Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog is too friendly with adult human males if you know what I mean

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Ok capone has just started doing this. He tries to hump my BF often. Recently he tried this with both of the guys who are putting in our fence (maybe hes just happy he gets a fence?). He never does it to me nor my step daughter. The only females he has done this two are the two little girls behind us. They were rubbing his tummy and petting him and he tried to do it to them too. He is 2 1/2 years old. The fence guy said his dog did this between 2 - 3 years. I hope it is just a phase. I know that it must be a dominance issue but I always assumed that the dog thought I was the alpha as he is more inclined to listen to me. What are your takes on it? What can I do to stop him? Is it just a phase? Please say its just a phase!

Copper'sMom
August 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM
hehehehehe..............Copper did this often too! But he started really young. 4 years later, he still does it. Mostly when I try to pick up his blankey. And once in a while, he tries it on me! :eek: My vet said it was a dominance thing. But sometimes I think he has frustrations!! LOL

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Its just embarassing when he does this to my BF. BF gets so embarassed.

I let him know it does not in any way reflect your own sexuality! lol

Honestly I always had dogs do it. Its just weird because this didn't happen till he turned two and has increased in the amount and frequency.

I guess copper likes his blankey!

babyrocky1
August 25th, 2005, 06:19 PM
It is probably a dominance thing Luvmypit. It sounds like Capone knows that your Alpha for sure but every once in a while wants to see how far he can get with your honey..LOL In a dominant sort of a way. That still doesnt sound much better. IN and ALPHA sort of a way. :) Maybe he should just give Capone a command or a series of commands to reinforce whoes in charge when he does this.

Luvmypit
August 26th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Well he is at that stage where he is challenging us. 2 -3 years old. But we are pretty quick to correct him. I try my best not to laugh while I tell him no.

jessi76
August 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
great, just great. so this continues for years? omg. my 5 month pup humps every boy dog he meets, and prefers to hump guys. talk about embarrassing - we were at a public gathering in our town (practicing our "out in public" skills), a nice couple comes up and asks permission to let their lab play w/ my pup for a bit... and my little guy proceeds to hump the labs head. thankfully, the nice couple thought it was sorta funny, but I was horrified. There were children around! with a :eek: look on their faces....

Rottielover
August 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Do not let them do it, it is very rude, and ennoying for the other owners. I have trained my rottie pup from the get go, that it it rude behaviour, and it will not be tolerated. Every once in a blue moon he will try it with another dog, but he gets corrected for it, and back to training techniques. To let him know I am boss

Luvmypit
August 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Oh ya he is certainly corrected but keeps going for it. I will just keep correcting him. Hopefully it will pass.

Rottielover
August 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Sorry to tell you the urge to be more dominant to others that allow him to be, will never pass. It has to be worked on, when the thought is in their mind, As I said, I have a very well mannered dog, but every once in a blue moon he will try to test his waters. Neutering does help alittle, but it is behavioural. Training..persistance...and training again