Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Staph infection

Novabluegrl
August 26th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I have a blue doberman...of course I got her before I found out about all of the problems this breed has. She has had staph for about a month, the vet put her on 250mg of Clavamox, she was looking great until day before yesterday...I am noticing several new bumps. Is this normal, will more antibiotics cure this or am I looking at injections? I have already spent a lot of money and just want to make sure I dont waste money on the wrong treatment, I am also disabled with limited income. I would appreciate any input, thanks Cheryl

Lucky Rescue
August 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear this. The dilute gene that causes the blue colour also can cause a host of skin problems in the Doberman. Generally, the lighter the blue, the worse the problems, and can sometimes include total alopecia by the time the dog is 2 or 3 years old.

I've heard of cephalexin being used to treat these symptoms, but it can be very difficult to eradicate this.

Have you contacted the breeder about this? Did he/she tell you about the problems associated with blue? How old is your dog?

Karin
August 26th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear this. The dilute gene that causes the blue colour also can cause a host of skin problems in the Doberman. Generally, the lighter the blue, the worse the problems, and can sometimes include total alopecia by the time the dog is 2 or 3 years old.

I've heard of cephalexin being used to treat these symptoms, but it can be very difficult to eradicate this.

Have you contacted the breeder about this? Did he/she tell you about the problems associated with blue? How old is your dog?

Lucky Rescue is right on with using cephalexin. It would require long term use which would also make it much safer and cost effective too.