Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sun Poll, Please vote

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 08:56 AM
http://www.torontosun.com

Please vote. We are losing yet again. Its on the right hand side, lower down on the page.

Vote away!

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM
:sad: Yes is at 72%, thats not a good thing. :(

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Not good at all. Just means people are still ignorant.

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Excuse my ignorance as I haven't really followed all the info on the ban but what happens to all the PB in the humane societies after the ban comes into affect? A friend of mine was saying that PB jaws lock on the weekend, I told them that this is untrue, so yes people are still ignorant to the breed of the PB. I blame bad owners, a dog is not born bad.

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 09:30 AM
On the weekend? lol. Thats hilarious!

Well they will be sent to other facilities out of the province (this is ofocurse out of pocket expense for the shelters) or PTS them or send them to a research facilty!

Sound slovely don't it.

Good news though I heard on the news that the Toronto Humane society is taking a stand and will not PTS any of them and will continue to adopt them out!

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 09:31 AM
LOl I get it he told you this on the weekend. I thought for a second can people actually believe that?

Beaglemom
August 25th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Good news though I heard on the news that the Toronto Humane society is taking a stand and will not PTS any of them and will continue to adopt them out!
This is what I heard as well. Actually if you read the information provided by the government about the new law, it states somewhere that the pitties who are in the province can stay. The ones in Humane Societies will still be allowed to be adopted out provided that they abide by the new rules.

The following is a quote from:
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_15

Acquiring Restricted Pit Bulls after the Ban Comes into Effect
-Pit bulls kept legally after the ban will be known as "grandfathered" or restricted put bulls.
-After the ban comes into effect, a person who did not own any pit bulls on August 29, 2005, will be able to acquire one restricted pit bull.
-A person who owned one or more pit bulls on August 29, 2005 will be able to acquire more restricted pit bulls so long as the effect would not be to leave the person with more pit bulls than he or she owned on August 29, 2005.
-Pounds and humane societies will be able to adopt out restricted pit bulls after August 29, 2005, provided that the transfer of the pit bull to a new owner would not lead to a violation of the restrictions on acquisition.

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Oh good I had visions of these poor dogs being lead for slaughter.

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Sadly though many shelters will be putting pitbulls down. :sad:

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 10:30 AM
There is a date for pit bulls who are born after. And that date is for dogs that WILL be pts or sent to research facilities. For some reason Im thinking some time in November. Can someone clarify?

Also if your pit bull bites then they will be destroyed. So the chances of your dog being considered the innocent victim in a dog fight are slim and that means PTS in the end.

As far as I understand, if someone could clarify.

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Pitbulls born after November 26, will not be grandfathered in and will be euthanized.
Just because it states that shelters & humane societies are allowed to adopt grandfathered pitbulls does not mean all of them will. I know the THS plans to keep adopting them but I also know other ones that will not adopt them after the effective date of August 29.

Also, your dog may seized if it is complained of being menacing, menacing has not been defined, so if someone feels your dog (this is NOT just for pitbulls) looks at them the wrong way good luck to you and your dog :sad:

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Thank you Georgia because alot of people believe that the dogs will all live and the reality has to be shown here. Most people (not anyone here) say whats the big deal non will die. But they will.

So cross your fingers that non will but I can't help but feel for the one sthat will.

Beaglemom
August 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Some shelters have already put quite a few pitties down. Unfortunately, some people don't want to be bothered with the new requirements and are dumping their dogs for others to deal with. Others are afraid to adopt one because of the harrasment that might occur and all the strict rules they must abide by. I'm glad that THS is going to try and find the ones in their care homes and not just get rid of them. They deserve a chance at life, it isn't the pitties' fault that they are in this situation, it is the fault of some very sad representations of the human species. It's a really sad situation that we as animal lovers are in.

I used to be proud of my province, now I'm ashamed to say that I live in Ontario.

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM
The last check was 71% yes, 29% no, 1526 voted.

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Every now and then I check available dogs for adoption through the HS. About a month before this started with the Pit bulls there were all kinds of them for adoption and a month later there were none, not one of them. I have no idea what happened but it all seemed a little fishy. There are many there again. It would be so nice if many more could be sent to organizations that do service work. These dogs deserve to have a safe place to go.

mastifflover
August 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Well as you can see ignorance breeds ignorance I think that is too funny their jaws only lock on the weekends. Obviously these people believe all the Michael Bryant B.S. If only people would listen to facts instead of fiction. But for the dog owners who did support this idiotic law you were fooled by the village idiot (M.B.) because this law does affect you. If you have a neighbour who hates you or your dog beware your dog may be siezed, any breed not just pits and staffs. The only thing needed is a warrant that may be signed by a justice of the peace it does not have to be a judge. The only one that needs to be pts or locked up is Michael Bryant (big liar) and the liberal party. Don't forget that when the politicians come looking for your vote ask how they voted and if they agree with the law slamming the door in their faces may make them realize how many votes they have lost and bottom line is that is what they care about. I even send back the propaganda from our local politician who supports the bill with a note telling her not to waste her time because I will never be voting for a party who feels they have the right to decide who's pets live and who's dies. Kinda of like a genocide isn't it.

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
to quote Mastifflover: " because this law does affect you. If you have a neighbour who hates you or your dog beware your dog may be siezed, any breed not just pits and staffs. The only thing needed is a warrant that may be signed by a justice of the peace it does not have to be a judge."

I'm very afraid.....I have a rotten neighbour who detests everyone and every dog in the world, and he happens to live beside me......Can't wait for Monday to roll around......I will not sleep from then on......I have already spoken with my dog underground railroad of friends and neighbours to hide my dogs if the authorities come and try to take my dogs! I will sneak them out the back door, thru the fence boards and into another neighbours' house and off they go! Sounds dramatic, but at least I have a plan....... :(

happycats
August 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
We are gaining some ground, last check, 69% yes and 31% no! (I voted at work and home :evil: )

Luvmypit
August 25th, 2005, 03:47 PM
If you really want to be sneaky. Close that window, open another up go to TOOLS then go to INTERNET OPTIONS. In the General category (should open there anyways) click on delete cookies. Click yes you do want to delete them. Then enter TS site again and vote. You can do this over and over.

Not that I do this :evil:

babyrocky1
August 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I think thats what the other side must be doing Luvmypit, I live in a very highly popultated area and I find that day by day more and more people are giving us POSITIVE responces as we go out. People going out of there way to pat Rocky! Even yesterday when we were out on the streetcar and subway(on our way muzzle shopping :eek:) people were great. Especially older folks. I was afraid Rock was going to knock them over he was getting so excited but they were loving it! I just don't believe these things. Bryant doesnt have anything to do, not like hes busy fighting crime or anything so maybe thats him sitting at his computer playing around :evil: He earns lots of money doing it too!

love my dogs
August 29th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I can't seem to find where you vote once on the website.

Luvmypit
August 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Love my dogs i think the poll is over. It was on Friday I believe.

By the way Welcome to the board!