Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kirkland signature super premium dog food

Scorp1
August 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM
i feed kirkland chicken end rice super premium from costco i wass told its made by diamon http://www.diamondpetfood.com/ thay make it end stamp the costco name on it. my 9 mounth lab X akita that i adopted frome my local spca end wen i first got hime at 3 mounths e wass 19 lbs poure thing wass so badly fead could se is rib cage end now is 65 lbs wonderd if its a good food i first started whit the puppy food i now mix 1/2 puppy end 1/2 adult food e is douing so great on it eats abowt 3 cups a day end poops one time a day end nice stools end not all that big amounth thanx

please excuse my french accent :thumbs up

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
It's the best food for the price that there is. If you can afford better, there are better foods out there. Basically the better foods have no corn, no brewer's rice, no by-products. ;)

Scorp1
August 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM
so i guess the only thing is the chicken by-products meal whitch is second ingredient that is not realy the beast thing no corn end breewers rice in there

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Exactly. By-products are not just beaks and feet, it's also decaying bodies and rotten meat... :eek:

I feed my dogs Solid Gold Wolf King. These are the ingredients, just to give you an idea of what a good food can look like:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Here are the ingredients of another good food. Wellness Super5Mix Chicken:
Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Amaranth, Peas, Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Inulin, Fructose, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

Personally I like foods that are fishy because they keep the coat shiny and soft.

Scorp1
August 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
mabe i should just chainge to the lamb end rice food see no by-product meal

end its to bad i dont have the labelle anemore i hem sure thers not by-product in the chicken formula if i remember corectly it starts whit chicken\chicken meal

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Scorp1
September 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM
hi againe went to costco to get food for my dogs end i try the lamb rice formula buddy seem to like it alot end look at the ingrediance in the chicken end rice formula end there is no by-product in the formula ass far as the wellnes food they dont sale it here cose its not bylangual on the bag no french on it end solide gold no way to get this food arownd here dude at a pet store whanted to sell me a eagle pack fish formula for 65$ 13 killo bag wow this is creasy i wonder if it would be wise to feed one day chicken formula end the nex day lamb formula just so they have variation i would hate to eat the same thing over end over all the time!!! thanx

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM
I know we all hear the rumors that go around regarding by products and what they consist of but from what I can see the beaks, feathers and feet are not supposed to be used and so far I haven't seen the proof that they do.

Scorp1
September 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
welp for the price this food is great. god a nothe place i went this mornin whanted to sale me pro-plan food for 55$ a bag end pro-plan ingredience suck big time first ingrediant in there is corn meal end the second is brewers rice end the place whit the eagle pack sayd i would not find ane food there cose all is food have corn end brewers rice i guess for now il stick whit the
kirkland cose ane other food arown here have corn end brewers rice
until i can find a place were they sale wellnes ur solid gold end give it a try
i dont minde paying the price for food but 65$ for 13 killo thats nuts whit 2 big dogs like i have it will cost more to feed them then it would to feed my famely lol :D

mastifflover
September 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM
I have found the Costco food to be the best value for the money. If I had a dog that only weighed 50-70 pounds I would feed higher quality food but when you are feeding a 165 pound dog Wellness or Solid Gold runs about 200.00 a month as opposed to costco at 85.00 big difference.If you have large dogs you would understand the costs. But if you only have to buy a bag a month then go for the expensive stuff but not when you buy 2 or 3.But all said and done it is a good medium(I think it is a better than a medium but not a really high quality food)

Scorp1
September 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
one bag kirkland 40 lbs lamb end rice cost 23.99 +tax end the chicken end rice 20.99 will cost me abowt 50$ cad tax included to feed my dogs monthly i give it a 85% on a avrage ove 100
but like i sayd the price is not realy what i wass realy consernd abowt but 65$ for 13 killo bag thats were i draw the line i wass told that you feed less whit a vary hi qualety food but you get less for yur money to :thumbs up

DRAACO05
September 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I was just looking over this thread and it's great that you are happy with the Kirkland brand, but again nothing comes that cheap. If you compare the Kirkland ingredients with the wellness and solid gold you see a pretty big difference. It's not just the meat you have to look at.
The most obvious trick I see Kirkland using is filler splitting. When you see rice, or corn, or any other fill in the ingredient list but in more then one form, that is the company saying "okay there is a lot of this filler in here, but we don't want to put it at the top of the list so we are going to split it up". Namely, rice and rice flour, or corn and corn flour or gluten and the list goes on. So just know you are feeding more rice then the lamb or the chicken. And the pet will probably be fine and live its life, but if you were to put another dog of the same breed next to it, you'd notice. That's my two cents. It's unfortunate that the food companies find all these ways to trick the consumer into buying their products. At the end of the day for the most part you pay for what you get when it comes to food. I wish it weren't so b/c I have 2 big dogs and a cat, but such is life.

db7
September 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
What you are calling filler contribute important parts of a balanced diet. carbs and protein.

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM
ass far as the wellnes food they dont sale it here cose its not bylangual on the bag no french on it
This doesn't make sense. As I feed my dog Wellness, and I live in Quebec. When a bag doesn't have french on the label, they just affix a sticker with the french translation.
Where do you live?

Prin
September 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM
What you are calling filler contribute important parts of a balanced diet. carbs and protein.
No, sometimes, it's just filler. Instead of righting "Wheat" they'll break it down into all the little bits (but they're still ALL in there), so that it looks like there isn't much wheat when there is. Some foods use corn gluten, which supposedly is easier to digest and is more useful for the dog, and that's fine, but to break corn down into all it's parts, or even to say "Chicken, corn meal" is pretty sneaky. The chicken is whole but the corn is dehydrated- which is there more of?

I would actually rather a food where there is no wheat nor corn, nor brewer's rice at all, not even the components. There are better things to put in dog food without resorting to corn and wheat.

And about the Wellness labels, I think it's relatively recent that we get it here in Qc- Jemma was on it when we got her and her previous owner used to order it in from Old Mother Hubbard directly.

db7
September 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
No? C'mon there Prin. Every dog needs a more or less balance of carbs, fat and protein depending on what activity they get. Wheat is a good source of simple starch. Corn gluten is protein. People should be more concerned with the quality of the ingredients and the overall ratio of essentials plus vitamins and minerals rather than get hung up on whether there is rice vs. wheat as a source of carb. What is important at the end of the day is this.
Protein: 26%
Fat: 16%
Fiber: 5%
Moisture: 10%
And while these numbers would generally be associated with a super premium dog food that doesn't mean this dog food is right for all. You'd feed a ratio like this to an active performance level dog. Herding, hunting and sledding. Perhaps even supplement on workday with meat or fat.

If you were feeding a sprinter or something like flyball the dog needs more carbs for energy allowing explosive starts rather than fat.
But if you fed your foot-warmer pet this ratio it would get fat, and develop kidney problems from too much protein.

Quality and correct balance and there is nothing wrong with grains in petfood, as long as it is in balance.

db7
September 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Ingredients of one of the top dog foods - Purpose and a Function

Anise
Anise aids in digestion and helps to eliminate gas and bloat.

Apple Pomace
Apple Pomace is high in fibre, which aids in keeping the digestive track clear. It is also a natural source of calcium, iron and Vitamins A, C, and K

Biotin
Biotin strengthens the claws and keeps them from chipping and cracking.

