Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urine in Hockey Skates

susieqt
August 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I need some advice from all you guys! My son had his first hockey game today and went to put on his skates when he discovered that a dog had urinated in them. Needless to say, the skate smells!! How can I remove the smell from the skate? They are new, Nikes, and were expensive so I would like to salvage them if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Prin
August 27th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I don't know how to get the stink out without drenching them, but I have to ask... What is worse, pee smell or hockey feet smell? :yuck: :D

DogueLover
August 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I would give this a try as it works for the stain/odor on other areas(furniture, carpets etc,) and even though you may have to soak the skate, and then let it dry out( maybe overnight or longer) I think it would be worth a try. If you leave it the dog will do it again. Any scented shoe spray etc will not take away the smell and the dog will remark his territory.
Give it a try, that would be pretty gross, and my bet is that it would smell worse on top of the sweaty foot smell :eek:

BMDLuver
August 29th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Well, the upside is that urine cures athletes foot so if he gets in contact with it in the locker room he'll be safe. :)

I would try some baking powder inside the skate first to help draw the odour up that way, leave it in for 24 hours then vacuum out. Then spray with Nature's miracle so that the dog doesn't decide to repeat it again.

Dogastrophe
August 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Pull the foot liners out and set them aside. Give the inside of the skates a shot of hot water with a mild detergent. Set aside to dry slowly. Clean the liners with some clothes detergent (don't run them thru the machine). When everything is dry, give them a spray with ferbreeze or another deodorizer. Alternatively, sprinkle some baking soda on them and in the skates. The smell won't last long (the hockey feet smell will quickly overtake the urine smell).