Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OMG holy terror tonight!

puppy4ever
August 27th, 2005, 12:11 AM
My 9 week old puppy went bonkers on me! After a beautiful day of no accidents in the house and perfect behaviour he peed on the kitchen floor right in front of me. Then he peed on the papers I was reading (I do not use newspaper at all for training - always outside). He then returned to the room I was in with paper towel in his mouth and I recognized it as the paper that I put down on the floor to clean up his mess (I wait until my husband is back from work so the puppy doesn't see me cleaning it up). I tried to take it from him and got it and then he went back for more like it was a game. He then hid under a chair that was difficult to get to.

I'm worn out...need a massage! I know the puppy was probably just playing but it's strange how he just went nuts as soon as I started doing other things. I think he is used to me paying attention to him 24/7 as I have taken time off work to look after him. Now that I want to actually do other things, he is acting out. Is my guy spoiled? :confused:

shannonRN
August 27th, 2005, 01:07 AM
What a little stinker! Ain't puppies great?

StaceyB
August 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Puppies want to be the focus of attention most of the time. They also turn into little devils about an hour before bedtime.

tenderfoot
August 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM
It's best to teach him how to be alone in addition to all of the attention you have lavished on him. Unfortunately, giving him so much attention has set things a little out of balance and now he expects the world to revolve around him. Balance in all things.
Quick question - why do you not want the puppy to see you clean up the mess?

puppy4ever
August 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Seems like this is a puppy thing to do before bed! I'm happy to see that he isn't afraid of us anymore at least! Looks like we are going to need lots of training classes though.

Tenderfoot, I've read that you shouldn't clean up a puppy's mess in front of him/her because it shows that you are submissive to them. The same idea as eating first, etc. I'm not sure if there is any truth in that.

tenderfoot
August 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Personally I think that is taking things way too far. The mother eats her puppies mess to clean the den but the puppy doesn't think she is submissive to him. I am sorry some training advice seems to fly in the face of reason and that's one that really boggles my mind.
The eating is front of your dog can make sense because the leader does eat first but for all of the dogs that we have raised we have never had the need to follow through with such a regime. If you put your dogs food down and then he sees you pick it up 10 minutes later he knows you are in charge of the food - just like a good leader.

puppy4ever
August 28th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I wondered about this as people always (or rather should always) pick up after their doggie when walking with no adverse effects. I found the source for this info - A Guide to Raising a Puppy by Liz Palika/Alan Gomberg where it says "Scoop him up and take him outside. Then clean up the mess but do not let him watch you clean it up. (In dog and wolf packs, only subordinate pack members would clean up this way.)"