pit bull?
Dog organizations?
Vetranarians?

That would get people wondering at least is there more I need to know beyond the media. At least make them feel inadequate if they chose just the media then they would realize how dumb that is when they can't choose any other options.

With people who argue with me about pit bulls I just wait till they say something totally stupid (lock jaw, eating babies) then I usually break out laughing. I make sure I laugh long enough for them to feel a little stupid and then i feel better. Then you get them saying what what what. It works every time and they are more inclined to listen to you if you made it clear how ignorant they are being.

twodogsandacat
August 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
If you took one hundred people, allowed each side to present evidence and fact,could object each time a lie was told and then surveyed those one hundred people what would the vote be then?

The majority is uninformed plain and simple.

I attended the vigil on Sunday, I also have attended dog parks and I walk my dogs down the street. I have never seen over 100 hundred dogs behave as well as I saw those dogs behave. They were in the dark, strangers were walking around them with fire in their hands (candles), tails were being stepped on, people were walking up to strange dogs, speakers were using bullhorns, camera lights were shone in their faces, people were clapping and cheering yet there were no incidents. Try that with one hundred dog owners pulled off the streets and assembled.

I WILL DEFINITLY CONSIDER ONE OF THESE BREEDS WHEN IT IS TIME TO GET ANOTHER DOG AND I AM VERY CONFIDENT THAT THE CHIOCE WILL BE MINE NOT SOME PUNK ATTORNEY GENERAL'S.

Luvmypit
August 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Two dogs you are right. Those dogs were very well behaved. Very good point!

love my dogs
August 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Do you think that the vigil made a difference? Did it get a lot of press in TO?

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 04:23 PM
How many people/ dogs showed up for it.

Kierramax
August 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Check it out, 39% believe pit bulls are a dangerous breed, 40% believe not and the rest well are well....uncertain......yes the poll is ridiculous and there is only on pro pb response. I wonder if the people that responded to the polls even own a pet? And what will this poll do for my Kierra?

chico2
August 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I actually think the mood in the Newspapers(even The Star)is changing for the good of the Pit-Bull.I've seen many positive stories on the news,but I guess it's easy for them now,since the law is in effect.
Michael Bryant has certainly been scares :evil:

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Where is he now.

pitbulliest
August 30th, 2005, 10:17 PM
last time I heard, he has his head stuck up his azz...

Me and Kayla
August 31st, 2005, 06:40 AM
I actually think the mood in the Newspapers(even The Star)is changing for the good of the Pit-Bull.I've seen many positive stories on the news,but I guess it's easy for them now,since the law is in effect.
Michael Bryant has certainly been scares :evil:

I think you are right, chico2. I am seeing a bit of a climate change in the type of reporting that is coming from some of the journalists regarding this issue. I sent a personal thank you to Margaret Wente of the Globe for her last article about the ban. She responded with a huge thank you. Classy lady! However, I still haven't seen much of a change from the neanderthals at The Star.

Schwinn
August 31st, 2005, 08:47 AM
I read an article from the Liberal Star that talked about Clayton Ruby's press conference, and when they described the girl who the case is filed on behalf of, they made sure to add, "Ironically, (the girl) asked the media to step back until her dog was used to everyone there". The grasp every little thing that can be misconstrued as evidence against us, but gloss over anything that is in our favour.

babyrocky1
August 31st, 2005, 03:00 PM
Do you think that the vigil made a difference? Did it get a lot of press in TO?
I think that the vigil and all of the rallys and all the times we show up in person for hearings or debates it makes a difference. We have n ot been successful in stopping the ban YET, but if you don't think Mihael Bryant has us heavily on his mind, well lets just say Im certain he does. We have "dogged" him since the very first day and I honestly don't think he understood what kind of a fury this was going to cause. He is a classist pig- he really thought we would all be low lifes or thugs. Owners unable to articulate a political position and an easy target. With every step of this lobby, it seems to me, we have become a "movement" like it or not everyone, we are now "activists" each of us need to use our own strengths and determination to fight in whatever ways we are most comfortable with. For me the vigils and rallys are crucial to feel empowered. I didn't watch that much of the media coverage of the vigil as the last few days have been demanding in my personal life, as well aI have started to try and accustom Rocky to his assortment of muzzles :mad: I think it helps to know the people that you are standing shoulder to shoulder with, to know that they ar nice, smart, ethical people that you can be proud to fight with. Thats how I feel about the people who post here and thats how I feel about every single person I have met through this struggle! to Quote Melanie we are a great little "mob"! Sodiarity is everything right now. When we are out walking our muzzled pitties in our respective, sometimes hostile neighbourhoods it helps to know that we are supported by so many great, intelligent people. It will always help me to remember this particular vigil most of all. The dogs were amazing and the whole night was memorable! We pledged to fight on and most of us were in tears as the "pit bull" prayer was read.

Beckya82
August 31st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Hey, I saw a poll done last night on CP24 at 11pm and they had 2500 people vote yes that pit bulls were dangerous but 4532 had voted no that pitties weren't dangerous. I couldn't believe it!! I know I was one of the no votes, but I thought for sure it would be another bashing pit bulls story. It was a brief poll but a good one for us pit bull owners nonetheless. :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
August 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM
CTVs coverage of Ruby's press conference was surprisinbgly positive. The reporter even said that the bite statistics being quoted were wrong.. and pitty breeds weren't near the top even. My parents thought I was nuts... I was all 'whooo hoo' at the TV..

Wasn't as happy with the Torstar. Thought it was odd that the spokesperson from the THS said no more pittys are being abandoned more than ever.. though from looking at the site from the time the legislation was proposed to now, pits are seemingly taking up more and more room at the shelter.

When my roomie was looking for a dog november/ december, for 2 months, 9 pages of dogs most of the time, and about 2 pages not pit crosses.. seems far worse numbers wise now..

Still would love to offer my home to one, but my parents are half brain washed by media bias... I half unwashed them.. but the media has made them leery. :(

Beckya82
September 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Mafiaprincess, it's hard to un brainwash people if all they see is all the media hype. I've met a lot of people who are absolutely terrified of my pit bull and literally cross the street just so they don't have to walk beside her. It is unbelievable the power that the media has and all the fear pumping they do. We can only hope they'll start showing some of the good stories about pit bulls, but then again who is going to watch. They'd rather show the bad stories and up their ratings, unfortunately. Slowly introduce your parents to the facts on pit bulls, there are a lot if you do a google search. I know my boyfriends mom was terrified of pit bulls and after bringing Abby over a few times to met her she loves the breed. Sometimes it just takes one good pit bull to dispell all the myths surrounding the breed....

love my dogs
September 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
It's true.....my family thought I was nuts when I came home from the shelter with a pb pup. I took him over to my parents' house where I got lectured with all the mis information....and then Duke peed on the carpet....oops.

Anyway, since that day, we haven't really discussed any of the "issues", but just the other day, my mom started complaining about the ban....I'm not sure when she switched sides and changed her views about pitties, but somewhere along the line between 12 weeks and 10 months....he must have stolen her heart.

babyrocky1
September 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Awww...it always good to have the moms on side!...... ;) I went through that with Rocky when I brought him home to my co-op...Alot of skeptics, but he won them all over!!!