Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Red and bloody sores on Cat's chin only

MomOfDiva&Simon
August 28th, 2005, 04:32 AM
I was grooming my Maine Coon (Diva) just last night and noticed that on her chin area ONLY, there are little spots that are red and some are bloody. She is not bleeding but the blood has dried on some of the spots. From what I can see there are 6 of them, all about a nail head (or smaller) in size. There is no puss, and she doesn't seem to be affected too much by them (she is eating, playing, being her usual self). I have no changed food, or food bowls, I haven't started using anything different (detergents or shampoos etc).

I gave an emergency call to the vet and he said that it could be that my other cat has been fighting with her and clawed her chin area(?) By why would it only be her chin? He also said it could be a newly developed allergy.

My question is this...Does anyone have any experience with this or know what it really could be? Are there any topical creams or ointments I can buy to help her?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, there is only one vet here in town so I cannot call and see a different one. The next closest vet is approx. 200 km's away and Diva gets traumatized by car rides (she vomits and has the shakes for a couple of days after). Please help!

Karin
August 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Sounds like cat "acne".

cpietra16
August 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM
My cat had the same thing...went to the vet in a panic just to be told that it was cat acne. Does not bother my cat and she still has it around her chin now coming on 4 years. The vet never told me to give her anything. If you are not sure just take her in to make sure its not something else.

Lucky Rescue
August 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Agree with Karin - could be feline acne. Make sure her food/water bowls are not plastic.

You can get mild benzoyl peroxide soap, the kind made for human acne, and gently clean and dry the area a couple times a day.

MomOfDiva&Simon
August 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM
...to all who gave their input thank you!. Lucky, I bought some of the mild benzoyl peroxide and have been using it. So far so good. She hates me when I put it on her, but buddies up to me afterwards.

Her food bowls are not plastic, they are stainless steel. I have heard horror stories about plastic bowls.

Thanks again! :grouphug:

PetFriendly
August 29th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Her food bowls are not plastic, they are stainless steel. I have heard horror stories about plastic bowls.

Hi There

My room-mates sickly cat can only use ceramic dishes otherwise he gets that acne problem too. Switching dishes might be worth a try?!

happycats
August 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM
My cat had sores (scabs) on his chin, and it turned out to be an abscessed tooth.

chico2
August 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
My all white cat Vinnie had feline acne,although it was never bleeding,looked more like black-heads.It was quickly cleared up with 2% Chloroxyl Scrub from the vet.

Tess'Momma
August 29th, 2005, 06:59 PM
My cat started getting the same thing when he was about a year old. Unfortunately, his usually starts to spread from his head down his body. At first my vet thought it was some kind of genetic problem. I changed his food to Holistic Eagle Pack and he was good for about a year; however, it did come back in time. (He is 4yrs now.) Because it got better with the change of food, my vet now thinks it is allergy related. If you find that your kitty's sores start to cover his body you can take him in for a steriod shot and it will clear it up in about 3 days completely. For awhile I had to take my cat every month, but now he can go months at a time. At this moment, he is having another breakout and I am monitoring it to see if he gets much worse, sometimes it just clears up on itself.

Sneaky
August 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Hi there,
likely it is cat acne. My 12 year old Ragdoll has a case
of this. It really irritates him and he itches it. I have just about
got it all cleaned out by using the medicated acne soap "Tersaseptic".
It is available in most pharmacies, and it works for the most stubborn
cases of cystic and regular acne. I started using it and he has cleared
up almost completely in only 3 weeks time.
It cost me $7.00 for the soap, and saved me probably a minimum
of $70.00 at the vet. Give it a try, it works wonders. I noticed a dramatic
improvement in only 3 days time.