Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Calico (Bella) Montreal Pierrefonds

aussiemedogs
August 25th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Anyone who can please cross post this where ever you can. We came home from our vacation yesterday and Bella somehow got out today without my knowledge. We have spent many hours looking for this girl to no avail.

Bella is a 3-4 yr old female Calico, long hair, very pretty girl and extrememly friendly, but may be somewhat scared right now as she has never been outside. Sheis spayed, but sometimes suffers from urinary infections if she is fed the wrong food. If you have seen Bella or know if she has been picked up please let me know.

Hopefully she is still in my area and we will find her but until then please if you see my cat let me know a.s.a.p. (Tango her buddy my other cat is going out of his mind and driving us nuts with his meowing)!
BMDLvr call me tommorow if you can.

Thanks everyone!Keep your fingers crossed! :fingerscr

chico2
August 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Oh noooo,I hope you find her soon..indoor cats usually don't venture very far.
My Chico was missing for only an hour and I just about freaked,my neighbors indoor cat was gone for 2 weeks and was found only 4 houses away,someone luckily had been feeding her and then called HS.
:fingerscr for Bella!

Rainy
August 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Pierrefonds is quite a large area.you can narrow your location down some without revealing your addy. :) I'm between St.Charles blvd and Des Cageux area.Is this near you? Post pics of your sweetie please so i can keep a look out for her.Good luck.

aussiemedogs
August 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Happily reporting that Bella never left the house in fact......although we searched the entire house from top to bottom and called her and shook her treat bag etc and she still never came out from wherever she had been hiding.

It seems that Bella had decided that she doesn't like when we go away and has now developed a serious problem, she will not and has not eaten in who knows how long and hasn't drank anything either so she has now developed jaundice, dehydration and some form of liver problems which she is now being tube fed (at the vets) in hopes that she will want to continue on with her life. Me being who I am will be visiting her 2x a day in hopes of sparking something in her little pea brain that will help her through this!

Geez and I thought kids tried to run your friggen lives.......WRONG!

Anyhow thanks everyone for watching out for Bella.
Will keep you all posted!

chico2
August 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I am happy she was found,but concerned about her condition,what traumatized her to the point where she did not eat???
Anyways,I am happy she's not out roaming the streets of Montreal and hope she'll get well soon :love:

aussiemedogs
August 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM
August 27th

They tried to tube feed her today......she ended up in such severe pain and vomiting. (NOT A GOOD SIGN) I don"t know what is going to happen to my little one but it doesn't look to good for her at present. I went and spent 2 hours there brushing her and just petting and talking to her, she used to be such a fighter and now I see her as being totally helpless. The vet figures that our being away for 3 weeks triggered this anxiety in her, although there was someone here 24hours a day and another cat whom she lives with here, he said the stress caused her to become anorexic etc.... I'm expecting a huge vet bill...four figgured one that will take some time to pay, but in my eyes do you let one of your furrbutts go do to money? Most of my friends said yes....I on the other hand chose the debt! I just hope she finds the means to want to come back home with me.
Please keep your fingers crossed that she is able to keep in the tube feeding that she will recieving tommorow.........if she doesn't keep it down then I believe all hope for Bellas recovery will end. :sad:

Bellas condition:

Feline hepatic lipidosis (FHL), also known as "feline fatty liver syndrome," is the most common form of liver disease in cats in North America. The disease is unique to cats; it is not found in other companion animals.

The condition is triggered when a cat stops eating due to stress, another disease or for any other reason. After a few days without food, the cat's body will begin to use fat for energy. Cats do not metabolize fat well; therefore the fat cells build up in the liver and eventually prevent it from functioning normally. FHL is very dangerous for cats and can be life threatening if left untreated.

Lucky Rescue
August 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Bella.:(

Has the vet mentioned the possibility of an intestinal blockage? It's so unusual for a cat to starve itself in it's own home. Even the worst scardy-cats, and even feral cats, will come out to eat late at night.

aussiemedogs
August 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM
They tested her and she has Hepatic Lipidosis trust me all the tests were done.....I got a pretty hefty vet bill! I just want my cat back is all and I want her healthy! My cats are to much a part of us and that is why the vet figures she starved herself while we were away. I have one that is we don't pay enough attention he would use the crawl space as his own little toilet.....we then spent more time with him and the problem was resoved, the vet tells me it is all a mind thing with my cats.

My cats are not independant, they latch on to us and are more like dogs as they come when called, they both know the sit command and sit pretty...my kitties are a huge part of our family...the other cat has been screaming for days and days....this is going to be really hard on him as well as us.

But......I haven't given up hope! :)

chico2
August 27th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I am really sorry too,but in hind-sight,the person looking after the cats should have made sure she ate,even if he had to feed her under wherever she was hiding.He/She should never just have let her be,you are very lucky she's still alive and it's the fault of whoever looked after her.
My cats are very much like yours,like little dogs,my son looks after them when we go away,they are not happy,but they always eat,each in their own weird spot...
Things like this makes me angry,because it could have been prevented if the cat-sitter had cared enough.
Anyway,sorry about the rant...I just hope Bella makes it :fingerscr

aussiemedogs
August 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
It was my son and my daughter who were taking care of my cats, I don't blame them as how were they to know that the cat who eats everything wasn't eating, the food was gone regularly as I also have another cat, she was running around as usual and 2 days before our return she had drank water my daughter has told me. My children are not careless or thoughtless when it comes to animals she was taken care of, My vet has told me that this is something that could happen over the course of 3 lousy days, I was home for 1.5 of these days but we couldn't find her and when we did unfortunately she was already in a bad state.

Bella has left me.......
I just rec'd a call from my vet about a 1/2 hour ago, unfortunately Bella had lost her will to go on. Bella passed away this evening.
Thanks to everyone here for there warm wishes

badger
August 27th, 2005, 10:54 PM
That's very sad, my sympathies, don't be too hard on yourself, she was probably predisposed in some way; I find it hard to believe that this did her in in only three days, why is my alley crawling with strays who can barely find enough calories to stay alive and yet they survive.

chico2
August 28th, 2005, 08:22 AM
R.I.P beautiful Bella :pawprint:

cpietra16
August 28th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I am so sorry that she did not make it. Some, just become so much more than just pets that it will be so hard to overcome this. I feel so much for you. Just know that you really did all you could do after you found her.

canine14
August 28th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Oh no. I was scared to keep reading this thread. I am so, so sorry.

Lisa.

aussiemedogs
August 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Bella is being cremated......she will be coming back home, I just couldn't bear to think of not having her home with me.

Thanks to everyone for your sympathies. Bella will be safe now.