Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey starts doggie school tonight

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM
:) :) We leave in one hour for Joeys doggie school. :) :)

Lets hope we pass with flying colours. ;) :) ;)

StaceyB
August 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Good luck, remember happy thoughts.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks, maybe Joey will think hes back in his dog show days. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Joey did great at doggie school. I actually really enjoyed and learned a lot. The trainer brought her 4 Border Collies that were very well trained. She is going to use them without the next 6 weeks to help us work with our dogs. I have to say that Joey had the best stay out of all the dogs. His heel and down still need some work though and he growled once at another dog that growled at him first (of course it was all the other dogs fault :) . )He actually did very well.

We did heel. She is teaching us to make our dogs obey because they want to not because they have to. We got the dog to feel comfortable being right next to our leg on a loose leash. So whenever Joey starts walking away I flick the leash until he feels uncomfortable and comes back on his own without me pulling him in. Not to hurt hum just so he feels uncomfortable. If I walk ahead and if he gets to far ahead I walk back and flick the leash until he comes back to myside on his own, or if I get to far forward I flick the leash until he catches up. Joey did great until his stubborn cocker side kicked in then I flicked the leash quicker and he listened and came right back.

They are video taping our dogs to see the progress throughout the class. :)

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know what your trainer has instructed you to do about practicing but with my students I suggest that they practice in short 15 minute sessions 4 times a day. If you walk him during the day include this time and make it a lesson. The training you do at home is more of a confidence booster for you. I think the most common thing I hear is, my dog does everything I ask him to do at home. They will, there is little to no distraction in your home. He already knows what to expect at home when it comes to sounds, smells, people, kids, etc. There is nothing new there. We know they will listen at home, the challenge is to get him to listen anywhere. The best schedule is just before breakfast, when you come home from work, before dinner, and in the evening before bed. This way you were able to get in an hour of training and you didn't have to block out a chunk of time to do it and several short sessions are more beneficial anyway because he gets almost everything out of 15 minutes but only a little over half with the 1 full hour. Always look for new areas to practice in or new routes to walk. The more new places he goes, the better he will be with distraction and will become more social. I have found that those students who try to do their training all at once tend to not find the time. Don't let this happen, get the most out of your training, Good trainers know who did their homework and who didn't. There is usually a little friendly competition, who's dog does it best.
I am happy to hear you are enjoying class.

Prin
August 30th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I have to say that Joey had the best stay out of all the dogs. I think all the doggies from pets.ca do the best in their classes. I wonder why? :D I'm really glad it's going well!! :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 30th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Stacey B
I don't know what your trainer has instructed you to do about practicing but with my students I suggest that they practice in short 15 minute sessions 4 times a day.

The trainer said just ten minutes a day. But I am cheating and doing more than that. We are only doing the loose leash walking. Making him walk right beside you on a loose leash.

I did it this morning on our walk and this afternoon when I took the kids and Joey to the dog park. I find training in the backyard really boring personally. This way he can get his walk and his lesson.

tenderfoot
August 31st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Good attitude Joeys mom! :highfive:
We tell our clients that it's not about doing 10 minutes here and 15 mintues there. It's about who you are with him all of the time. So anytime he is on the leash he knows what is expected of him. He is capable of heeling perfectly from this day forward - always. Sometimes it's just as much about keeping you both interested in the walk so things don't get sloppy.

StaceyB
August 31st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Of course practice every time a situation presents itself during the day. That is just common sence but there should be scheduled times to practice and reinforce everything you learn. The more you practice the better they get. As each location becomes reliable, try another.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 31st, 2005, 10:27 PM
Gave hubby a lesson in teaching Joey what we learned in class. Now he is out taking him for his evening walk. Of course I am spying from the window. :cool: I can actually see them walk almost to the corner. So far so good it seems.

