Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

unsure what to do

sepangie
August 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Hi all. I would really appreciate some advice. One week ago from today I had my 4 year old male golden neutered. I also had the vet look at a lump which was quite large on the base of my dogs neck while he was in surgery.

The day after I picked my beloved dog up. I was quite surprised to see that he did not have on a collar to keep him from licking the surgery site and I questioned why. I was told that since he had not licked at himself all night the vet did not believe that he required one. I questioned this because Shadow(my dog) is 120 lbs and was in a small cage all night at the vet. I do not believe that he would have had enough room to lick himself in there.I was shrugged off.

Then I noticed the lump. The vet had lanced the lump saying that it was a cyst caused by a blocked sweat gland. However he had left the site of the lancing open and said he wanted it to drain. I wondered why the site around this lump had not be shaven prior to the lancing. I was told it was not necessary. I was informed that I needed to take a warm cloth twice a day and pat at it to keep it clean. My dog has very long and curly hair. Finding the actual spot where this cyst was draining was very difficult.

Earlier this morning, Shadow began leaving drops of blood on the floor coming from his scrotum. I also noticed that he had a very foul odour around the cyst. He has also been a very socialable dog but since this surgery he avoids our family all day. It breaks my heart.

We took him back to the vet today and was informed that he had 2 major infections, one around the surgery site and one around the cyst. I was told that I should have been putting perxiode on the cyst,(this was told to me by another vet not the one who had done the surgery). They had to shave the area around the cyst to see where the open site was! I was never told about perxiode when I picked him up last week.

I also was told that Shadow had licked his surgery site so much that he had caused the infection there. I was upset and said then why didnt you put a collar on him when I picked him up last week like I requested? He informed me that he had not done the surgery therefore it was not his responsibility last week to insure that he received a collar!!

I received antibotics for him as well I was told to get perxiode and clean the cyst twice daily. Shadow is scheduled to return to this vet on Saturday to have his stitches removed.

I am upset over the care that our beloved family member received and I am not sure what to do. I have begun the antibotics and am cleaning the cyst regularly.

Is there anything that I should do regarding the lack of care that I believe my dog received? Where do I go from here?
Thanks so much for any advice that you can give.

toby's tracy
August 24th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I would change vets.

What area of Ontario are you in?

Maybe someone here can recommend a new vet for you...anyone?

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Find a new vet!! No vet should shrug off concerns. And they should have shaved the opening in the cyst, IMO. If you ever doubt your vet, find a new one.

coppperbelle
August 24th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I guess your vet may have had his reasons for not shaving the cyst area although I don't know what they could be. Was he shaved around his scrotum?
When I had my male neutered last year he was shaved. He did not get a collar and he never licked his incision. I guess it depends on the dog.
I would recommend getting the stitches out, lettting them know how you feel and then looking for a new vet.
This is totally off topic but you said your golden is 120 pounds. This is far too heavy for a golden and after he recovers from surgery please try and get his weight down. If you don't you put him at risk for many problems some that will shorten his life. Golden males should range in weight from 70-80 pounds even the big boned ones.

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 09:03 PM
By the way, I would fight about paying for the follow-up visits too. Why should you pay them to correct the mistakes made by their fellow vets? Doesn't make sense. The second vet's reputation is at equal risk of being damaged as the first for the cruddy job because they're part of the same clinic. :rolleyes:

doggy lover
August 24th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Is there one vet that owns the clinic or is in charge of the clinic, talk to them when making complaints. I would be on the market for another vet, I changed vets with my last dog when I was unhappy about his neuter and dewclaw removal, same kind of thing happened(no collar, infection and tore out the stiches). Where in Ont. are you someone here might know a good vet.

Shannon1215
August 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM
By the way, I would fight about paying for the follow-up visits too. Why should you pay them to correct the mistakes made by their fellow vets?
I agree. When my golden was spayed, the situation was much like the one described here. They sent her home with no collar a few hours after surgery (after originally telling me they were keeping her overnight). Then I noticed she was bleeding a bit, so I brought her back, but they shrugged off my concern quite rudely. Later, I noticed the incision site was bumpy and looked awful. My boyfriend took her back in, and they said it was infected and we had to put hot compresses on it four times a day. In this case, my boyfriend did question the fee, asking why we should have to pay when they had previously ignored our concerns, causing the dog to get worse. They did not make us pay.

sepangie
August 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I guess your vet may have had his reasons for not shaving the cyst area although I don't know what they could be. Was he shaved around his scrotum?
When I had my male neutered last year he was shaved. He did not get a collar and he never licked his incision. I guess it depends on the dog.
I would recommend getting the stitches out, lettting them know how you feel and then looking for a new vet.
This is totally off topic but you said your golden is 120 pounds. This is far too heavy for a golden and after he recovers from surgery please try and get his weight down. If you don't you put him at risk for many problems some that will shorten his life. Golden males should range in weight from 70-80 pounds even the big boned ones.

