Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog losing fur

Weineelvr
August 24th, 2005, 11:59 PM
My 12-year old dachshund appears to be losing patches of fur on one side of his body. It almost looks like someone shaved him in random areas. His health and behavior seem to be fine otherwise.

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 02:01 AM
How does the skin look underneath?

Weineelvr
August 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM
The skin underneath looks normal - doesn't have a rash or look irritated at all. I have an appointment set up for Saturday, but it is bothering me. I am worried about it being some type of parasite.

Beaglemom
August 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I have a few questions. Does he drink large quatities of water? Does pee more frequently? Have a pot bellied appearance?

Weineelvr
August 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I am not sure about the water because he shares a water bowl with two other dogs in the house. He does go to the bathroom quite a bit - gets me up in the night at least one time to go out and several times during the day. And YES - he definately has a pot-bellied appearance. He had always been very skinny until this past year. I thought it was probably old age. He doesn't really overeat either.

Beaglemom
August 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Your dog may have Cushings Disease. Dogs with Cushings Disease lose hair, have a pot bellied appearance, drink lots of water, urinate frequently, muscle loss, larger than normal appetite and panting. It is very common in older dogs. Dogs normally have a combination of symptoms not all. Many times it even goes undetected.

Your vet should be able to give you a better indication of what is going on with your dog. It may be a good idea to start with a blood analysis and go from there.

Weineelvr
August 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Thank you so much for your information. He does pant a lot too. I will do some research between now and the appointment about Cushing's Disease. Thanks again!