Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull Obdience friendly classes in the London, Ontario area

BullLover
August 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know of a good school to take my pitbulls to. I have called a couple, but don't seem to be getting a response from them. I thought someone here would have a better idea on how or where to go about this...

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Which places have you called so far?

Fanshawe offers the Canadian Kennel Club's Canine Good Neighbour course. I took 2 of my 3 dogs there and there were all kinds of breeds/mixes in the class. It was very beneficial for my dogs as it gave them a great opportunity to learn how to socialize without being aggressive, (Rosie), and how to be separated from me without losing it, (Lennox :p ).

It stipulates that dogs must have had previous puppy training. It teaches dogs to act mannerly at home, in public and in the presence of other dogs. Dogs learn sit, down and stay commands. A lot of the "Students" in the class already knew the basics, but it really helped them be around other dogs and people in an enclosed gym for 1 hour, without fighting, crying etc. Must be vaccinated and at least 6 mos. old. It costs $95.50 + $11.45 for the textbook. Course starts on Sept.8 to Oct. 27 on thursdays. May be full by now. They also offer a puppy kindergarten. Look for the Fanshawe 2005 course book at Libraries in London. Found on pg. 9. Does not say anything about breeds not allowed!!

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I emailed Fanshawe to ask the following, on your behalf:

Hi there. I am interested in knowing if course zool-9005 is full and if certain breeds are not allowed in this class. Is it open to all breeds of dogs, such a pit bulls?

I'll let you know what I learn. Their phone # is 452-4439, if you wanted to call.....

BullLover
August 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Thank you so much! I live about a 2 minute walk away from Fanshawe....I will definately be calling them. I previously used another school, but they had me use a choke chain on a Sheltie, so I won't be going back there. I've done a lot of training at home with the dogs, but it seems when they get into a public setting...Watch Out! They pull, and run, and don't tend to stay when told. Oh well, anything to try. Thanks again!

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I also emailed Awesome Dogs, run by Yvette Van Veen. She writes the pet behaviour column in the Londoner and is against BSL ;), so I'm certain that her facility would be happy to train pittys!! Her website states: She offers puppy training, temperament testing, and individual behavior counseling for dogs with all ranges of behaviour issues. I would call her and see if she offers group or individual classes in basic obedience, if it doesn't pan out for you with Fanshawe :)

BullLover
August 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I've email Yvette Van Veen and asked her about her training classes. Thanks again! :)

love my dogs
August 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Duke (american red nosed pit bull) and I took puppy classes at Super Pet in London with Yvette. She is very good (and experienced) with the breed!!

Good Luck!