Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post ACL surgery advice

lyuen
August 25th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Hey all,

My friend's dog (St. Bernard) recently had TPLO surgery on her knee. It has been about at least 6-8 months since and she is in terrible shape! The leg she had surgery on is now turned inward. She is having a tough time getting around and is really limping. She is also raw by the ankle on that leg because she now uses it to boost herself up. The vet that did the surgery says there is nothing she can do and that everything looks fine and that sometimes their leg turns. No one seems to be able to help. My friend is very depressed seeing her dog suffer like this. So are the rest of us. We cringe quite often when we see her get up becuase it looks so painful. Wondering if a splint or brace would help. Any advice on what we can do to help or why this occured or similar situations would be incredibly helpful! Thanks

BMDLuver
August 28th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I would have your friend get her dogs complete file and go to another vet for a second opinion. I was under the impression that ACL surgery was normally quite successful. :confused:

Karin
August 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Large breeds do not fare as well as smaller breeds do. Post op care must be strict. Weight and activity is a huge factor in recovery. Many vets will cringe at the idea of this Sx on a large breed of dog.

ruby's mom
September 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Ruby had tplo surgery 8 weeks ago, she is doing terrible. I was told this was the best surgery for a large dog. The nylon loop surgery would not last long with her size. Her leg hasn't turned, but she may have an infection in the bone which has pushed the screw and plate, so it is almost all healed in the wrong position. She now has to go back next week to have the plate removed, leg repositioned and an outer brace installed to keep her leg in place while she heals. She alos broke the other ligament last week and will have the nylon surgery on that one once she has healed.

I went to 2 different vets before agreeing to this surgery, they all agreed it was the best thing. I feel so bad for my poor doggie that I thought I had been making the best, most informed decision about her care, and it seems to have mafde it much worse.
:sad:

Chenowa
September 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
My dog blew her left ACL back in April and after two vets opinions we opted for surgery. She took awhile to recover, but after 8 weeks seemed to be doing okay until she tore her other ACL. the vets told me they didn't see much hope because her first leg was not strong enough to bare the weight of another surgery. I didn't except this and began to google alternatives. I found a website called "Woundwear" and after many GREAT conversations with the founder and inventor, bought my dog a set of braces for both her rear legs. Within the first day she was up walking around and after 4 months of healing we walk for 1 km..3 times a day! She is back to her old silly self and loves life again! These braces saved her life and may help you and your dog!

Good Luck!

mastifflover
September 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM
I know quite a few Mastiffs that have had the surgery and all very successful. Part of it is the healing time and of course a very saavy vet that knows this surgery well. It is also very common if they rip one acl they will usually do it to the other one. I am glad the braces helped your dog that is great news. http://www.woundwear.com/product3.cfm