Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diarrhea question

her122
August 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM
i know it says that if your dog has diarrhea to seek vet care but..... I know what caused it (I gave her a ham bone, bad me, NEVER AGAIN).

She is still eating and drinking and playful and all of that.

What I am wondering is how long is typical for this type of thing. She had the bone on Saturday, Sunday night was when the diarrhea started. This morning she still had it, but it seemed a tiny bit firmer.

Should I just watch her and make sure that it continues getting firmer?

Thanks

Tigger
August 29th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Call your vet and ask about getting an Rx for Neovast.

nymph
August 29th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Personally I wouldn't worry about it if the dog is eating, playing normally with no loss of appetite and still alart with usual amount of energy. I will just keep a close eye on the dog, give her something easy to digest like white rice and yogurt with probiotics. My vet recommended yogurt last time my pup had diarrhea.

However at the first sight of lethargy and loss of appetite, I'd bring my furbaby to see the vet.

Lucky Rescue
August 29th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I would fast her for 12 hours, then tomorrow give her something very bland, like boiled chicken and rice.

Prin
August 29th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I fast for a day, then give half the first portion the next day and see how it comes out. ;)

gomez
August 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Our vets said not to starve a puppy under 1 for more than 10-12 hours - and small bits of brown rice with boiled chicken and yogurt - and slurps of room temp water or broth (NOT from a cube, but from the chicken you just boiled...)

Hope she feels better soon!

by the way, we did the hambone thing also... once...

Prin
August 29th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks Gomez! I wasn't talking about puppies but anybody visiting the site with a sick puppy might have taken our advice anyway!! Puppies are much more sensitive and less robust than adults, and in the case of a puppy, I think it's best to ask your vet before trying anything. :)

puppy4ever
August 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
My puppy has the runs as well (and terrible gas too). It seems if I give him a new treat, he either vomits or gets the runs. I've tried scooby snacks & milkbone, peanut butter, cheese and hot dog...in that order and he seems to have a problem with all of them but especially cheese. Treats are important for training but now all give him is his regular dog food for a treat (never changed brands). We have a vet appointment in the morning.

Sorry the following is disgusting (make sure you aren't eating!)...he has a soft but solid stool then at the end it seems to be mucousy/frothy and finally watery. It is also quite yellow.

I'm thinking also that it might be other things from the yard that are irritating his tummy. It worries me that he eats everything! It seems I am always removing something from his mouth that looks harmful/poisonous! I've removed lawn mushrooms (are these poisonous?), orange berries from a tree, cigarette butts from the neighbour, insects, rocks(!), white fertilizer stuff in potting soil...the list goes on. I think I get most of what goes in his mouth but sometimes he swallows before I have a chance. Sometimes I wonder how he finds this stuff as I can looks for hours and not find it! He also eats a lot of grass!

Will he learn not to eat these things? Are there any treats that are super easy to digest? Thanks!

Prin
August 30th, 2005, 12:46 AM
I don't think he'll learn on his own. The reaction is too far away from the action for him to associate it. You should teach him the "leave it" command (it's explained several times in the training section if you do a search). I taught Boo "Get away from there" to use if he was sniffing a particular area a little too long for my liking.

melz
September 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM
Hi there,

My dog Mozart has experienced diarrhea a twice in the last couple of week. ( I think i have figured out what causes it... those bacon like treats or Purina t-bone treats.. as well as grass eating)

Anyway back to topic. A friend of mine knows someone who takes care of show dogs and she asked him what I could do to help Mozart.

He mentioned giving 1cc of Pepto Bismal / 12 hours and no food for 12 hours while controling my dog's water intake - to keep him hydrated. Tha being said, he did mention that it was not a good idea to give more than 1cc for a dog of 15lbs or less. If after 12 hours the problem hadn't subsided to give him a few table spoons of white rice mixed with pieces of boiled chicken. 24 hours no progress, bring to vet ASAP.

