Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Will be getting a call from the petstore

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I am supposed to be getting a call from a new petstore that opened up in town. The owner has requested my #so she can call me about the puppies that are for sale. I am quite certain the are puppy mill dogs or at the very least from a backyard breeder.

What is my best course of action to make them consider what they are doing is wrong. If they say they are from a breeder, what should I ask. If they are unable to give me the breeders name, can I consider this a non reputable breeder. I want to make them aware that there are people out there that don't support the sale of these dogs. If thats all I accomplish, I think its a step in the right direction. Ultimately I would like to see the puppies adopted out and brought in.

MIA
August 25th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Just so you are aware, NO reputable breeders give or sell thier dogs to pet stores to be sold, NONE.

Do some reading at www.nopuppymillscanada.ca before you speak with this person.

Pomermaniac
August 26th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Ask them why they hadn't considered joining up with a local shelter or rescue rather than shipping pups from far away? Ask them why they don't offer a REAL spay/neuter incentive...currently its only $30. I think that if it were much higher, say, the price of the procedure it would persuade a lot more people to fix their new pets. At $1000 per puppy they can afford that two to three hundred bucks to have it fixed and still make a profit.
Ask them why they only allow pets whose shots are up to date to come into the store, yet they'll take one of their "8 week old" puppies out for anyone to play with no questions asked and no sanitary measures before the pup is let out?
Oh and how come their "8 week old" pups are the size of pups that are at least 3/4 months everywhere else?

I really can't stand this type of store :yuck:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I talked to the owner of the store, and personally I think he gave me a load of BS.

There dogs are not from puppy mills they are from local breeders, one was from a lady that had pugs by accident.Other dogs are from various breeder thoughout BC. I asked him if he was aware of the conditions puppymill dogs are kept in and each dog sold in a petstore makes a space for another dog to be born in horrible conditions. He assured me that they would never support puppymills and would report such activities. I asked about the reason why some of his dogs were so expensive 900 for a mixed breed. He said that mixed breeds have less health problems so that justifies the price :mad: . I said I could get a mixed breed at a shelter for a lot less. He said that a shelter would not take the dog back. The shelter in our area would take a dog back and so would a reputable breeder as well. He claimed he would take the dog back to. I should have asked what he would do with him/her after the dog is returned.
I also asked about who buys the dog, how do they know the buyers are going to take care of the dog, as it is usually an impulse buy for most people.

I had other questions to that I forgot to ask ie spay and neuter, the names, of breeders and the contact info for the breeders. I will go into the store and ask these questions.

Also I may call the SPCA and see what they know about the store.