Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dumb and Dumber

Shaykeija
August 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I went to work yesterday in a great mood. I asked a co-worker how her new beagle was doing. She lost her dog a few months ago and had to get another. No stone throwing there.

The puppy had to come from a breeder, she wouldn't get one from Pet finder or the pound.( Loading up the sling shot now) Because she would not be sure of it's temperment and she would only be getting some one elses problem dog.

She went to Toronto and got a beagle puppy for $400. Sound like a BYB to you?

(Picking out the big rocks now) I asked her if she was getting her beagle spayed soon and she said no. "I am breeding her to make back the money I spent to get her." I asked her about the spay/neuter contract and there wasn't one. Because the breeder said she lived so far away it did not matter. I asked her if she was going to have her dog tested for problems and the answer was her pups will be fine.

I just about screwed myself into the ground. I asked her it she had a new part time job as a BYB. She had no idea what I was talking about. Duhhhh

She figures she will breed her dog at every heat and make a mint. %$##@

(wing letting one big rock fly now) I told her that her dog was as good as dead to go that route. Yep this was not a good day for me. I feel sorry for the beagle. :sad:

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
STEAL IT!! That's my opinion. Poor doggy. It's not her fault her crappy breeder gave her to a crappy human being. :(

Lucky Rescue
August 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
OH yes, beagles are a really hot commodity. There's only 4,885 dumped ones on Petfinder. Beagles are being dumped way faster than they are being adopted. All the people who took home cute puppies from bybers (like the one who gave your coworker her dog) soon unload them when they find they howl, and bay, and run away, and are difficult to train.

Is this person going to take back all puppies of hers who are dumped too?

Make lots of money? Doubt it. Here's an article she might find interesting.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

shannonRN
August 25th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I don't think the intent to breed is despicable, albeit ignorant and misguided...

Treating that poor puppy like a commodity and planning to breed 'every heat' is very sad however and IMO unforgivable.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I know how you feel a lady at work wants to breed her schnuaser they have the female (which is from a breeder under a no breeding clause) they are going to breed her anyways and not tell the breeder and just sell the pups as non registered for cheaper to whoever will buy them, that why they can keep a puppy. Seems to me it would be a lot less hassle just to go get a puppy. The dog is apparently really overweight too (hmm pregnant overweight dog something tells me thats not good. After they breed her they will give her back to its original owner. Apparently the owner has some issues that he needs to work out. :eek:

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 08:49 PM
This is how it starts, an uninformed, uneducated person thinks they will make money. They don't care what they do to the dog, it's puppies or all the others produced by them.

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Your saying that she is going to send this dog back to the breeder after she has puppies. You should get someone to ask where she got this dog, and then contact the breeder with the news.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 25th, 2005, 10:22 PM
No not back to the breeder back to the owner. The breeder I assume has no clue. They got the dog from a friend or relative that may want the dog back at some point, in the meantime they are going to breed her. I have told her indirectly I think this is risky, ie I dont or wont breed because of the risk to the mom and pups, unwanted puppies, puppies with behavorial problems etc, don't know enough about breeding, cost of feeding, what if something goes wrong etc.