Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

we rescued 2 kittens with runny eyes..help(i have other cats)

ktrygrl
August 27th, 2005, 10:41 PM
we found 2 kittens on the side of the road starving to death so of course i brought them home.they have runny eyes(yellowish) and i was wondering what it could be?i have other cats also.they are eating like little hogs :thumbs up .and drinking plenty of water.one kitten didn't have the runny eyes until yesterday only in one eye.i read on here that i can give them some kind of onion..where do i get it..i forgot the name of it :mad: i am taking them tuesday to a pet vac to get their shots but i don't have the money to take them to a real vet as we were not planning to find 2 starving kitties.

Lucky Rescue
August 28th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for taking these babies home. I don't know what "onion" you mean, but do NOT give them anything like this or any medication of any kind.

They could have an upper respiratory infection, and the fact that the discharge is yellowish could mean a secondary infection that requires antibiotics.

Do not vaccinate sick kittens.

Until you can get to the vet, wipe their eyes and noses free of discharge and make sure they are eating and drinking.

You can keep them confined away from your other cats, but even if your older cats catch the virus, it does little harm in healthy adult cats.

ktrygrl
August 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM
thank you.it was on here about giving the cats onions for colds.i typed in cats with colds.it said that a vet was saying this but i won't give it to them

Lucky Rescue
August 28th, 2005, 09:03 PM
it was on here about giving the cats onions for colds

Can you link to this information? Since onions are toxic to cats, I doubt any vets would advise feeding them!

Karin
August 28th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Can you link to this information? Since onions are toxic to cats, I doubt any vets would advise feeding them!

Could have been a typo or misread as ointment?

cpietra16
August 31st, 2005, 08:05 AM
My cat has rhinosinustisis (sp?) and I as I am looking up some research I saw this...now I know what you mean as "onion"
Homeopathic remedies that may be useful for common colds are: Allium cepa (onion)... just think of what happens to you when you cut into a juicy onion and those are the symptoms it treats.

justncase
August 31st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Am I actually reading what I think I'm reading? You have two kittens who are sick and have " runny eyes(yellowish)" then you say " i am taking them tuesday to a pet vac to get their shots "
Your kittens are already sick, they either have an upper respiratory infection or some other kind of infection. Either way you kittens have a depressed immune system. Vaccinations are pathogens that injected right into the body. That further depresses the immune system. If you have more than one vaccination then that's one,two or three pathogens injected into the body of your already sick kittens.
Dr. Allen Schoen, DVM , famed vet , author and lecturer always said not to vaccinate the sick the old and the very young. He said it with good reason. Your kittens fall into two of those categories.