Brewers Rice
Brewers Rice is one of the most digestible grains available. Rice is a carbohydrate that provides a quick source of energy and good stamina.

Calcium Iodate
Calcium Iodate is a source of Iodine for proper hormone replacement that controls the metabolism.

Calcium Pantothenate`
Calcium Pantothenate is an enzyme for energy metabolism.

Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates provide quick energy and promotes healthy growth your dog needs to stay healthy.

Cassia
Cassia aids the digestive system and acts as an antiviral agent.

Chamomile
Chamomile aids the digestive system.

Choline Chloride
Choline Chloride enhances the digestive system in the stomach.

Cobalt Carbonate
Cobalt Carbonate is required for normal stomach functions and vitamin absorption.

Copper Sulphate
Copper Sulphate is essential to hemoglobin function, as well as bone growth and maintenance.

Corn Gluten Meal
Corn Gluten Meal is an excellent source of protein that gives energy.

Dried Whole Egg
Dried Whole Egg is high in protein with superior bio-availability.

Fats
Fats are essential to every cell in the body. The fat content in Whole Life will supply your pet with the energy needed for an active lifestyle.

Ferrous Sulphate
Ferrous Sulphate is an iron compound that helps prevent anaemia.

Folic Acid
Folic Acid provides the Vitamin B that helps to develop strong claws.

Fresh Chicken
Protein is the building block of life. We use these meat sources for a balanced and complete amino acid profile. Chicken and lamb are among the highest digestible proteins available.

Garlic
Garlic acts as an antibacterial agent and improves the cardiovascular system and may also enhance the immune system functions.

Horseradish
Horseradish is an antibacterial that also adds flavour to the blend.

Iron
Iron is found in Apple Pomace, Oatmeal and Ferrous Sulphate, and is an essential mineral needed to maintain a healthy metabolism.

Juniper
Juniper is a gastrointestinal antiseptic that aids in the function of the kidney.

Kelp Meal
Kelp Meal is a natural product made from Ascophyllum Nodosum seaweed that is harvested from the sea. It supplies natural vitamins and chelated minerals, which increases the immune and glandular systems and improves the digestive capacity.

Lamb Meal
Lamb Meal is an excellent source of protein. It is great for muscle development and overall body maintenance.

Lecithin
Lecithin aids in the absorption of the other ingredients in Whole Life, and helps to improve the condition of the skin and the coat.

Manganese Oxide
Manganese Oxide is an electrolyte that is essential in the maintenance of a strong body.

Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex
Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity)

Minerals
Minerals are key to building strong bones and strong teeth, maintaining balance of fluids and aiding metabolism. Important minerals include calcium, phosphorus, sodium, zinc and iron are contained in every Whole Life formula.

Natural Flavors

Niacin
Niacin is a form of Vitamin B that helps in digestion.

Oatmeal
Oatmeal supplies carbohydrates and amino acids, and is a good source of fibre. It is also high in iron.

Potassium Chloride
Potassium Chloride plays a vital role in the osmotic balance between cells and body fluids. It is the water balance in the body.

Poultry Fat
Poultry Fat makes Whole Life Pet Food highly palatable. Poultry Fat is high in Omega 6 (3.4%) and other essential fatty acids needed to develop a healthy skin and shiny coat. It also provides energy, and acts as an antioxidant.

Poultry Meal
Poultry Meal is a good source of protein and fat that provides the essential energy component, and provides the fresh meaty flavour that dogs love. It also promotes muscle, tissue, bone and teeth development.

Protein
Protein provides amino acids essential for maintaining tissue and organs. Coat hair is 95% protein. Skin cells are made up of protein and fats. The Whole Life supplies your pet with the protein needed to maintain strong bones and muscle

Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride is a good source of Vitamin B6 that helps protein metabolism, and helps the formation of red blood cells.

Riboflavin
Riboflavin promotes growth and good metabolism.

Rosemary Extract
Rosemary Extract is a natural antioxidant.

Salt
Salt is a natural and necessary element in your petís overall health.

Sodium Selenite
Sodium Selenite is a source of selenium that acts as a biological antioxidant.

Thiamine Mononitrate
Thiamine Mononitrate is a good source of Vitamin B.

Thyme
Thyme is an overall tonic for the functions of the body.

Tomato Powder
Tomato Powder increases blood circulation and acts an antioxidant.

Vitamin A
Vitamin A

Vitamin B
Vitamin B is provided in Niacin and Thiamine Mononitrate promotes proper metabolism and appetite.

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is a source of enzymes that aid in proper growth.

Vitamin C and E
Vitamin C and E are necessary antioxidants that help to prevent the breakdown of unsaturated fatty acids which are essential for cell membrane growth and thus your petís growth and development in general. If unsaturated fatty acids breakdown they could affect the flavour of the food.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D helps in the absorption of the calcium.

Vitamin E
Vitamin E helps to maintain a dogís healthy immune system. As dogs age, antioxidants like Vitamin E can help reverse the age-related decrease in immune response

Vitamins
Vitamins play an important role in enzyme reactions and metabolic functions.

Water
Water is the biggest component of blood and cells. It helps disperse heat and regulate body temperature. And it aids in digestion.

Wheat
Wheat is a far better grain to digest than corn or soybean, and using a combination of different forms of grain-ground wheat, wheat flour, wheat germ meal, and ground rice is better than using just one grain. Humans, as well as pets, have certain foods they should not eat. While a wheat base is acceptable to most dogs, it is up to each pet owner to make this determination. We purchase the grains for our dog food recipe from General Mills and Pillsbury, not directly from the farm. The cost is greater; however, we are insured of receiving the finest quality for our healthy dog food without the risk of mold or other harmful toxins.

Whole ground flax seed
Flaxseed is an excellent source of Omega-3 (0.5%) essential fatty acids, which help to keep the skin and coat in tip-top shape, and maintain lower cholesterol levels.

Yeast Culture
Yeast Culture is a beneficial bacteria that assists proper digestion.

Yucca Schidigera Extract
Yucca Schidigera Extract is an anti-inflammatory that reduces joint pain and inflammation. It also reduces urine and stool odour.

Zinc oxide
Beneficial in reproduction and healthy skin.

Zinc Proteinate
Zinc Proteinate gives your pet a healthy skin and a soft coat.

aussiemedogs
September 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Food and more foods to compare...

I used to believe on so many things about diet for animals, over the years though I have seen dogs on all different foods and I know of 3 people who have fed (crappy) foods like old Roy and Jappy ets.....and all three of them have had their dogs die at very old ages....and these were not Heinz 57's

1 Newfounlander was pts sleep at the ripe old age of 12.he ate old Roy
1 Afghan died at 13 yrs eatting Jappy!
1 Bouvier ate anything that was on special at the grocery store and lived to be 10 yrs....

I feed my guys/girl Nutro's but it is so unexplained as to why some dogs will live ripe old ages eating so-called crap and yet we try to feed what we believe to be the best for our pets...but who knows?

LavenderRott
September 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I have sitting in front of me a bag of Kirkland Brand Super Premium Chicken and Rice that I paid $15.00 for.

The list of ingredients is as follows:
chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken far (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin e), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim mild, cranberry powder, potassium shloride, salt, sholine chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothanate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vit. B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Now, I don't know if what they sell in Canada is different, but this is pretty solid stuff and my boxer boy looks great!