Now I've tried the pepto this morning before work and according to my father who went to check up on Mozart 3 hours or so later, he said that he looked good but was a bit slow, tired like. He's taken him outside for a run of the front yard and as far as I know there hasn't been any messes since.

I'll be able to post a follow up once i get home from work. I hope it worked!

jessi76
September 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking also that it might be other things from the yard that are irritating his tummy. It worries me that he eats everything! It seems I am always removing something from his mouth that looks harmful/poisonous! I've removed lawn mushrooms (are these poisonous?), orange berries from a tree, cigarette butts from the neighbour, insects, rocks(!), white fertilizer stuff in potting soil...the list goes on. I think I get most of what goes in his mouth but sometimes he swallows before I have a chance. Sometimes I wonder how he finds this stuff as I can looks for hours and not find it! He also eats a lot of grass!

Will he learn not to eat these things? Are there any treats that are super easy to digest? Thanks!

oh dear... yes, mushrooms in the yard can be DEADLY. try to remove them so your pup doesn't get the chance to eat them. fertilizer, cig butts, berries... not good for him either. He won't learn on his own not to eat them, you should teach him LEAVE IT, and DROP IT (or GIVE).

as for good treats, Solid Gold makes some great treats for training... turkey, beef and lamb jerky. I break each small square (treat) into quarters.

her122
September 1st, 2005, 08:27 PM
OK, I noticed that Ocean was solid again. Yippie. No more ham bones!!

melz
September 3rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
her122: How long did it take for your dog's stool to get solid again?

Mozart's had diarrhea last week, one stool out of the whole week, everything looked fine and solid.. but then since thursday morning, its started again. I gave him 1cc of pepto bismall as my friend's friend had recommended, that night he ate white rice.. During the day thursday everthing seemed fine.. ICKY info to come...his stool from thursday night were still pretty soft but not liquidy.. ... but looked like it was wrapped in slimmy white stuff. I figured it must of been the pepto. No diarrhea duing the night of Thursday to Friday.. but on friday (yesterday) he didn't poop much cause i was controling his food intake. Again soft stools but not runny.. and he vomited in the car and spitted a bit last night. burped a lot and this morning, runny stools.

I called the vet to make an appointment but the office called back to cancel because an emergency was brought in. So i brought him for a walk this afternoon, everything seemed to be getting more solid.. til tonight. He hasn't vomited today...

Mozart still has a good appetite. I changed his water to bottled water, thinking it could be from the tap. When I walk him I haven't let him sniff in the grass.. as I've noticed lately spots seemed more interesting to him. I've cut out treats. Today gave him .5 cc of pediasure (as this had worked to keep him hydrated when he was really sick this time of year last year - he was a pup who almost didn't make it)

I've noticed in his stool: when more solid, slimmy white coating of his stool
when runny: its a pasty, lots of dark - sand grain like particles.

Any ideas of what I can do til the vet office opens up -if not monday cause of the long weekend - on tuesday?

My father did say on thursday when checking up on Moe that he saw a dead bird on the side of the apartment building... Could that be the cause of this?

The receptionist at the vet didn't seem to worried about what I had explained. Didn't recommend anything other than watching where we take our walks and monitoring his appetite. She said as long as he's eating then there's nothing to worry about. when he'll start losing energy is when i should worry... bah.. I love my Mozart. I'm worried sick!

HELP!

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 10:43 PM
Ooooh.... I have always been told that you can get away with a little vomitting or a little diarrhea, but both means the doggy needs a vet asap. If you explained everything and the vet still didn't think the situation was important enough, I strongly suggest finding a new vet.

When Boo had his frequent bacterial overgrowths, the vet ALWAYS saw him the next morning- regardless of who he had to see first, and regardless of the fact that this visit might have been the 2nd in less than a month.... I just waited longer some days, but he still saw Boo.

I'd also say lay off the drugs for now. Pepto would just mask the symptoms, not treat them.

