Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What liquid to add to cat food?

Crosscheck
August 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
One of our cats Hawk lost his front bottom teeth ( between the fangs ) due to a dental problem now resolved. He was having trouble chewing dry food so we switched him to canned food. He seems to eat the "pate" type without much difficulty until the broth is gone. What liquid can I add to the food when the broth is gone but some solid food is left? We've kept cats as well as a menagerie of other pets healthy and happy for 25 years now but this situation is new to us.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

happycats
August 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Crosscheck, nice to meet you! :)

I know they make gravy for dogs (I believe pedegree pal makes it) that may work, or you may want to add just a little warm water.

Prin
August 26th, 2005, 02:56 AM
hmmm. Dog person here, so not much for kitties, but they can eat rice right? Rice water is pretty easy to digest in doggies... Maybe kitties too, and she'd get some vitamins too. Or potato water? Maybe I'm wayyyy off, but kitty owners should be here tomorrow... :o

Be careful with gravies though. They can be extremely salty...

chico2
August 26th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I would feed Hawk only "pate"kind of canned food,if not wet enough adding a little warm water usually will do the trick.
When I buy anything chunky,or slices my cats only lick the gravy,won't touch the chunks and they have all their teeth.

jessi76
August 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I would feed Hawk only "pate"kind of canned food,if not wet enough adding a little warm water usually will do the trick.
When I buy anything chunky,or slices my cats only lick the gravy,won't touch the chunks and they have all their teeth.

exactly the same for me, I have two cats, they eat 1/4 can each for dinner. They too, lick all the gravy first, and I usually have to mash up the chunked or sliced kind. I also add a bit of hot water to the can and mix it up before feeding. Since I refridgerate 1/2 can for the next day, this warms the food & adds gravy.

Crosscheck
August 26th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Water works well. After all of my thoughts and ideas on this subject I feel a little stupid for not considering the obvious. Thank you all for your replies! :thumbs up
Ken

Prin
August 28th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Is he eating better?

StaceyB
August 28th, 2005, 01:32 AM
What about stirring the food so that it is equally blended before feeding. Your cat will figure out how to get the job done with some practice. Canned food doesn't have enough taurine so you may need to supplement. I would also start cleaning your cats teeth after each meal to prevent further dental problems.