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM
db7, it's hard to sift through the ingredients, when most of the info comes from the food companies themselves. Brewer's rice- the scrap from making beer. Look how it's worded:
Brewers Rice
Brewers Rice is one of the most digestible grains available. Rice is a carbohydrate that provides a quick source of energy and good stamina.
Why not "Brewer's rice is a carb that provides [...]"? Because brewer's rice is so stripped of nutrients, that it IS easy to digest, but it does not provide the carbs that rice has. So wording it how they did doesn't make anything false. They never say the Brewer's rice is a good source of carbs. They're sneaky. Very, very sneaky.

And wheat- it can be good, just be very aware of allergies.
And Corn Gluten- I said, some people consider that good, but a lot of foods have whole corn in them broken down into the parts to hide it better.

The percentages are not enough. If your protein is coming from sources that are not metabolized, it's useless. You can eat a clump of hair and say that it's close to 100% protein, but NONE of that will go into muscle/tissue repair, energy, or other necessary metabolites. It will likely just end up in the feces as HAIR. Same with whole corn.

A while ago, I did a LOT of math on another thread in which I calculated approximately how much protein would come from corn if it was a main ingredient. If I remember properly, about 75% of the protein in the food I was looking at came from corn and by-products, while about 25% was from real meat. I did estimate a lot of numbers in favor of the grains, and it came out cruddy anyway.

I don't want my dogs getting the major part of their protein from a veggie or grain. They're dogs. Granted, I have seen dogs eat corn, but most seem to really prefer meat, and actually seem to digest meat better than corn (even humans have a hard time with corn). And there are better foods out there right? You just have to feed the best you can, and for me, that's no wheat, no corn, no brewer's rice, no soy, no by-products. As I learn more, I will constantly add to that list and become more and more selective of my doggies' food.

I had a dobie who lived till 13 on Dog Chow, and a lab who lived till 14 on grocery store no-name food. We had a newf who lived till 16 on crap food too. For me, it's not how long they lived, but how long they could have lived, and how much better their quality of life could have been. If they were on great food, and there was as big a difference in health as I have seen in my dogs after switching from Euk to Solid Gold, how much longer could they have lived? You know? I wonder.

mafiaprincess
September 25th, 2005, 03:18 AM
It's like people food..

Brown rice, wild rice, oatmeal.. they are all better for you than all the types of white rice avalible.. So while a filler is needed.. I'd rather it be healthier. There seems to be a link between white rice and its subsidiary products and diabites potentially.

As long as I can afford a food that is white rice and corn free, I'd choose it first.. Most food that contains both usually has other less than quality ingredients too.

Lissa
September 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Dodger tried Costco's brand "Chicken and Rice" after reading that it was the best food for a cheap price. Dodger hates it. When it came time to eat Costco food on its own, he wouldn't go near his bowl for hours. Only when he was starving did he resign himself to eating it.

I also found it too stinky to keep in the office, I ended up stashing it in the crawl space because I could stand it!!

Beetlecat
October 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I used to feed my dog Kirklands. I only switched him because his stools were very soft. It's a good food for those no willing or who cannot afford to feed super premium foods, but it all depends on the dog, of course.

My cat still eats the kirklands cat food.

And, I agree, it is very stinky. No doubt that's due to the fat sprayed on it to make it palatable, like almost all dog foods.

lol, I always laugh at that cat food commerical (tempations?) where they say something like "..all [kibble pieces] are double basted in natural juices.' That just means they get sprayed with rancid fat while going down a converyer belt so that cats will want to eat a wad of processed grains. But the advertisers make it sound so romantic.

StaceyB
October 18th, 2005, 06:05 AM
There may be some exceptions but the rule of thumb is if it is advertised it is probably not all that good and we all know that if you can purchase the food at the grocery store, stay away from it.

wlance
December 30th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I have 2 very large dogs.1 is a 2 year old 100+ pound American Staff, the
other a 18 month old 140 pound African Boerbol.
As pups, I fed both dogs a diet of raw poultry, organ meats and raw meaty
bones.I also supplemented with minerals and vitamins as well as eggs.
Both dogs did great on the raw diet, but it became tedious as both dogs are verry picky eaters.
I turned to prepared kibble to ease the task. First up was Abbady, wich did not work at all. It was giving the dogs very loose stools.At first I figured it was the diet change, but after 4 weeks it was the same story.I susspect it was 2 rich in protein.The salty flavor (due to the Menhadden Fish) also made them drink massive amounts of water, which of course increased the amount of trips outside to pee.
Next was Wellness and I must say that overall it is a good feed. The Boerbol took to it like a champ, but my Bully had to adjust. Somthing about it still had his stool a little on the soft side. Aside from that he addapted and started to do very well as far as physical appearance and over all health. So next was a food recomended by a breeder friend called Health Extension. A good food, but the dogs hated the taste. In a pinch 1 day I picked up a bag of Kirkland super premium chicken, I must say I am impressed. It has been 2 months since I started feeding and both dogs are doing very well on it. The great thing is that thier stools are compact and firm, and they seem to enjoy taste of kibble.
In closing, most of the premium dog foods are good, but results vary from dog to dog. If you are happywith Kirkland stick with it. Just stay away from the garbage ladden BHA/BHT containing commercial crap (i.e. Iams. Eukanuba, Pedigree, ...).

Prin
December 30th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Keep in mind that the beet pulp is a stool hardener that could be making the stool harder even if it shouldn't be. In my opinion, soft stool on a more natural food, like Wellness, can be worked around and fixed, and is not necessarily a symptom of anything (it could be from feeding too much). But just as a soft stool might not be any indication, a hard stool might not be either. As soon as stool hardeners are thrown in the mix, using the stool as a way of judging health is basically useless unless the dog is very, very sick.

Just so you know. Kirkland is ok, but it's not as good as Wellness and others of that range. If you have picky beasties, next time try Solid Gold Wolf King. Get a sample from wherever you bought your Wellness. Most, if not all, the picky eaters I have recommended it to wolf it down.

vfrohloff
January 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Prin, where do you buy Solid Gold in Montreal? I have been looking for it and can't find it anywhere.

I had my cats and my dogs on Kirkland Signature and neither of them did well on it. The dogs were on the Lamb and Rice because Benny is allergic to chicken. Sopie did alright on it, but it made Benny sick. I did the switch very slowly because I know he is sensitive and he still barfed every morning. I now have them on a combination of Holistic Blend and Nutro Lamb and rice and he seems fine.
As for the cats they did very poorly on the Kirkland Signature. I noticed that Minew had WAY less energy than before, and Tobey had chunks of hair falling out. The others had lots of dandruff and dull coats while they were on it. Just my 2 cents.

Prin
January 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I buy it in the west island at Woofers on Sources just north of the 40. You can also get it at Le Reveil Du Maitre on St-Laurent blvd just below little Italy (and I think there's one on St-Jean too). Otherwise, Club K-9, which is at 6004 Sherbrooke St. West, has some kinds but not all types of solid gold...

Good luck.:)

catsnatcher-CDN
January 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Afte reading up on all the info on this board about dog food, I;ve decided to change Max's food. He's been on IAMS since we got him 4 years ago.

I really didn't know IAMS was bad. I don't know why it's bad or what BHT/something is, but I'll take everyone's word for it.

