Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

introducing new cats to an exisiting cat home

ponophob
August 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I'm writing to get advise on how to introduce 2 older cats to a 2 cat household. That's pretty much the readers digest version. now the longer version. I have 2 cat's just over a year old and I've had them since they were 6 weeks old. 1 male (sachi) and a female (nikko). I have a freeking crazy sister that has essentially abandoned her to older cats Polly and Pooh which are sisters and approx 8-9yrs old. They both have had their front paws declawed (my cats have not) I want to rescue these poor girls, but I'm concerned how this will affect my babies (sachi & nikko). Can anyone give me sound advice on how to integrate these cat's into my household without anyone getting hurt?

Zues is my baby
August 29th, 2005, 03:25 PM
If you bring them in it's best to give them there own places to go when they need some space from each other but they should be ok. I have a PixiBob and Calico. We introduce the Calico to the Pixibob when she was about 1.5 yrs old and the Calico just as a little baby. We gave her a little box with a small entrance that only the baby could get in and that seamed to help now they are best friends. They are always sleeping together on our bed. It will just take some time. As well I forgot to say that the Pixibob does have her claws and there like fish hooks and loves to use them and, there wasn't a drop of blood shed other than our own. hahah

chico2
August 29th, 2005, 04:04 PM
It will be a slow process,whatever you do,don't dump them all together at once.
Keep them separated at first...it is a big difference introducing a kitten in to your cat-family.These are 2 adult cats.
Lucky Rescue will probably come on and give you her expert advice,we have the same question answered somewhere in the Forum.
Thank's for rescuing these 2 from a bad situation and for not declawing your own cats :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
August 29th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Thank you for wanting to help these poor cats!

When you bring them home, put them in a separate room and leave them there until they seem comfortable with their new surroundings. Each time you go in to feed them or clean their boxes, just sit and talk to them, offer them catnip or toys to get them to relax.

I would keep them there for at least two weeks. You can take whatever they sleep on, and exchange it for your own cat's blankets or beddng so they can all get used to each other's smell.

IN a couple weeks, just open their door slightly, so they can see your cats, and vice versa. If they react violently, or with a lot of fear, close the door and continue keeping them isolated.

The slower the introductions are, the better. If you have lots of patience, you should be able to peacefully integrate these new cats into your home!:)