Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Game over for London: PIT BULL ATTACK!!

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 09:26 AM
'HORRIFIC' ATTACK SEES PIT BULL MAUL TERRIER
Thursday, August 25, 2005

Yet another London neighbourhood was reeling from a pit bull attack yesterday, just days before an Ontario ban on the muscular dogs takes effect.
A pit bull running loose attacked a rat terrier Tuesday night in the Kipps Lane neighbourhood and went after the terrier owner as he tried to shield the two-year-old pooch.

The tiny dog, its stomach ripped out in the 6 p.m. attack, was later put down and its owner, Charles Girouard, left with bite marks on his arms that required stitches to close.

"I tried to pick (Wrinkles) up and the pit bull dragged me across the parking lot," Girouard, on his way to a friend's house when the dog attacked, said yesterday.

"My watch was broken and my glasses were in the middle of the parking lot."

One resident said her husband used a broom to try to beat the pit bull off the terrier.

"It was horrific," she said.

The attack adds to a long list of pit bull victims in Southwestern Ontario, including a Chatham-Kent letter carrier whose ear was torn off last year in an attack by two pit bulls that caused her to fall as she fled, breaking both wrists.

But with Monday looming, when Ontario becomes the first major North American jurisdiction to ban the dogs, many breeders in the province are pulling up stakes or quitting the practice altogether to protect their beloved animals and avoid what they call an unjust and arbitrary law.

"It means I'm going to be moving out of Ontario," said Ann Mathews, a breeder of purebred American Staffordshire terriers who lives near Kitchener.

"It means I'll be leaving my three grandchildren, my five children and moving to a province that isn't so arrogant and so stupid about the laws."

The ban will make it illegal to breed pit bulls in Ontario or bring them into the province. Those already here will be allowed to stay on a restricted basis, if they're sterilized and leashed and muzzled in public.

Owners have until Oct. 28 to get their dogs spayed or neutered. Registered purebreds will be considered exempt from sterilization as long as they continue to take part in authorized dog shows.

Any pit bulls born after Nov. 27 must be sent out of Ontario, given to a research facility or humanely destroyed.

The law specifically forbids Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, American pit bull terriers and any other dog with "an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs."

Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant introduced the ban after a rash of vicious attacks by pit bulls last year on children, adults and pets.

In at least two cases, police were forced to shoot the dogs dead to stop the attacks.

Bryant called all pit bulls "inherently dangerous."

Breed associations and other groups are set to launch a legal challenge to the law Monday on grounds it violates their constitutional rights.

Statistics show pit bulls account for only five to 10 per cent of dog bites in Canada, matching their percentage of the dog population, said Steve Barker, Ontario director of the Dog Legislation Council of Canada, which is fighting the ban.

"They're not particularly biting any more than any other dog, not even necessarily any worse than any other dog," he said.

Pit bull bites get reported more often, he added.

Other big dogs, including German shepherds, retrievers, Labradors and Rottweilers, often hit the top of the bite list, Barker said

Illustration:

INJURIES: Charles Girouard holds a picture of Wrinkles, his rat terrier, who had to be put down after a pit bull attacked him during a walk in the Kipps Lane area Tuesday night. Girouard, who tried to intervene, was dragged across the parking lot and suffered numerous puncture wounds to his hands.

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Poor Wrinkles, what a way to die, but where are the owners of the pitbull? Little dogs go after, big dogs all the time, does that get reported, no because they can't kill the bigger dog they just hurt it. I don't think any dog should die this way and I don't believe in this ban. I think they should find a way of licencing|training the owners and making sure that the dog is properly trained, would be a better way of helping these and any other breed of dogs. If the idiot owners can't get pitbuls what breed will be next to fall victom to them, rotties, german shep, dobes, the list goes on.

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM
How sad for the poor dog killed :sad:
Where are the owners of the pitbull? With the upcoming ban in effect on Monday and the proposed bsl in London shame on the owner of the pitbull, they have screwed me and my dogs for their irresponsible behaviour :mad:

Copper'sMom
August 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I couldn't imagine being in Wrinkles owner's shoes. That is just so awful!

What the hell do people not understand???? There will still be Pit Bull attacks even with the law in effect because there will still be IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS!! :mad: Yes, 15 years from now there will be no more Pit Bulls so there won't be Pit Bull attacks, but there will be some other popular breed doing the same thing unless there are laws and regulations as to who can own a dog!! Even then, there will still be a few who don't abide by the laws.

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM
But don't give up! Keep focusing on your presentation..... :o

I am once again wondering WHO declared the attacking dog in this case, a pit bull? We have seen time and time again that the dog that causes the harm is often not a pit bull, only to be reported at a later date, to be a breed of some other sort altogether! By this time, unfortunately, the public has the word "pit bull" stuck in their heads, and that just reinforces the case against them!

Was it the fellow that lost his poor dog and suffered injuries? Was it the police, ACC that identified the breed? What happened to the dog after the attack? Is it still on the loose? I am going to further investigate this somehow.... :confused:

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah I will still work on the presentation, but it's just frustrating when I hear about irresponsible owners and here I am responsible and fighting to keep my dogs.
It would be great if you could find more info on the attack. I am curious myself. I was at the place this morning where we adopted Daisy and the secretary said her daughter lives in that area and she knows that a few Cane Corso's live around there. I'm curious to find out who owned the pitbull, is it a pitbull and where is it now?!!!