I've been nervous about changing his food because I'm not sure how he'll react to something new, in terms of upset stomach or allergies that we may not know about.

Anyway, I just bought KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Lamb and rice and was told by someone (not on this board) that giving a dog lamb on such a regular basis was not a good idea. They couldn't tell me why so I thought perhaps someone here may be able to give some insight.

Is it ok to give my dog Kirkland Signature Lamb and Rice, twice a day?

StaceyB
January 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
The standard for dog food is chicken. There is very liitle difference between the two but if you were to stay with chicken and your dog did develop allergies then the lamb would be the next choice.

mastifflover
January 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Lamb can also be more fattening if you have a dog who is not very active. I feed Bud Kirkland Chicken the lamb is too rich for him and he is not very active. I did feed Solid Gold to start but the Buddy had the worst gas the room clearing kind. I think as long as you feed the best you can afford and it is not loaded with crap and most importantly it works for your dog then that is what really matters.

Prin
January 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Kirkland is much better, good value, but it's not all the way up there with the holistic foods. There are also stool hardeners (beet pulp). The rest is ok.:)
(I'll try to get some samples of wolf king for you next time I see you...:D )

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Everyone,

I'll take you up on the sample offer, Prin.:thumbs up

Last night and this morning, I gave Max half Iams and half of the Kirkland Lamb and Rice and I swear he picked off the Iams and just ate the Kirkland brand! (Eventually he went back and ate it all, though).

Next time, I think I'll buy the chicken and rice instead since he's not very active.

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 08:03 PM
You don't want to wait till the warnings and recalls wear off?:o

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Prin,

huh?
Crap! I just read it.
It's back to IAMS! :mad:

How can we find out when it will be safe again?

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM
ShannonRN feeds "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul", which is made by Diamond too, and their bags have little "safe" stickers on them.

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I don't want to change between brands too fast in case he reacts to something. I may not know what he reacted to.

I gave him a cup of kirkland signature yesterday night, a cup this morning and a cup this evening....Should I be worried? What should I look for?

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM
If the food is bad, you mean? I think it was lethargy, fever, etc, like serious poisoning...

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Here:
Meanwhile, if your pet is showing any symptoms of illness, including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes and/or gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea, please consult your veterinarian immediately
Is that what you meant?

shannonRN
January 15th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Not exactly Prin (re: the safe stickers)...but here's what Diamond says:

Contaminated Diamond Pet Food Products and "Best By" Dates Narrowed
META, Mo. – Jan. 11, 2006 – Based on analytical sampling of finished product lots retained by Diamond Pet Foods, the company has been able to narrow products and "Best By" dates affected by aflatoxin.

Testing of more than 2,700 finished product samples conducted by independent laboratories confirms that only Diamond Maintenance Dog and Diamond Premium Adult Dog with "Best By" dates of April 3, April 4, April 5, and April 11, 2007, are potentially toxic. These products also will have a capital "G" (in reference to the company's Gaston, S.C., facility) in the 11th or 12th position of the date code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags). The capital "G" will be in the 9th position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.

Test results for all other products have not been toxic.

As a proactive precautionary measure, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and Premium Edge brands have been tested and are negative for aflatoxin. It is important for consumers to note that Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and Premium Edge brands are not included in the product recall.

"This testing will help our customers better identify products affected," said Mark Brinkmann, chief operations officer, Diamond Pet Foods.

Brinkmann also stressed that products included in the original voluntary recall should be returned to retailers. For complete information on the product recall, please refer to the company's Web site, www.diamondpet.com.

On December 21, Diamond Pet Foods initiated a voluntary recall of all products containing corn produced at its Gaston, S.C., facility and distributed to 23 states in the eastern U.S. The only states affected by the recall are Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont and Virginia.

Just to be safe, because frankly I don't entirely trust ANY company experiencing HUGE financial losses and lawsuits, I was making sure that even our Chicken Soup food had 'safe' best by dating on the bags...just to be sure the food wasn't in contact with unsafe foods. I don't think the Kirkland brands were ever recalled either so it's probably okay.

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
That's what bugs me though- Kirkland is never mentioned, so how do we know it's safe?

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 09:09 PM
<Quote>
If the food is bad, you mean? I think it was lethargy, fever, etc, like serious poisoning...</quote>

Ya.....Are the symptoms immediate or should I keep an eye on him for a while?
Prin, I should have you on speed dial!

ShannonRN, I'm gonna see if can call the company tomorrow morning about Kirkland just to be sure.

shannonRN
January 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
There are just the original releases mentioning Kirkland:

http://www.diamondpetrecall.net/faq.php?ID=6

What products are NOT included in the recall?
Although certain pet foods produced at the Gaston facility have been voluntarily recalled due to potential aflatoxin contamination, a wide range of the plant's products are perfectly safe and still can be purchased from retailers.

Gaston products not part of the recall include:

All Premium Edge products
The complete Chicken Soup product lines
Canine Club
Kirkland Signature Puppy
Kirkland Signature Chicken & Rice Adult Dog
Kirkland Signature Lamb & Rice Adult Dog
Kirkland Signature Mature Dog
Kirkland Signature Maintenance Cat
Diamond Lamb and Rice Adult
Diamond Large Breed Adult 60+
Diamond Large Breed Puppy (Lamb & Rice Puppy)
Diamond Senior 8+
Diamond Kitten
Professional Lamb and Rice
Professional Reduced Fat Chicken & Rice Dog Food

I don't think it's unsafe to feed ANY of the Diamond foods, as long as you check the label for the codes & best by dates. It's believed it was a single corn shipment that was tainted but managed to slip through. But if the Kirkland foods don't have corn, that's another factor making it unlikely that there could be any problem with the food.

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Then it's good you got lamb and rice after all!:D

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that ShannonRn,

I feel better that there won't be consequences.

Sheesh! After 4 years, what at time I've chosen to change his food! :(

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Now you know, you have to ask first!:party: I'm kidding. It's all ok. Nevermind any of this.

How many cups are you feeding Max a day?

Boubou
January 15th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Hey Scorp 1! If you check out the Wellness website, they will give you a store closest to you that sells their product. It is sold here in Quebec; they simply put a french sticker on it.

I sell it at my grooming shop in St. Bruno- 30lbs Supermix Chicken for $57.99. Definitely more expensive than Kirkland, but it's the best your money can buy. I have 3 dogs, 2 are large breeds; a 70lb xlab, a rottweiller and a 25lb xsheltie. A 30 lb bag will last me almost 3 weeks. Not bad considering! They eat much less on a superior quality food such as Wellness - less than 3 cups a day each (excluding the little one), and they aren't skinny!

As for my cats, I can't afford to feed them Wellness, so I do feed them Kirkland (I have seven). I do supplement them in the evening with about 1/4 cup each of Wellness canned and I haven't had any health problems in years (knock on wood!!!). :pawprint: :pawprint:

gdamadg
January 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM
LOL, first off, I am not endorsing a specific food and I am not affiliated. But if Prin can go on and on about how Wellness will "bring world peace", hehehe, just a joke Prin, then I will talk about what I feed Sprint.

