Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey likes to sit on lap

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 27th, 2005, 11:35 PM
This may seem like a trivial ? but I am wondering what this means in doggie language. Joey likes to sit on my lap whenever I am sitting. He not only likes to sit on my lap he has to be as close as he can possible get, usually with his head right next to mine and often he hugs me with his paws. He then groans and grunts into my ear almost like hes talking. Is this a behaivior I should stop,(the grunting part is kind of cute) if I want to pay attention to my kids or have them sit next to me then I will tell him off and ask him to stay and he will lie down on the end of the couch (takes a few times but he will do it). Is it okay to allow Joey to sit on me some of the time, but not all the time or will this just confuse him. I have a feeling I know what the answer is already. ;)

StaceyB
August 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
lol, Try having a great dane sit/lay on you. Montana will back up and sit on my lap while I am in a lawn chair.
It is fine if you want to allow it as long as you are always the decision maker.

Prin
August 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Dominance. ;) I would let him ONLY after you're sure he knows who is boss. When he does, he should ask permission first, and never get up on you without asking.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM
:D How does he ask permission if he cant talk?

Prin
August 28th, 2005, 12:10 AM
He comes over, looks at you with HUGE sappy eyes, puts his head on your lap.. Same way he asks for permission to have a bite of your sandwich. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 28th, 2005, 12:13 AM
In that case he would have to put his head on my foot or shin as he is too short to reach my lap when I am sitting on the couch. His eyes are in a constant state of sappy. :) But I get what you mean thanks. :)

Prin
August 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
His eyes are in a constant state of sappy. I actually saw that in the pictures you posted. It's really true! :D

StaceyB
August 28th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Every now and then get him to get down for no specific reason. Not just when the kids want to sit beside you. You must always be the one in control. This way he will not see the kids as the ones that make him leave. He will also learn that he is there because you allow him to be not because he has chosen to be.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Stacey B
Every now and then get him to get down for no specific reason. Not just when the kids want to sit beside you. You must always be the one in control. This way he will not see the kids as the ones that make him leave. He will also learn that he is there because you allow him to be not because he has chosen to be.

That is what I have been doing. Truthfully I dont mind him on me some of the time, but all the time is a bit much. I tell him off ( I usually have to push him, then sit and stay so he won't come back on. After a couple of times he will go to the end of the couch or on the floor, or he will go seek out the attention of the kids or hubby which is good.

tenderfoot
August 28th, 2005, 10:15 AM
It is great that you are questioning these behaviors and making sure that you are responding properly. Everyone has given great advice.
Think of this - everything Joey does is deliberate. When a dog comes and sits on your foot and we think how cute. He is thinking "hummmm,wonder if she'll let me sit on her foot." "hummm wonder what I can get a way with next time". Or those great big sappy eyes he stares at you with - cute as it is - he is saying "pet me NOW" and if you pet him without asking him to do something for you first, you just said "yes SIR!"
Now, you don't have to be really anal about any of this unless he is poorly behaved and your relationship is out of balance. Certainly it is fine to permit some stuff if his manners are good and he listens to you well. A good dog earns more freedoms and a poorly mannered one loses them.