Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Babies are here

epundt
August 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
It's me, your resident BYB. My miniture dachshund's puppies were born July 29th. There are 4 females and no runt. They will be 4 weeks old Friday and are healthy as can be. Mom is the greatest mom ever. She stayed with them constantly for the next 2 1/2 weeks. She's starting to wean now, feeding only twice a day. I've started the babies on puppy formula in between times.

The vet checked them out at 3 weeks old and prescribed the worm medicine they will receive once a week. We go back at 6 weeks old for their first shots and to be checked again. They will be chipped then also. I'm going to keep one female and the other three have wonderful homes waiting.

She will be spayed in the very near future. There will be NO MORE accidental pregnancies.

We go outside in the afternoons for about 30 minutes. They're not too fond of that. I guess the world is just to big for them to comprehend right now. 2 of them have started to make barking sounds. All are getting teeth. They look like little bears. I play with them individually to get them socialized as much as possible.

Mom has started letting their dad and the other two housemates check them out. They will be with me for another month before they go to their new homes. It's going to be hard letting them go. The new owners are really excited about the babies and will make great homes for them.

Anyway, this site is a nice place to visit when I need to see what others have to offer in an area I need help. I just read until I find what I'm looking for if it's there.

Please don't be unhappy with me for allowing these babies to live, I could have never aborted them, that would have been cruel. My girl getting pregnant was my fault and strictly an accident. It was not supposed to happen, I slipped up by not putting her in the kennel when her panties were in the dryer and I let her go without them for an hour. She hadn't been receptive to my male for a couple of days and I thought it would be OK for a little while. But it wasn't and the results are 4 beautiful little girls that deserved to live.

toby's tracy
August 24th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I'm glad the puppies are healthy and that you have found homes for them!

It sure will be hard saying goodbye - they must be darling :love:

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Well? Where are the pictures? :D I'm glad you are being responsible with the puppies though. Are you making the new owners sign a contract? (Like saying what minimum food they can feed, that they have to give the dog back if they can't keep it, that they have to spay them etc?)

Lucky Rescue
August 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
What you can do is arrange with your vet to do the spaying on the puppies when they are about 5 months old. You can prepay this, and call each of the adopters when the time is near to remind them.

Charge an adoption fee that will cover the cost of the spaying, and then make sure the puppies are all done.

Have an adoption contract that states that if they do not spay the puppies, you have the right to terminate the agreement and take the puppies back.

Anyone can make a mistake, and since you are trying to make the best of it, ensuring there are no more "ooops" litters is the only way to go with this. Try and imagine the population explosion if these puppies aren't spayed and each of them has a litter and THAT litter has litters, and so on and so on..... :eek:

And yeah, how about pics of the little fuzz butts?

epundt
August 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses. Yes, I'm going to have each sign a contract as well as requiring the pet insurance. The insurance on my babies pays 100% of spaying and the insurance is very cheap. I'm trying to find a contract that I can go by. If any of you know a website that offers puppy sale contracts that would be great. I tried to upload a picture of them, but the site says my file is to big. My daughter will be here this week-end and she can do it for me. I'm not very computer literate when it comes to these things.

epundt
August 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
P.S. I forgot to ask. I have a female Labrastray, ( lab & stray), I had her spayed at 6 mo's. Now, when it's her heat time, she must put off "that smell". All males that I'm associated with are humping her leg. Their too small to get any higher. This goes on for about 2 weeks until her apparant heat would be over. Years ago, vet's wouldn't spay until after the first heat for that reason, that they would still come in heat but with out the mess. Has anyone else had this problem? My male mini is not neutered because he doesn't go looking for it. We live in the country and there are no female dogs near by.
Thanks,
Eileene

Lucky Rescue
August 25th, 2005, 11:32 AM
You can get a blood test for your Lab to make sure there is no estrogen in her.

It can happen that even a bit of ovarian material is left after a spay, and that is enough to cause a heat cycle (although of course no pregnancy or bleeding)

Here is a sample pet adoption contract that will give you the basics and you can alter it to suit your purposes!:)
http://www.theanimalspirit.com/sample.html

epundt
August 25th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks Lucky. I think that's what is wrong with my labrastray.

twinmommy
August 25th, 2005, 02:02 PM
It's refreshing to see someone who tells it like it is--no beating around the bush--admits her/his mistakes and rights them as best as possible.

We can be a rough bunch, but we have the animals' best interest at heart, and so do you from what I can see. :)

Sounds like momma and puppies are doing great, thanks to you. :thumbs up

fuzz bucket pics pleeeeez!!!

Beaglemom
August 25th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I'm glad to hear that everything is good and that mom and puppies are doing great. Everyone makes mistakes, that is part of being human. You learned from yours and are going to do something about it. That's wonderful and responsible of you.