Hmmm, always seems a discussion about food. Every one has there preferences and for most it is guided by the almighty dollar. When I was on the search for a premium food for my big baby, I looked at many including Wellness. However, he snubbed his nose at it. And for a dog that would eat anything, I moved on. I have settled Go! Natural, Super Premium Chicken, Fruit and Vegetable.

http://www.petcurean.com/PDFs/go_natural_dog.pdf

It costs any where from $55 to $70 for a 13kg bag, depending if I buy it locally here or when I am in Ottawa. That will last about a 3 weeks or so. If your looking for a cheaper food, they also have "lower end" lines. Still good quality. Just check out there product table.

http://www.petcurean.com/product_table.html

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
But gdamadg, you have to brag about what the food has done for your doggies...:D

gdamadg
January 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
But gdamadg, you have to brag about what the food has done for your doggies...

lol, Well he doesn't shed hardly at all, his coat is thicker and shinier. His energy level is absolutely crazy, a hard one to keep up with at times. Clean ears, almost no build up at all. Beautiful white teeth. His build has evened out, lean and strong, but not bulky. My sister who I had got him from, saw him for the first time since I got him, while she was up for xmas, said she has never seen him this healthy looking. And I have to agree. ;)

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
:thumbs up :)

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Now you know, you have to ask first!:party: I'm kidding. It's all ok. Nevermind any of this.

How many cups are you feeding Max a day?

I feed him 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning, 2 at night.
But I mixed the kirkland food with one cup of Iams each time these last 2 days.

gdamadg
January 15th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I feed him 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning, 2 at night.

People are afraid to pay the extra money for a premium food, but that is a perfect example to do it. I feed Sprint 2 1/4 cups of food a day. That's it and he is a fairly active dog. And with all the healthy benefits, it will show in the end, with reduced visits to the Vet. But this is IMO, and some food for thought. lol, pardon the pun.

Prin
January 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Yeah, that's a lot to eat... Boo (87 lbs) gets 2.5-3 cups a day. :o

technodoll
January 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
lucky you... dakotah at 110 lbs and growing, eats about 3.5 cups of Go! Natural per day during the week IN ADDITION to 1 or 2 lbs of raw meat with bones, AND 1/2 can of wet food or a can of fish or cooked meats... per DAY.

weekends he gets about 5 cups of Nature's Variety New Zealand Medley + canned fish, or wet food, or meats, bagel with cream cheese, etc per day. and you can still see his ribs through all that akita fur when he stretches, not an ounce of fat on him.

i envy you and your wallet, LOL!

Prin
January 16th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but my doggies are getting older and are less excited and more sleepy. They still play a lot but are less awake between playings.

gdamadg
January 16th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I am sure that if Sprint (70lbs) was more active, I would definately feed him more. It's not for the lack of money, I could afford to feed him more. He gets snacks now and then too, treats and when I am snacking on fruits or veggies. But I have a disability and I am active enough to match his full potential, lol. He has helped me a lot by getting me more active. He has his potential to be lazy though, we feed off each others energy. When I have energy he takes advantage of it and when I am not feeling well, he is lazy.

glasslass
January 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
i wass told its made by diamon http://www.diamondpetfood.com/ thay make it end stamp the costco name on it.

I just heard(Friday or Saturday?) on the morning news that Diamond had recalled dogfood because of "naturally occurring mold" problem that could potentially be fatal for dogs. I didn't hear the whole segment and haven't seen anything on it since, so I don't know the details.

glasslass
January 16th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I just checked that website and they have information about the recall under the heading of "press releases" and also "recall Q&As".

RaYne
January 17th, 2006, 08:09 AM
If you think 4 cups a day is bad.. you wouldn't want to feed my dog. LOL He's eating 7 cups a day of the Solid Gold Hundenflocken and that's keeping him on the thin side, less weight on his joints while he's still growing. The 30 pound bag last maybe 3 weeks.

Writing4Fun
January 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Here's the answer I got from Costco about their Kirkland brand food and the recall:

"Good morning Vicky,

The recent recall by Diamond foods does not affect the Kirkland
Signature Canadian Dog Food. Our dog food is manufactured in different
plants and is subject to more detailed testing and specifications due to
extensive safety laws in Canada.

Thank you,
Jennifer M. Bennett
Costco Wholesale Canada
(I removed the contact information, just in case)"

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hey Scorp 1! If you check out the Wellness website, they will give you a store closest to you that sells their product. It is sold here in Quebec; they simply put a french sticker on it.

I sell it at my grooming shop in St. Bruno- 30lbs Supermix Chicken for $57.99. Definitely more expensive than Kirkland, but it's the best your money can buy. I have 3 dogs, 2 are large breeds; a 70lb xlab, a rottweiller and a 25lb xsheltie. A 30 lb bag will last me almost 3 weeks. Not bad considering! They eat much less on a superior quality food such as Wellness - less than 3 cups a day each (excluding the little one), and they aren't skinny!

As for my cats, I can't afford to feed them Wellness, so I do feed them Kirkland (I have seven). I do supplement them in the evening with about 1/4 cup each of Wellness canned and I haven't had any health problems in years (knock on wood!!!). :pawprint: :pawprint:

Do you sell Solid Gold too?

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I received an e-mail yesterday that said the recall had been extended to Kirkland and Chicken Soup. Don't know if there is any truth to this but I wouldn't take a chance.

I know someone whose son works at Costco. They are well aware of the recalls here in Canada and have received memos to that effect. I wonder why they would receive memos if it does not affect the Canadian food.

:rolleyes:

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I received an e-mail yesterday that said the recall had been extended to Kirkland and Chicken Soup. Don't know if there is any truth to this but I wouldn't take a chance.
Here's the answer I got from Costco about their Kirkland brand food and the recall:

"Good morning Vicky,

The recent recall by Diamond foods does not affect the Kirkland
Signature Canadian Dog Food. Our dog food is manufactured in different
plants and is subject to more detailed testing and specifications due to
extensive safety laws in Canada.

Thank you,
Jennifer M. Bennett
Costco Wholesale Canada
(I removed the contact information, just in case)"
Who do we believe?! I'm glad my doggies are on Solid Gold... (knock on wood)

Writing4Fun
January 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Again, it could be that it was recalled only in the States. If it was recalled here in Canada, wouldn't they have pulled it off the shelves?

I'm just looking for validation because I have a brand new, unopened 40lb bag in my pantry. :(

shannonRN
January 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
It was not recalled in the states. My dogs took a hiatus from it because of emails like that one---the rumors started flying. If you're concerned, check your labels against the recall codes and dates that I posted in a paste job from the diamond site. It's not like ALL of their food was affected for an indefinite period of time--even the affected diamond foods can be used if you verify the dates & codes on the labels....

Testing of more than 2,700 finished product samples conducted by independent laboratories confirms that only Diamond Maintenance Dog and Diamond Premium Adult Dog with "Best By" dates of April 3, April 4, April 5, and April 11, 2007, are potentially toxic. These products also will have a capital "G" (in reference to the company's Gaston, S.C., facility) in the 11th or 12th position of the date code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags). The capital "G" will be in the 9th position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.

Test results for all other products have not been toxic.

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM
HEY! I just realized something! If you buy it at Costco, they will notify you if it's recalled. My Christmas lights were recalled and I got two notification cards in the mail pretty soon after they were recalled. They have your address and info in your membership file and they have every purchase you have ever made on file too. Maybe you could call member services and ask if there are any recalls on your account. Does that help anybody?

