Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chewing newspaper and puppy pads

TracyG
August 24th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi there! I have been home with my 9 week old Golden for the past week and a half. I have been taking her out every few hours (about 3) to pee. She's been doing fantastic!! I do have to go back to work next week and have to find somewher to keep Indy during the day. I have a baby gate blocking off the bathroom door for when I have to go out. I will be making a pen for her to stay in that will fit her crate as well. However, I went out today and, for the first time, was quite certain I wouldn't be back before she had to go out to pee. I put a puppy training pad down on the floor and when I went back 5 minutes later...just before leaving...she had ripped up and started chewing the puppy pad! She did that with newspaper before! In the end, I took it up and decided to just deal with the mess. Well...to my surprise...she didn't make a mess! 4 hours and nothing! What a champ! However, I am being realistic and I know she will have an "accident' when I go back to work. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do to either discourage her from chewing newspaper or the puppy pad...or something else I could use??

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Have you tried stuffing a kong with goodies to keep her busy? People here freeze them too, so they last longer. :)

TracyG
August 25th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I will try that! I had another toy that you hide a treat in...but I think she's afraid of it! I'll try the Kong! Thanks!

TracyG
August 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
What is ok for a puppy to have? Do I put some peanut butter on the inside of it??

jessi76
August 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM
What is ok for a puppy to have? Do I put some peanut butter on the inside of it??

absolutely! (warning - I created a puppy-peanut-butter-holic this way ;) )

A little insert comes with the Kongs, it has recipes on it.

TracyG
August 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Will this really be enough to distract her from chewing the padding??

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Tape the pad to the floor or purchase the frame for them.

TracyG
August 25th, 2005, 04:00 PM
The pads already have adhesive tape...but she rips it up from the side or the middle. I didn't know they had "frames" so I guess I'll have to look for that. Gee...if it's not one thing...it's another!! :rolleyes:

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I think there are Kong stuffing recipes in the recipe section here on the site... A really crazy one... :)

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15299

StaceyB
August 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Get the white one that looks like a picture frame.