StaceyB
August 31st, 2005, 11:39 PM
Sorry to all the guys here.
Men seem to need to be praised for their work to keep doing it. So give hubby lots of praise for his great training techniques.

tenderfoot
September 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Sometimes a good sctrach behind the ears works well too. :p

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 2nd, 2005, 10:14 PM
Joey wanted to pull like crazy tonight on the leash. I had to stand at our door jiggling his leash for about 5 minutes until he decided on his own to come and stand beside me.

Then off we went pulling again, I backed up stopped and jiggled the leash again until Joey came back to my side on his own. Then we walked nicely right beside me until we got to right beside the creek. Joey stops dead in his tracks right at the entrance and plants him self firmly on the ground. He does this each time at the exact same spot I am pretty sure he is smelling the beaver that lives in the creek and is scared by it. Stand off time - I will not give in I start jiggling the leash again (idea being that Joey will realise this is irritating and to stop it he must come next to me oon his own I cannot pull him into or its cheating according to the trainer) - but boy he can be stubborn if he wants. Darn Cockers I continue to jiggle the leash for more than 5 minutes finally Joey takes one step towards me..... not good enough he needs to be closer so I start jiggling again.... finally Joey obeys and comes to stand beside me. He looks at me and gets lots of praise.

Joey walks nicely home until we get to the corner where their seems to be a new dog barking inside. Joey gets very excited and tries to run ahead before he could I jiggled the leash Joey came back by my side and had his ears raised about 2 inches than they usually are. More praise again. Joey and I love our little training session.

StaceyB
September 2nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Keep it up, you're doing great.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 6th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Well Joey broke a record tonight in doggie class.

The trainer was demonstrating with Joey to the rest of the class. She was trying to make him heel without actually physically pulling him in to her. Joey can actually do it quite well most of the time, but he does have a definate stubborn streak, and it will be like there is no way I am going to do that and he will just plant himself and not move.

Well he did this with the trainer while we all watched. He was heeling and sitting nicely for her when all of a sudden he sat and braced himself on the ground. She had to snap his leash for about 15 minutes until he decided to go to her on his own. She said of all the dogs she has had Joey is the most stubborn. No dog has taken as long as Joey to heel. He did finally give in to her and was responsding to her in a positive way.

It looks like we have our work cut for us :)

This week we work on the sit, stay and down.

tenderfoot
September 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM
When he plants his butt on the ground DO NOT SNAP the leash. It should be a gentle pull until he takes one micro step towards you and then make the leash loose. Dogs understand pressure and release. When he pulls back he is creating pressure on his neck. The snapping won't teach him how to make himself comfortable - it just creates a stand off. Face him and gently pull him towards you - DO NOT stop pulling for any reason other than he has taken a step towards you then instantly make the leash loose. This is best done on carpet as a slippery floor will not give him any reason to take a step - he'll just slide around for hours resisting you. Repeat this drill until he steps towards you at the slightest pressure on the collar. Now he is learning that coming towards you releases pressure and arguing remains uncomfortable.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Tenderfoot,

I am not sure if snapping is the right word. It is more like sort of shaking the leash. We are told never to let the leash get tight. That is the method we are taught in class. I cant really the trainer that I am not going to do that. Joey for the most part is doing well he does definatley have a stubborn streak in him. Which I just have to work through with him.

I guess there are different training methods. If I was in your class tenderfoot I would definately do this method. But I am here in BC and only have access to the trainers in our area so I choose the one that works the best for us. I just think (in my opinion which of course is of an inexperinced dog owner that it may just confuse Joey if I do one thing in class and another when I am not in class)

Not to say I dont agree with you just that its difficult to follow your advice when I am taught something different.

http://keen-eye.com/

Here is my trainers website of you want to take a look.
Thanks for all your advice so far it has been really helpful.

tenderfoot
September 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I understand. I just feel the need to offer different angles on the same training session so that you can have all of the options available to you. It's rather like finding a religion at times. Some people find that a system works for them and they stick to it 100% without question. While others like to learn from several sources and do what works for their own belief system.
I just think that 15 mintues was awfully long (unless you were exaggerating, which is fine) to work on that one issue.

