Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trivial poll of the night! Butter or margarine?

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 01:34 AM
In Quebec, the law says that margarine has to be white so that people don't confuse it with butter. They feel "mistakes" would cost the butter people tons of money. So after years of almost getting rid of the law and then not, they seem closer than ever. We might end up with yellow margarine.

Well, then.

Nobody asked my generation, did they?

If they did, they would probably hear, I believe, that yellow margarine looks disgusting. I have only seen yellow margarine when I was travelling. I was either not born yet or too young to remember yellow margarine and just as those who eat yellow find white gross, I find the yellow gross. I just see artificial coloring. Some are so dyed that they look orange. :yuck:

So instead of singling out Quebecers, I decided to make this a general poll. Sort of... :D

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Crep. I forgot "Both"... Oh well, choose your favorite.. :o

melanie
August 25th, 2005, 01:51 AM
we only have yesllow margarine, never ever seen white and i would never eat it, crap i would probably freak out at it.....

and no our farmers have not suffered sever poverty since the rise of margarine, their not that dependant on butter i dont think :D :p

and plus, my sometimes no n thinkin hubby just cant seem to get how to use butter like most aussies, and ppl think your old fashioned for using butter. i did for years, till i met this man, and he kept stickin my butter tray in the friggin fridge, so i gave up after dozens of torn sandwiches and turned on marg.

but i most definatly like butter better, gosh silly man, jsut does not get somethings.... but hes soooo tall, i reckon theres a link between his height and his um, how will i say, his himboishness at times :D :p

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 01:59 AM
LOL Mel!! I refuse to leave butter out, so I give up too... Too many microbiology classes... :D

badger
August 25th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Butter is better, and far healthier. Margerine is crap, just read the label. On a cold winter's morning, warm homemade applesauce and good brown bread and butter - OMG I'm in heaven. There was a product that came out a few years ago called 'I can't believe it's not butter' and it was sooo tasty, then I found out that the flavour came from....beef tallow. Yech.

raingirl
August 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I use butter for all baking etc, but margerine for other things. But I won't use regular margerine. I use a non-hydrogenated olive oil margerine (since olive oil is semi solid when cold). It's like whipped cold olive oil. It's very good, and because it's olive oil, it's healthy.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 25th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I use Becel light, but on the odd occasion that I bake I use butter, it tastes much better.

chico2
August 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I use butter for everything,cooking,baking and sandwiches..I could never eat a sandwich with margarine :yuck:
Hubbie get's no-salt on his sandwiches(high blood-pressure)I indulge in all the supposed evil...

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Bacel, its good for you. That Quebec law just kills me, I think most people know the difference between marg and butter, don't they?

Rick C
August 25th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Six slices of toast, slathered in BUTTER and Cheez Whiz and a glass of orange juice on the side on Saturday mornings with Bugs Bunny cartoons on the tube . . . . . is there anything better? :highfive:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
No offense Rick, but eewwww.....

And yes, I do use Becel too. Not the lite kind (that's like 98% water... I don't like soggy toast..) :)

melanie
August 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM
oh rick you jsut reminded me of my fav way to have butter, on white toast with ridiculous amounts of butter and slathers of vegemite, oh and the sat morn cartoons, oh yuuuummmm.....

should have mentioned i use butter in all baking, its heaps cheaper.

margarine is quite expensive compared to butter over here.

i leave butter out in winter if i have it, in summer thats impossible but i dont think its so bad over winter.... prin i lived without a fridge for a few years, i stored all cold products in a dark cupboard wrapped in wet cloth, it kept really well and the cheese always tasted right... and i am not dead, so its not tooo bad :D :p

glasslass
August 25th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Ummmmmm! Make mine cold salted butter on hot crusty sourdough bread (torn, not cut in slices!). I made the mistake of trying to save money by baking cookies with "Can't believe it's not butter". Big, big mistake. Now I bake only with butter. I'm always amused when I hear people refer to "real butter". Butter is butter! Anything else is NOT butter!

Byrd
August 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM
uummmm..... soy margerine actually.

Karin
August 25th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Put a tub of margerine outside with the lid off for 24 hours in the hot sun. The next day you will see no change..and no flies hovering around either.

It's the closest thing to edible plastic I have ever seen.

Only butter for me.

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 09:14 PM
If I had a choice I would choose butter. Really good with corn on the cob.

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Karin, if you get good margarine and leave it out, it should be liquid by morning... ;)

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 09:59 PM
My kids have done that. The center may still be semi-solid but all down the sides it is liquid. Disgusting oil.

babyrocky1
August 25th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Im a Becel girl, I eat tubs of the stuff so I figured I should choose a healthy one! :troll: HE HE I just wanted to use it!

happycats
August 25th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Ok, first, what the heck is a Vegamite sandwich Mel?? (I heard it in a song too, "I come from a land down under" by men at work)

secondly getting back on topic hubby will only use butter, but I use Lactantia (sp) healthy choice margarine (with omega 3, non hygrogonated, cholesterol free, trans fat free) It's the best margarine I have ever had!

babyrocky1
August 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Happy Cats, I think its Latancia...nope doesn't look right, but it sounds good! I thought Becel was the only margarine without trans fats. Well I guess we can learn things in the strangest places LOL Im going to try it next time!!!

happycats
August 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Hey Happy Cats, I think its Latancia...nope doesn't look right, but it sounds good! I thought Becel was the only margarine without trans fats. Well I guess we can learn things in the strangest places LOL Im going to try it next time!!!

It's actually supposed to be better for you then Becel. I used to eat Becel until I heard so many great things about Lactantia :) (it's fairly new)

Prin
August 26th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Hey, is your Becel yellow? I can't imagine Becel yellow. I mean the container is white- seems to me it would clash with yellow... :)