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 05:51 AM
UPDATE:

So i've been feeding Max the Costco Signature Kirkland Brand (Lamb and Rice) for the last few months and he has gotten FAT. I tried to switch it to the chicken and rice and he just wouldn't have it....Didn't touch his food for 3 days. I also notice that he is not as peppy as before. Seems exhausted.

I need a new option. Any suggestions?
I can't afford the best type of food but something reasonably priced and still healthy for Max.

He is over 90 lbs. Doberman mix, now 5 years old.

technodoll
May 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
you could buy any of the premium holistic foods, they cost less to feed... mix in canned green beans or fish to break up the calorie-rich grains... or just get a grain-free kibble and mix in some brown rice drizzled with olive oil, that you cook yourselft once a week... you would not feed alot and your dog would be so much healthier. give raw chicken backs or legs a few days per week to see a drop in weight & an increase in muscle tone, coat, energy level and see smaller poops. there are many alternatives to feeding a cheap or mid-range kibble - good luck! :highfive:

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Personally, I'd get the Wolf King... I know you think it's expensive, but the difference is not that huge. I mean I feed Boo 2.5-3 cups a day and he's 87lbs. It's $67 for 33lbs plus tax and with my two doggies a bag lasts almost a month. Maybe you could just try it for a while? Nothing is permanent... I mean a couple of months... :o

But for cheapy foods, Kirkland is as good as it gets.:( After Kirkland, the price jumps to $60+ a bag.

Oh wait, somebody said Canidae was cheaper? Around $56? Maybe... It was either that or Nutro. I'm not sure which it was.:o

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Prin,

where can I get a big bag of Wolf King?

$67!!!!!!! :yuck:

he's my baby....I have no choice but to give in

technodoll
May 17th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I have no choice but to give in

no true... you DO have alternate feeding choices available to you if you stepped off the beaten path of Dry Bagged Grains :)

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Well, there's le Reveil du Maitre on St-Laurent, just below little Italy, or there's a few Croq en Bol stores around. Croq is a bit more expensive though.

Le Reveil has a lot of other great holistic foods too, so you might find something cheaper that's still good...
http://www.lereveildumaitre.com/

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM
umm...there's a girly in a see-thru shirt on the contact page! How are they marketing their dog food??

These things can only happen in Quebec! :crazy:

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
LOL Knowing Qc, she's probably the president.:D

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM
they forgot to put an address on their site... I wonder what distracted them.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
no true... you DO have alternate feeding choices available to you if you stepped off the beaten path of Dry Bagged Grains :)

You're right technodoll, but i can't touch raw meat. I'd be disinfecting everything until javex became my trademark perfume. :rolleyes:

technodoll
May 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM
OMG that is hilarious! WTHeck? LOL :D

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
No, no, the address is here: http://www.lereveildumaitre.com/boutiques.php

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM
....I have issues...enough said. :sick: :p

I found their address on a hidden link on the front page.

phoenix
May 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Oh wait, somebody said Canidae was cheaper? Around $56? Maybe... It was either that or Nutro. I'm not sure which it was.:o

Hi guys,
Yes, Canidae is 57$ for the 40 lb bag. For my 2 dogs it lasts about a month as well. I feed my 80 lb guy about 3 cups a day and my 45 lb puppy about 2 1/2 cups... they are both extremely active. I also supplement with some canned Canidae, also yogurt, and chicken backs, legs, and other rmbs.

technodoll
May 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE]but i can't touch raw meat. I'd be disinfecting everything until javex became my trademark perfume[QUOTE]
yikes! :eek:
so you are vegetarian then at your house?... i don't even like meat but yet i eat it, how does that happen? ah yes... the man likes it... sigh!
i was more thinking along the lines of home-cooking for your doggy, or at least supplementing his dry food with it to cut costs and improve his condition...
good luck with finding a better food & let us know how it goes!

catsnatcher-CDN
May 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I'm not a vegetarian, no. But hubby handles cooking the meat end of dinner.

I think i'll try the wolf king instead of canidae since the difference is $10.00

Let's see what happens.

phoenix
May 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM
good luck with your choice, it's a great food. Just wanted to point out that the canidae is 10$ cheaper but also you get 7 more lbs of it too... it works out to a larger difference. It lasts only a month for me because I have puppies that eat more than adults do of the same weight.

Prin
May 18th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Catsnatcher, I'm with you on the meat. If I ever had to feed something other than kibble or canned, I'd have to cook, because the thought of them eating E. coli and salmonella and then drooling all over just freaks me out. Sure, we'd build up a resistance to it after a while, but before that... :yuck:

technodoll
May 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
prin, i'll be nice cuz i like you :) but please, you should not be talking about stuff you know nothing about. until you feed raw, or personally know people who do, you are only surfing on & propagating myths. people here respect what you have to say in regards to dog food, so it would be nice of you to not disrespect "other methods of feeding" just because *you* are not willing to investigate it. and by investigating, i mean actually talking to raw feeders personally, trying it out for yourself, and not just googling for misinformation. you are not doing anyone any favors by doing this.
kay? :angel:

Prin
May 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
K, I'll rephrase... The thought of my dog eating bacteria and then walking around slobbery, even though most of the bacteria is likely to be gone freaks me out. But then I use a meat thermometer when I cook any meat and even then, sometimes I nuke it for a minute to be sure. So I'm unusually anal about bacteria (in a not-so-normal sort of way). Is that better?:)

If it doesn't bug you to handle raw meat, then no worries! :)

technodoll
May 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
yes, much better thank you :)

i used to be squeamish, but you get over it with practice if you set your mind to it... and i rarely eat meat myself, the concept isn't too pleasant, LOL! After two years of having my hands on raw meat, with splatters on the floor, in my fridge, on my clothes and once, while whacking up a bunch of raw chicken legs, a bit flew in my open mouth, yuck! and another time, in my eye! double-yuck! i thought OH my GAWD i'm going to be sick...but no... not once in two years has anybody gotten sick. Ever. After a while you start to relax and realise that bacteria is everywhere (you track it in from outside on your shoes, you drag it out of the bathroom, it's everywhere, LOL) and as long as you keep basic hygiene practices alive, the bugs are not out to get you :D

and yes, my girl will often come over to give me kisses (she loves to lick my chin & mouth!) just after she chomped on some raw pork ribs or some goat pieces, both dogs slobber all over the place, they sneeze, the sometimes puke on the carpet, etc, it's all part of life... i can't let that stop me from feeding them what mother nature intended, well that's just crazy little me, LOL! IMO you catch more viruses, colds and bacteria from a kindergarden :o

catsnatcher-CDN
May 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM
while whacking up a bunch of raw chicken legs, a bit flew in my open mouth, yuck! and another time, in my eye! double-yuck!

:yuck: OMG! If this happened to me, I'd have a thermometer lodged in my *** 24/7, tracking subtle changes!!!!

I'm going to reveilmatin this weekend for my first bag of wolf king.

