Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Charley's sick again, we have an appointment in an hour

PetFriendly
August 29th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure how many of you read the posting I did a week and a half ago when Charley was sick. At the time he was throwing up in conjuction with mucus covered stool.

Today he had had a few bouts of the 'runs' in his x-pen while I was at work. We have an appointment booked for 17:40 to have him checked but I wanted to run something by you. Last week we were gone camping so Charley was with me 24/7. When we got home, we moved his x-pen from the kitchen (where he had a view down the hall that leads to the entrance and the bedrooms,) to the kitchen where he can only see what's going on in the living room and kitchen areas. Could the diarrhea have been caused by seperation anxiety because he's never pooped in the house before? Also when we got home, he wanted out badly, he tried to poop but I couldn't see anything (it might have been really runny and I missed it?!) he then asked for the door again 20 minutes later with the same result.

Is there anything specific I should ask the vet to screen for? Thanks..

Shannon
Charley's worried human.

PetFriendly
August 29th, 2005, 06:40 PM
The vet thinks it might be bacterial infection that he had been keeping at bay but the stress of being alone all day suppressed his immune system letting the infection get out of control... We have meds to take (antibiotics that have a stool firmer) for the next 8 days and an open door invite to bring him straight back in should the runs come back.

Again, any thoughts?

Prin
August 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Could be stress. Boo would get bouts of endless vomitting because of anxiety and about a week later, he would still be sick. It would disrupt his system and bad bacteria would take over. He also has an intolerance to chicken and that can bring it on, too.

BMDLuver
August 29th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Probiotic yogourt will also help out his system. It helps to put the good bacteria back in place particuliarly if he is on antibiotics. I hope he's feeling himself again very soon!

Prin
August 29th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Yes that's true! (I forgot about that... :o ) Acidophilus and the bacteria in yogurt can be given in pill for too.... :)

Karin
August 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Probiotic yogourt will also help out his system. It helps to put the good bacteria back in place particuliarly if he is on antibiotics. I hope he's feeling himself again very soon!

Bingo! This will restore the natural balance that is out-of-whack...works like a charm.