Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tornado? You think?

Bearsmom
August 28th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Photos of weather that hit Orangeville and area August 19/05. Methinks she was a tornado, no?

Bearsmom
August 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
And another.....

Byrd
August 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Looks like a microburst.

Microburst
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air, producing damaging straight-line winds similar to, but distinguishable from tornadoes. The term was defined by severe weather expert Tetsuya Theodore Fujita as affecting an area four kilometers (or 2.5 miles) in diameter or less, distinguishing them from downbursts, which can encompass greater areas. They also can be powered from the high speed winds of the Jet stream. Microbursts are recognized as generating wind speeds as high as 75 meters per second (168 miles per hour).

Danger to aircraft
The scale of a microburst makes it a great danger to aircraft, particularly those which are taking off and landing.

DogueLover
August 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Looks like something wicked was headed in that general direction, tornado or not if I saw that out my window, I would be heading for underground and FAST> :eek:

chico2
August 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM
WOW!! Those are amazing pictures!! The powers of nature!!

Prin
August 28th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I'm gonna have nnnightmares again!! :eek: :eek:

doggy lover
August 30th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I'd be running for cover that for sure, great pictures. I have a cottage near Markdale and it terrorfies me when we get tornado warnings. I drove up that weekend, but we came after all that fun.

Bearsmom
August 31st, 2005, 04:31 AM
These were taken right before the funnel clouds appeared (I have one somewhere of the funnel cloud forming just before it touched down in Fergus).