Prin
May 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM
lol I'd be "scoping" or "listerining" for hours, until all the skin in my mouth is so fried that I am sure the bacteria must be too.:D

But yeah, I suppose you get used to it.

rainbow
May 18th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I also would be scared of the bacteria thing:eek: and also, I'd be afraid I wouldn't get the proper balance of everything.:eek:

It's funny how time has changed man's way of thinking. Fifty years ago dogs were fed crap dog food and whatever was left over from man's dinner. And now we're making meals specifically for our pets.:D

technodoll
May 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
wonder what the pet food industry will look like in 50 years... :confused:

mafiaprincess
May 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I was curious and asked on another site about germs and BARF. Like dog eats dinner, chews on stuftie and licks your face.
Do you worry about the potential nastiness on the stuftie, and do you worry about face kissing, or the accidental tongue in mouth.
Most people told me they didn't worry, and if you did to brush after every meal. I'd never be able to devote that much time into 'meal time'... but I thought it was an interesting question for BARF feeders.. something that just popped up thinking about it.

technodoll
May 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
if you ask any raw-feeder, you'll find that the issue of "germs" is quasi-non existant with them, and is considered to be a mere scare-tactic propagated by the pet food industry to discourage people from feeding their pets a natural diet. I mean, do zoo-keepers wear thick gloves while handling all the animals' raw meats and then disinfect afterwards? do farmers? do butchers? do hunters? do people who work in slaughter-houses?... and the list goes on, when you look outside the box of feeding your dog "real food". In fact the nastiest places are the kibble-factories themselves, what do you think actually goes in that food before it's cooked to a brown paste? nothing fresh, guaranteed. :yuck:

also, we all pick up our dog's poop (and vomit), that is where the bacteria is. how many people use shovels and are meticulous to never let a molecule of feces touch their shoes, hands, clothing, etc? how can you be *sure*? i find changing a baby's diaper a hundred times more disgusting than handing a raw chicken leg to my dog, to be honest. the chicken is cleaner than the yellow diaper poop and alot less smelly, too! Yet... diapers are changed (and not all are disposable plastic ones either!) and people don't drop dead from baterial poisoning. :)

another thing to consider, the only pets fed dried grain pellets are the cats and dogs in the rich, industrialised countries, which makes up less than half of the world's geography. i doubt the dogs in Africa, China and South America are fed anything from a bag... are these dogs all sickly and dying, are their owners infected with salmonella? hmmm. hardly would think so.... Our worlds have become so micro-focussed on whatever clever marketing hype is showing us in glossy magazines and musical tv ads and peddled by ignorant vets, that we have forgotten to raise our heads above the water to see further than our own little reality. And in any argument, it should matter to weigh all the facts before making a judgement call... in this case, whether feeding raw is dangerous to human health. i vote "no" :)

vivalv66
August 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM
We have a new 10 month old Pit. We rescued him from the shelter. He was there for 4 months on a variety of donated food. I have been feeding him, my 16 yr old mix and my 13 yr old German Shorthair Pointer Kirkland Chicken Rice Veg for about 2 weeks. He has very bad gas and some diarrhea. Should I wait it out or switch to something else? The mix dog is doing good. The Pointer has never done good on any food but she likes it. The pup I am worried about. Any suggestions? I thought about getting some puppy food but vet said adult was ok. He is very small. 32lbs. He likes the food. Eats real fast which could give him gas but all the time? and really smelly!
Thanks for any help.
Sherry

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
You should open a new thread to get more responses.

How long have you had the new pup? Check out the food forum for better higher quality food alternatives.

Frenchy
August 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
vivalv66 , I was feeding my dogs Kirkland lamb and rice. They loved it. After a couple of months they did start to have diary. So I switch them to another brand. I don't know if Kirkland changed their recipe of if it was a bad batch, but since I switched , no poop problem. :shrug:

punkyamberlea
August 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I have had alot of issues with allergies with my little dog. Hes had a number of skin scrappings, been to the derm, punch bipsois, and many meds. He ate Hills Z/D for about a year and then i switched to this and he hasnt had a problem since... Z/D about $60 for 30#. Kirkland $18 for 40#.... Amber

Mia101
August 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM
mabe i should just chainge to the lamb end rice food see no by-product meal

end its to bad i dont have the labelle anemore i hem sure thers not by-product in the chicken formula if i remember corectly it starts whit chicken\chicken meal

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Lamb and Lamb meal are good. Whole grain brown rice is good. Rice flour, white rice, and egg product are not, but even Canidae has white rice as the 4th ingredient.

Just so you know, you're steering clear of Brewers rice, which is good, but rice flower is just as bad. So if you're looking at a food where the other ingredients are good, but it has Brewers rice,,,,,,as long as it's not the 2nd or third ingredient it's no worse than this food.

PS Canidae Lamb formula has none of these, I just don't know if the meat content is as high as the formula with a variety of meats.

matangers
September 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM
We just switched from Candiae to Kirkland due to the $$ reason. The dogs seem fine and eats it very well. :)

I got 2 bags of Lamb one and Chicken one in Kirkland..

I'll buy Candiae occassionally. But I think Kirkland is way better than Iams, Pedigree, and Science Diet. Correct? :angel:

I told my friends to get Candiae instead of Science Diet. They wouldn't do it.. so, then I mentioned about Kirkland... one of them thinks about it.. Well, it's better than Science Diet, right? :shrug:

Oh by the way, Nova just turned 1...

rainbow
September 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I'll buy Candiae occassionally. But I think Kirkland is way better than Iams, Pedigree, and Science Diet. Correct?

For people with $$$$ issues, Kirkland is the best choice.

rainbow
September 20th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Oh by the way, Nova just turned 1...

Just turned one ....where's the pics? :D Happy Birthday to Nova ....

Issa_and_bri
June 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hi there, I am new to this panel and was reading through this whole Kirkland fiasco.
I have a 1 yr old yellow lab named Bentley. We adopted him at 8 weeks old and for the first 6 months of his life we must have had him on at least 7 or 8 different foods. The breeder had him on Puppy Chow....I know it's not a good food (kind of like eating Mc Donalds all the time) We wanted to put him on a really good food so we asked around. Everyone was telling us that "Blue Buffalo" was the best. Well we ever so slowly started to mix the foods until he was only on the Blue Buffalo. WHAT A DISASTER! The poor thing had the runs so bad that he was bleeding. Not knowing what to do we put him right back on the puppy chow, and everything cleared right up. We knew we wanted to get him off the puppy chow but we were also scared that the poor thing was going to go through the "runs" again. After 5 or 6 other "high quality" brands that had the same reaction, we were told to try him on Kirkland by our vet. We were hesitant about it just due to the price. Our vet said kirkland is better than some of the brands that he had in the office....not to mention any (science diet) names. We put Bentley on Kirkland and he has been wonderful ever since. I agree that it might not be the "BEST" dog food out there, but when the better quality foods are too rich for your dog and posing health risks, we feel that Kirkland is the way to go.:dog:

kandy
June 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
This thread is pretty old, and IMO Blue Buffalo is a mediocre food at a premium food price. Kirkland is a better choice for the $$$. I would imagine it wasn't a case of the premium food being too rich, it could have been that you were overfeeding it. They need much less of a good quality food than they need of a low quality food because they are actually absorbing the nutrients in the premium food instead of just passing it through the system and out the other end. It could've also been an intolerance to an ingredient in the better foods. Premium food is definitely worth the price, you just have to find the one that is right for your dog.

Issa_and_bri
June 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your reply..I know it's an old thread but I wanted to have my say (typical woman) LOL
Anyway, whatever the reason was Bentley is doing 100% better on the Kirkland food. I can see that he is a healthy boy now and that makes me happy.

lUvMyLaB<3
June 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
this is interesting, had not seen this thread before...

