Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Concerned About a Family Member and Animals

CyberKitten
August 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM
This is not really a non pet question but it does refer to a person who works with pets.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about my cousin - the former nurse who works as a vet tech. She now has 8 cats, 3 dogs and 1 rat. I know some ppl are used to having large numbers of animals in their home but increasingly municiaplities are creating laws regarding the number of animals one may have in certain areas - esp residential areas and to be honest, I am not sure they are entirely wrong, especially if the people in question do not properly care for the animals and the neighbourhood has to do so.

Anyway -- my cousin (Must run in the family, lol) is an animal lover and often when ppl bring in their kitties to be PTS, she will tell them it was done when in actual fact she keeps the cat herself. I personally salute her for doing this - you cannot believe the reasons ppl bring in beautful, young and healthy animals for euthanization. But many of you do, sadly!! However, I think the better route would be to find a foster family and eventually a forever home for the cat or dog or bunny. (or other) It is at the point where she and her husband have purchased a farm - and moved from their home - so she will have room. She is more than responisble. The problem is she cannot save them all and she does not seem to realize this. Or I mean, she does not need to do it alone. She knows the SPCA is not always an option given that they can PTS cats for the flimsiest of reasons and family pets have been euthanized when not picked up in time.

What do you think? Am I over-reacting? She also has several horses. Maybe I should talk to her about starting a Rescue group, I don't know. (Like I have time for that - but something needs to be done...)

Thanks in advance!

Prin
August 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM
That can become a serious problem. She can just keep acquiring more and more and mean well, but at a certain point, none of the animals are getting enough attention. I think you have to bring it to light in some way, but her starting a rescue- I don't know. It depends on how attached she gets, I guess.

CyberKitten
August 26th, 2005, 09:12 PM
That's what I worry about - one reads so many stories about hoarders these days and she is emotionally vulnerable, having lost a family member and is in grief counselling. I have to wonder if she is filling her grief up through these animals - she could not save the family member so she is saving the animals. I do plan to discuss it with her - just want to be sure I am not over reacting. Her mother was upset to find her former home smelled of cat you know what and thinks while she looks after them well, she does work almost FT and these animals are alone alot. And now they are out in the country, away from the city.

Prin
August 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I don't think it's overreacting to show concern. Calling animal control is overreacting... ;)

doggy lover
August 31st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Thats why I could never do what she does, I would be just as bad. I wanted to be a vet growing up but couldn't do is because of having to pts animals. I understand if the animal is deathly sick with now chance of survival but to pts a healthy animal for stupid reasons, couldn't do it. If they are all fed and happy and healthy as long as she doesn't get too crazy why not. I'd like to look into being a foster parent or a mini shelter when I retire up at my cottage.