Pedialyte (unflavored) or similar products are great in cases like these because dogs (and cats) get dehydrated VERY quickly with the runs and vomitting.

But the vet should really see this doggy asap.

Cymba's friend
February 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
I am a new member and have just read this trail as I did a search on neovast. One thing struck me that from the trail, it would appear that the puppy "who eats everything in the yard" and has diarrhea does not seem to have had a stool test at the vet. My young German Shepherd also eats all sorts of things, and that can include racoon, rabbit or other droppings. He has been diagnosed with coccidia (protozoa) via a stool test. He is now being treated with neovast (which is why I did my search on the product). If a puppy has on going diarrhea, although I am not a vet, I would recommend that your vet perform a stool test to ensure there is not a hidden root cause that should not be neglected, and that will not be cured with rice or probiotics (although both will help during and after the elimination of the parasite, should there be one.

helldini
February 25th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I also am I new member of the board & was looking for advice on my dog's current diarrhea issue. She has had this problem for a couple of days now. I've been giving her rice & boiled chicken & she gobbles up the small portions I giver her, so her appetite's still there. She's been drinking plenty of water & she's been acting like her same old self...not lethargic at all. This morning my husband took her out for her walk & her stool seemed to be firming up, but still mostly liquid.

I was looking to see if Pepto would help, internent search led me here...I'm on my way to the drugstore to pick some up, but my question is, how long do you think I should wait it until I take her to the hospital? One more day? Two more days? It's the fact that she's been acting quite normal that doesn't have me worried as much as past problems.

Also a friend of mine reccomened I add a little non-flavored Pedialyte to her water to help with dehydration... I've never heard of doing this so I thought I should probably ask before doing that!

jawert1
February 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Honestly, human remedies are for humans, and while some will work for pets, not all and never is it consistent (diff. dogs react differently to different things). She needs to go to the vet now since diarrhea dehydrates, and the vet can run tests and then prescribe the proper meds.

Prin
February 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I don't recommend trying anything until you know what is happening. Pepto might stop the diarrhea, but it won't solve the problem. If the dog's body is flushing something bad out, why would you want to stop it without actually treating it? I'd head to the vet today as they're usually closed Sundays.

Cymba's friend
February 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I also support going to see the vet if diarrhea persists. As an example of not playing vet, my horse vet gave me several examples of horses that had died because they had a respiratory virus, the owner had given them Bute which masks the symptoms but not treat the cause. They thought they were better but the illness progressed until they had a colic and were brought to St. Hyacynth where they died as it was too late to salvage them. The autopsy showed that they had in fact an illness that could have been treated with antibiotics (in that case) and would have saved them. Sometimes with good intentions we do things that can cover up symptoms for a while, but I think when in doubt, and if diarrhea persists, going to see the vet is the best strategy. Better safe than sorry - and the earlier something gets treated the better! Good luck.

helldini
March 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I took her to the Vet & she's on the antibiotic Metronidazole & Pepcid. Vet said she has stress colitis, triggered by my husband leaving town for the weekend. She is very close to her daddy & this upset her a lot. (When he was gone she was sleeping in his dirty clothes pile, snuggling his jacket, etc) However since I took her to the vet, she's been very upset with me. She hasn't been eating as much as she was a few days ago. I've tried everything the vet told me, she's lost 2lbs total and since she's a small dog that's a huge amount. She normaly weighs 16lbs, now down to 14lbs. I've tried comforting her, snuggling her, she wants nothing to do with me. I can't lie, I feel upset by this too... but I don't know what to do? This has also caused a strain on my marraige since the dog wants her dad home more, but he has to work, so I'm trying to take care of a dog who wants nothing to do with me... She has another Dr appointment Monday, but any suggestions in the meantime? Does Metronidazole curb your appetite in any way? I wouldn't think so, but again I don't know.

LL1
March 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yes it can cause loss of appetite.