I feed ( fed) my dogs orijen for a long time, but I am in a very small city in nowhere land.. and it is only available in one store, that now sells bunnies and hamsters and ferrets ect.. so I am no longer going there.. So.. we have 3 other pet stores, one ( vinnies) sells dogs so I have never been in there don't know what they have, one sells mid range food, it is called pet lovers, near my house so I go there for toys and chewies all the time, pro plan and stuff like that.. then the other has some better food now, no orijen or innova, but they do have wellness but my dogs don't do well on it..

ANyway I found a food called BG-before grain, and I love it, my dogs are going crazy it was not expensive $24 for 7lbs, compared to $43 wellness, $45 orijen, $57 innova,v( those are the only foods I have ever fed) here are the ingredients off my bag,

chicken deboned, chicken meal,potato, turkey meal, canola oil, sweet potato,yeast culture, dried chicken liver, crude protien 32%, crude fat 15%, crude fiber 3%,moisture 11%

I am happy with it, I like that there are no grains,there is salmon oil and for carbs a decent varitey of good veggies, there is also blueberris and acai berries ect further down on the list, so far I am happy and I have a lab with allergies.. I also grab a few cans of dog food, they have 100% tripe, ect, there is nothing in the can but tripe and water so it is good to throw on top of some food for them. If anyone else is looking for a pretty good food at a great price, try it! my dogs are going NUTS for it and my lab is usually not so interested in kibble, I am even using it as treats!!

lUvMyLaB<3
June 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
oye!! maybe I should look at the dates, more than just the last one.. oh my goodness.. haha!! ... the lights are on but no one is home....

Frenchy
June 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
vivalv66 , I was feeding my dogs Kirkland lamb and rice. They loved it. After a couple of months they did start to have diary. So I switch them to another brand. I don't know if Kirkland changed their recipe of if it was a bad batch, but since I switched , no poop problem. :shrug:

that was in 2007 .... in 2008 (I think) I went back to buying Kirkland but the chicken formula and I'm very happy with the results. Also , with the gas prices last year , they had raise the prices of everything , and the bag of 40 lbs slowly got to + $9.00 which I thought was a big raise but , their have lower their prices lately. :thumbs up

oh and they now have boxes of Kirkland cookies for dogs. They also have Milk bones cookies , I was comparing the ingredients and again , Kirland wins :thumbs up so of course , I bought the jumbo box , only one thing , the cookies are very big and thick so not ideal for smaller dogs.

Gail P
June 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I've recently switched to the Kirkland Chicken forumula as well and am happy with it. I had no problems with my previous brand but it was getting too costly to feed to this many dogs. I'd heard so many great things about the Kirkland food that I decided to give it a try and have been very pleased with the results and the savings. I was paying $52.99/bag (17kg) for a large breed food that was 26% protein/12%fat, and when working the dogs $59.99/bag for high energy 30% protein/20%fat. The Kirkland is 26/16 and only costs $29.99/bag for a larger bag (18kg). I can almost buy 2 for the price of one and the dogs are doing really well on it.

lmason921
February 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hey All I just purchased an eight week old Blue Fawn Pit; I did alot of research while waiting for his pending arrival. I compared and researched differnet brands of puppy foods and thought Kirkland would be best for him; Nutrition wise as well as price this would be the best for Diego and my budget. Well, I put Diego on Kirkland and he did well; his stool was firm for the first day or two. After the 2nd day I mix in Pro Plan wet puppy food to make it just a little easier for him to eat. Well, his stool was watery, I stopped mixing and went back to only dry. Now Diego has firm stool and sometimes runny stool. I am wondering if its the Kirkland food or maybe he has a very sensitive little tummy. Has anyone else experience this with their puppy?

williamsl
February 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I bought Kirkland twice. It caused horrible diarrhea, loss of hair, and felt bad. I switched to Hill's and then Nutro and he's fine now. Another dog was just fine on it.

Frenchy
February 9th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Now Diego has firm stool and sometimes runny stool. I am wondering if its the Kirkland food or maybe he has a very sensitive little tummy. Has anyone else experience this with their puppy?

oh dear .... what a cute puppy !!

I bought Kirkland twice. It caused horrible diarrhea, loss of hair, and felt bad. I switched to Hill's and then Nutro and he's fine now. Another dog was just fine on it.

I don't know about the ingredients in the puppy food ... if there's lamb , there could be runny stools. Or if you switch your dogs on the new food too fast. You have to do it gradually , slowly , over about 2-3 weeks.

My dogs did have runny stools on the lamb formula but never had any problem with the chicken and rice formula.

Deauce
March 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
There are so many choices out there these days.

Could I have some opinions on the two listed below?

The ingredients are listed further down in the description on each.

I have a 56lb Golden Retreiver, which I thought mixing in some fish would be good for her coat. But also offer the chicken for variety. I am in the process of trying to find Wellness locally.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750074&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750073#prodTab1

Thanks for your help.

happycats
March 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
I swear by this site; http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Blue buffalo scores a 4 out of 6 stars. Kirkland a 3, which is the best score for the price.

I still love Orijen, but if times get bad, and I couldn't afford it I would consider Kirkland.

You also have to keep in mind how much you need to feed, often with lower quality feed you have to feed twice as much, so are you really saving money:shrug:

Deauce
March 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks HappyCats - great link!

happycats
March 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks HappyCats - great link!

No problem, I actually for it from here ;)

kandy
March 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Blue Buffalo is a very grainy food IMO. In the fish formula, the first ingredient is whitefish - which is in a wet form, so it will drop down the list once it's processed. That makes the first and second ingredients grains. The chicken formula looks much better with a wet meat and then a meal as the first and second ingredients. But tomato pumace as the 6th (in the chicken) & 7th ingredient (in the fish)? While it is a source of lycopene, it's also a stool hardner. Having it that far up the list could certainly mask symptoms of digestive problems.

While sites that rate dog foods can certainly give you a place to start, they should never take the place of doing your own research which includes learning to read the labels. The ingredients are important, the sources of the ingredients are important - and where the food is made is important. There are lots of decent foods that are made by companies with a lengthy history of recalls for various contaminants (alfatoxin, salmonella, etc). IMO it's not worth the risk of feeding a food made by a company with obvious problems in their quality control - no matter what the price of the food.

alienc
March 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I am certain that they changed the Food, at least the Chicken and Rice one. My dog has been eating it for more than a year no problems, I bought a new bag on the weekend and just happened to run out of the old when I opened the new.

Had a case of the runs today and he has eaten nothing else that would cause this.

I notice that the kibble looks smaller than before, I even found one old piece he hadn't eaten yet and it's noticeable.

Just a warning on this, mix the old in with the new if you buy it, I will probably find something else to buy now if they are going to do this without warning.

lablove
April 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
By-law the order of the ingredients is by weight so filler splitting is not what is happening here. It's essentially the same as buying generic tylenol. There is no difference in ingredients but some people will always want to buy name brand. Do your research and do not solely rely on blogs, especially when it seems some of these people work for competitors of costco so they want to plug other foods. Look at the ingredients, I used to feed my dogs and cats Nutro natural choice (about $50 a 35 pound bag) and now I feed them costco which actually have not corn which the Nutro did and the animals are doing great on it and it's only $25 a 40 pound bag, huge difference. Good luck and give your pets a pat on the head from me!