StaceyB
September 6th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I would just like to clarify that the 15 minutes of training that I was referring to was not for just one thing but all that was being worked on. Before moving from one to the next make sure you always end with success. My students usually have atleast 5 different things to work on each week.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 6th, 2005, 03:30 PM
StaceyB,
We did a short session already this morning and are about to do another one soon. The second week will be more intense and now I will need to spend more time with Joey. We are working on the sit, stay, and down now.

Well he did this with the trainer while we all watched. He was heeling and sitting nicely for her when all of a sudden he sat and braced himself on the ground. She had to snap his leash for about 15 minutes until he decided to go to her on his own.

Tenderfoot, well I did not have a watch on so I wasnt timing it maybe it just seemed like fifteen minutes but was actually five. She did say he took the longest of all the dogs she has had in her class though.The trainer did end on a positive note and gave Joey lots of praise when he came to her and heeled by her side.

Is it okay to mix up different kinds of training or wiil that just confuse the dog.

tenderfoot
September 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I know sometimes 15 seconds feels like a long time when you are waiting for your dog to respond. Again - I am toooooo literal at times.

You definately want to have a philosphy to follow so that you are clear about what you are doing and what to expect from your dog. That said - many of our clients come to us from different training backgrounds and worry that a new system will confuse the dog. Actually it tends to clarify things for everyone. We teach people how to communicate in a manner the dog already understands - so it really isn't about teaching the dog - it's about making the people more aware of how they are commmunicating effectively or ineffectively with their dog.

StaceyB - I was referring to something Joeys Mom had said, sorry if you thought I was addressing something you had said.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Joey is doing great in IMO. Except he is stubborn at times. I am learning now this is a cocker trait (have heard the same from other owners, must be the cocker attitude ;) ). HE is actually more stubborn with the trainer than with me. His aggression with other dogs is almost gone, he will growl back if a dog growls first but otherwise he seems to just want to say hello,
He has a girlfriend in the class a labradoodle named Chloe (Chloe and Joey how cute is that) the always sit by each other.

Joey can now, sit, stay, down and heel on leash. Last night we started learning to make our dogs stay at a distance and we were working off leash, he does well except for the down. We learned to step on the leash while they are sitting and then they have to lie down. In the beginning I pretty much had to make Joey do it. Now I just touch the leash with my foot and down he goes. The goal is to do it without the leash. We start on leash then take the leash off, as long as they are obeying they get to stay off leash, as soon as they dont on goes the leash and we have to make them do whatever it is that we asked them.

At home he will heel, sit and stay pretty much all the time.I can tell he thinks about the down because he will move his front paws slightly forward like he is going to do it then will go back to the sit.

Trinitie
September 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Good on you for being such a loving and doting parent!

Don't you just love the excitement of watching them learn something new and seeing the glint in their eye when they know it's good!!!

:love: :love:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 27th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I know I started this thead a while ago but I really wanted to give an update on Joeys doggie school.

Here is what he can do now. He can come, sit, stay and heel all off leash.

He can stay at a distance come half way stop and stay and come the rest of the way. He will also stay at the end of the room while I am on the otherside and all the other dogs are circling around him, then will come walk through all the dogs and come straight to me.

He can stay then I leave the building walk around it and come in another door and he will stay until I go to him.

We are still working on the down, he will do part of the time off the leash and will do it automatically if I just tap my foot on the leash.

Which IMHO is come along way from this http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18202

Next week is graduation where we get to see what level the made it to. There is 10 levels in all. I am feeling a bit nervous for me and Joey we will have to practice extra hard this week.

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I assume you are going to continue with his training.

Good luck at grad, take lots of pics.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Yes definatley there is another class starting in the spring, until then we will just continue practicing what we have learned.

They give basic dog obedience at the rec centre I thought of enrolling Joey in these classes in the meantime just to keep up with his training. The training method is different though so I dont know if that would be a good idea or not.

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 12:36 AM
You could always go and watch a class and see what you think.