Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Driving in cars

fishndukee
August 30th, 2005, 02:57 AM
What is the best way to get your dog used to riding in the car without him pooping in the back of it during the car ride. After we get out he is sick the rest of the day,he throws up and has diarrhea. Then he's fine again. We go to the lake alot and would like to take him but I don't want to upset him or make him sick. Any suggestions? :sick:

doggy lover
August 30th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Depending on the size of the dog and your car, I have heard of people using crates in their cars which would be a good idea if it is vomiting and having bowel problems in the car. I have been lucky Tucker is great in the truck, never had any problems and concidering we drive 2 and a half hours to the cottage thank goodness for that. He has been going in our truck since he was 2 months and has never gotten sick or anything. He rides in the front seat with my hubby and I and normally sleeps or looks out the window.

BMDLuver
August 30th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I have similar difficulties with one of my dogs. She drools profusely as soon as we pack the car, goes like jello dog on the leash when you try to coax her in, drools and vomits the whole trip.. either to the vet's office or the cottage doesn't matter. We tried gravol as we thought perhaps it was motion sickness but it's definitely anxiety of some sort. She is presently taking Bio Calm, which is an all natural approach to anxiety and the holistic version of Cloma Calm. It needs to build up in their system for two weeks to a month to see the full effects. In the interim, we lightly sedate her for extended trips. She's 15 months old so the vet thinks with time she will overcome this.

doggy lover
August 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM
My parents dog was like that, she outgrew it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Joey goes went in the crate for the 6 hour drive up here. We hardly heard him the whole time. Otherwise he sits on the seat beside me. He loves car rides actually better than walks it seems. :)

I would suggest maybe a crate if he is used to one then maybe he will feel more stable and secure. :)

Prin
August 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Personally, I think in-car behavior is "luck of the draw". Some doggies are very comfortable in the car, others are disastrous.We took Boo everywhere with us in the beginning and he never got better. For long trips we drug him.

tenderfoot
August 31st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Agreed Prin.
We have a Golden that went everywhere with Doug in his truck and did great. First trip in my car to visit the in-laws and we had to stop 5 times to hose out the mess. I never dreamed one pup could produce such a mess 5 times over. With this pup it was a matter of the different kind of suspension of the vehicle that caused his problems. Back to the truck and no problems at all.
Most dogs do outgrow the problem by their first birthday, so don't despair.