ETA: Did you see the opinion in the LFP, "City might as well tell us all to leave"? My brother wrote that the night of the council meeting after I told him what the proposal consisted of. He just returned from living in Ireland and already wants to move back.

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
AH HA!! Just as I suspected!! I called and spoke directly with the author of this article.....wonder if she will follow up??

The dog was identifiied as a pit bull by the man that was attacked!!!, (no doubt a professional dog breed identifier!) and by the person that beat off the dog with a broom, (another professional in the field!)

No one knows where the dog lives. According to Sarah Fraley, the journalist, ACC did not collect it, nor did the police, as she said that they don't take in the dogs from attack incidents. The dog is apparently at home with it's owners, wherever that is! No idea what will happen at this point. I might have planted a bug in the reporter's ear, however!

Holy crap!! I just bet that this is not a pit bull at all!!
GeorgaP, I am just trying to get thru the paper and haven't yet read the opinions section....I will and I will comment! Keep plugging away!

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks so much Lezzer, it just proves how incompetent this city truly is when they do not do a thing about this, and in the least identify the breed properly.
Lezzer , I am on a few different boards that include a number of members from the DLCC and other banned breed clubs, that are involved in the fight with the province. May I crosspost the info you have found? I would really appreciate it!

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 11:47 AM
ETA: Did you see the opinion in the LFP, "City might as well tell us all to leave"? My brother wrote that the night of the council meeting after I told him what the proposal consisted of. He just returned from living in Ireland and already wants to move back.

Just read your brother's letter! He is bang on! So many other pressing issues in this city. And he's absolutely right...people WILL leave the city, even those w/out pb's as this will affect a LOT of dog owners.....this city sucks more and more every day....but we gotta eat and live somewhere, so I guess we fight for keeping what we've got :thumbs up

I am considering getting my drivers' licence, (yeah, I'm one of THOSE!! :p ) and selling the beautiful home we have worked so hard for and pulling up stakes to go to the countryside. One step closer to my kennel dream!! :D

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks so much Lezzer, it just proves how incompetent this city truly is when they do not do a thing about this, and in the least identify the breed properly.
Lezzer , I am on a few different boards that include a number of members from the DLCC and other banned breed clubs, that are involved in the fight with the province. May I crosspost the info you have found? I would really appreciate it!

GO FOR IT! Now's the time to jump all over this.....you have my blessing :angel:

I'm wondering if I should be calling Sarah Fraley back and telling her to investigate the breed of the dog a whole lot further, just in case she might actually uncover the truth about this dogs' breed and may feel compelled to share that info with the disillusioned public! whadya say??

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Lezzer, i just called the LFP newsroom thinking if more call and press the issue they may follow up. The woman I spoke with was very nice and said she helped shape the story, and thought Sarah Fraley would like to talk with me since I am a pitbull owner. Sarah Fraley is calling me back in a few minutes. I'll let you know as soon as I talk to her!

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Just read your brother's letter! He is bang on! So many other pressing issues in this city. And he's absolutely right...people WILL leave the city, even those w/out pb's as this will affect a LOT of dog owners.....this city sucks more and more every day....but we gotta eat and live somewhere, so I guess we fight for keeping what we've got :thumbs up

I am considering getting my drivers' licence, (yeah, I'm one of THOSE!! :p ) and selling the beautiful home we have worked so hard for and pulling up stakes to go to the countryside. One step closer to my kennel dream!! :D

It is the train issue that bothers us. We live right at the start of old north and deal with the trains on a daily basis :mad:

You should go ahead with your dream it is a wonderful thing to do!

lezzpezz
August 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Rock on, Sister!!! This is a wonderful timely opportunity for you and other pit bull owners, especially those in London. Do let me know how this plays out! Yeah!!! Let's jump on this and get things cookin' :evil:

Georgiapeaches
August 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Okay, I just got off the phone with the reporter. They are doing a big spread on the issue this weekend.
I told her my concerns over the attack yesterday, ie:why did ACC not enforce any by-law that currently exists (leash law), why was it the man attacked was the one to identify the dog when it could possibly be of another that resembles a pitbull (possibly boxer/lab x for example). I also told her about my possibly having to move if insurance becomes required here. I told her my dogs are spayed, registered, microchipped and very friendly and we have never had any issue with them. Although, Georgia (5 years old) was attacked by an offleash Chow while she was on leash a few years ago, but we did not think enough to report it :sad: .
I did express my sadness over the attack yesterday and said I will not defend someone who is irresponsible just because they also own a pitbull. Guess what I found out, the man did not get bit and did not require stiches. I believe they are going to retract that part tomorrow.
She imay be contacting me for a photo for the spread.
I talked with her for about a half hour so there are many issues I covered.

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Becareful reporters twist things around, and make sure if they are taking a pic it for a good thing not for something they are going to say bad about pitbulls.

babyrocky1
August 25th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Lezzerpezzer and Georgia Peaches-Way to fight the "good fight' you guys...Wow your not letting them get away with a thing! Good for you and a retraction about the dog biting the person is great! I wonder if you can find out if the dog was male and un-altered. One of the things people were FOR at the committe hearings in Toronto was mandatory spaying and nuetering of all dogs. As Im sure you know most aggression is committed by un-altered males so if it does turn out to be a pit bull maybe you could use those facts as well to explain the tragedy. It didn't look like that was reported on either even though we keep telling the media what kind of things can contribute to these problems...Great going you guys!