Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog not eating and not pooping

leeflohr
August 28th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Hi I have a 9 month old Bischon ****zu. This past Friday I brought him up to visit my father and since he has gotten here he has not eaten very much of anything, and in addition to that he has not pooped at all. When he was just 2 months old I let him play out in my backyard when so dumb kids threw a bag of trash at him and he started to eat it because he smelt shrimp tails, now he tries to eat garbage and particularily likes used sanitary napkins and tampons. Last night he did munch on a couple of pork rib bones which my granny snuck to him and a few scooby snacks. How well do Dogs digest foreign material like this and can I do anything to check if this is a problem?. How many days also should a dog go without pooping before I get concerned because he hasnt pooped since Friday and now its sunday.

Thanks
-Lee-

the gang
August 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
asap to the vet, and NO bones like that, if you have to put him on a lead keep us posted. good luck :fingerscr

Prin
August 28th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I think this doggy should go to the vet ASAP. Something might be blocking his gastrointestinal tract. X-rays would be best in this situation.

StaceyB
August 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
My dane never wants to eat well when we stay away from home but when a dog doesn't have a bm there may be a serious problem. Take him to the vet asap. Tell granny she isn't helping by sneaking him things that are dangerous.
By the way, you don't need to block the spelling. Shih tzu(no swearing in this name)

leeflohr
August 29th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all of your help yesterday he had 2 BMs and started eating again....maybe hes like a human and gets bunged up after long trips (my 4 hour drive turned into 6.5 due to insane contruction outside calgary) but hes eating and pooping and doing great!

Thanks

Lee and Bailey