Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

letting me know when she needs to go outside

MollysMommy
August 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I haven't quite been able to figure out how to get Molly to let me know when she needs to go outside. I always seem to recognize the signs like when she gets antsy or hyper, but no one else does. I would like her to be able to tell us when she needs to go. And since we live in an apartment, barking is not an option. My grandmother (who is starting to lose her mind) has told me a story at least fifteen times about her friend who has trained her dog to ring a bell on the door when he/she needs to go outside. Not only do I think this is a great idea, I feel it is a sign from God for me to try it since this story has been repeated to me more often than I would like. :) Any ideas/links on how to get Molly to do this or something similar?

melz
August 26th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I've heard this as well. A co-worker of mine says she had trained her poodle hit a bell hung from the door nob.

I was thinking of training Mozart to do this as well.

She says that when you hang the bell from the door, its gotta be at your dogs height. Everytime you bring himout you take his paw and make him hit the bell. Once he comes back in, wait by the door to see if he hits it on his own. if not repeat the above. Once he hits it on her own, you let the dog out, once back in, wait, if he hits it again give a treat and let him out if not repeat again.

She says it takes a lot of patience but its very much worth it. especially if you're not paying attention and the dog wants out, you'll know right away.