If your vet doesn't spay/neuter pups before 6 months, then doing as LR suggested is the best approach to take to make sure that these little ones don't grow up to have little ones of their own.

Please do post pictures! I would love to see the happy family.

epundt
August 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I've been trying to upload a picture. It's a single picture and I've sent them like this before. The file won't upload because it's too big. I get this message:
File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 100.0 KB. Your file is 130.1 KB.

I've tried everything I know and that's not saying much, to make the file smaller, it's only 1 jpeg picture, but to no avail. I may be able to get one this weekend when My daughter get's here, or if anyone can tell me what I can do.
Sorry for now, but don't give up.
Eileene :sorry: :sorry:

Beaglemom
August 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM
You are going to have to resize your picture. If you are using Microsoft Photo Editor, go to Image on your pull down menu, click on Resize, then reduce either the width or the height (reducing one automatically reduces the other). When you are done, you can check the size of your image by clicking on the File button on your pull down menu and then click on properties, it should tell you the size of your image. Keep doing it this way until you reach the size that fits. Hope that helps.

Shaykeija
August 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Glad to say that I could read all the messages without a flame resistant suit on. :p

MIA
August 25th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I agree with Lucky but would take it one step further, find a vet that does a pediactric spay and you will NEVER have to worry!

I agree charge a fee to cover your costs, maybe a little extra to donate to the local shelter! The contract is VERY important. You can find them online.

I also recommend tattooing and chipping them in your name in case anything happens in the future.

Good luck to you!

badger
August 25th, 2005, 09:21 PM
We're pining for pictures here epundt.

epundt
August 26th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Here is a pic of my babies. I hope you can see it OK. Took me forever to find out how to reduce the kb's in order to upload.
Eileene

epundt
August 26th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Here's another

epundt
August 26th, 2005, 08:33 PM
They are 1 month old today, in the pic they are 3 weeks old. They sleep 22 of 24 hrs and poop, pee and eat 1 1/2 hrs and play 1/2 hr. They are learning to bark, sort of, and mom and they other 2 fur babies run to see what's wrong. I think they are finally getting used to them and their noises though, not to excited anymore when it happens. Oh!!! They are eating more and more out of the bowl. When I get mom spayed, I need to ask my vet if she can do a breast reduction at the same time. My girl looks like a jersey cow. Pam Anderson doesn't have anything on my girl. I can't believe she's such a good mom as young as she is. I searched the web for puppy formulas because I just knew I was going to have to feed them. She took over the second they were born and protected them with her life. All she had to do was look at the other dogs and that look must have told them to stay away. They wouldn't go near her or her babies. Thanks all for your interest and hope you like the pics.
Eileene

Prin
August 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Wow! The little guy on the right with his belly up is smiling!! So cute!! I hope they do ok. :)

Beaglemom
August 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
They're soooo cute! Thank you for posting the pics.

badger
August 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Beyond adorable. You must have a hard time keeping your hands off them, soo kissable. I would LOVE to have a dashchund one day, they have so much attitude.

Lucky Rescue
August 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
OH they're too cute!! Little weiners...:p

I agree with Lucky but would take it one step further, find a vet that does a pediactric spay and you will NEVER have to worry!

Very true. Our vet just started doing pediatric s/n, and it sure takes a load off your mind!!

epundt
August 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Yes Badger, they are very kissible and I'm kissing the all the time. Dachshunds are the best dogs in the world. They are very devoted, don't shed and make really good bed partners. Cuddle a lot. I've had 3 and loved them all. My first one died of a massive heart attack when he was 13. It was my fault and I still haven't gotten over it. I had never heard of a bacterial infection causing a heart problem. It was a result of plaque buildup on his fang that caused a gum infection. Please everyone, clean your dogs teeh all the time. Don't let this happen to your babies. My poor dogs now run when they see the tooth brush, even if it's mine. He was a couch potato, slept 23 out of 24 hours. He's the one that was always getting hurt too. Dog bite on his back took 2 weeks and 5 stitches to heal, then a rattle snake bite that took 5 days to get over. If your gets bit by a poisonous snake, demand the anti venum shot, it's expensive but may savve their life. I wrote about this and put it on petwarmers.com. I made lots of friends through this story. If you would like to read it go to "petwarmers.com" under the petwarmer column, click on archives, then in the search box, type in "Droopy Took The Hit". I was going to write another one about the new babies, but had second thoughts about having it printed. It was the day my little girl lost her virganity. My fault again, but the story is funny. Thanks all for understanding that these babies were an accident, have faith in me even tho you don't know me, I will do the right thing. I just wonder if my vet can do a breast reduction on her when I have her spayed. Do you think?
Eileene