Thanks so much for responding to my concerns! To answer your question, yes he was shaved around his scrotum just not around the cyst. Your concern over Shadow's weight is very justified. We have been working with this issue for some time. He is monitored when eating and receives a
very expensive diet food only. He also gets to exercise 3 to 4 times a day to help with his weight. However since he has been so sore from the surgery we are not exercising him at this time.
Thanks again for responding.

sepangie
August 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Is there one vet that owns the clinic or is in charge of the clinic, talk to them when making complaints. I would be on the market for another vet, I changed vets with my last dog when I was unhappy about his neuter and dewclaw removal, same kind of thing happened(no collar, infection and tore out the stiches). Where in Ont. are you someone here might know a good vet.

Thank you for responding to my concerns. I currently reside in a small town about 1 hour from Ottawa Ontario.
By the way the vet who owns this clinic is the one who did the surgery and the lancing of the cyst. We have decided that once his stitches are removed this Saturday that we are definately changing vets.
Thanks again!

justncase
August 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I saw an interesting item on-line , the other day :

thebadveterinarianslist.com
IP: 69.11.61.31
Posted on August 2, 2005 at 01:02:24 PM by rj

http://www.thebadveterinarianslist.com/

Trinitie
August 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
The link is not valid. Online database, and searching the Internet, do not come up with hits for "http://www.thebadveterinarianslist.com/".

justncase
August 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM
That may be temporary. This is what came up when I clicked on it:

thebadveterinarianslist.com
IP: 69.11.61.31
Posted on August 2, 2005 at 01:02:24 PM by rj

http://www.thebadveterinarianslist.com/

The purpose of this group is to evaluate veterinarians, vet techs, vet hospitals and staff that have failed to live up to customer expectations. Your complaint can be anywhere from a minor incident to a horror story. Please don't be afraid to share. You are not here to hurt anyone. You are here to help others avoid the same experience you had. PLEASE PUT "ONLY" THE NAME OF THE VET OR VET HOSPITAL,ALONG WITH THE CITY AND STATE IN THE SUBJECT LINE. If you want your story posted but for your own reasons prefer your email address or name not be used, let the moderator know (link removed by Trinitie) and your story will be posted without your personal information. Anyone can post their story. Even non-members. Send it to link removed by Trinitie or if a member, send to: link removed by Trinitie . To read the current listings,go the left hand side of the group homepage, see "Group" and click on "What's New"! To subscribe to this group send a blank email to link removed by Trinitie. ***DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE. THE BAD VETERINARIAN LIST AND SMARTGROUPS.COM MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND REGARDING THE SUITABILITY OF THE SITE CONTENT, OR ANY PORTION THEREOF, FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALL SITE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ARE OPINIONS OF THE PARTIES WHO PROVIDE THE INFORMATION.THE BAD VETERINARIAN LIST AND SMARTGROUPS.COM ALSO EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION AS TO THE ACCURACY OR PROPRIETARY CHARACTER OF THE SITE CONTENT. YOU WAIVE AND COVENANT NOT TO ASSERT ANY CLAIMS OR ALLEGATIONS OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL CLAIMS AND ALLEGATIONS RELATING TO THE ALLEGED INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS, THE ALLEGED INACCURACY OF SITE CONTENT, OR ALLEGATIONS THAT THE BAD VETERINARIAN LIST OR SMARTGROUPS.COM SHOULD INDEMNIFY, DEFEND OR HOLD YOU HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIM OR ALLEGATION ARISING FROM YOUR USE OR OTHER EXPLOITATION OF THE SITE. YOU USE THE THE BAD VETERINARIAN LIST AND SMARTGROUPS.COM AT YOUR OWN RISK AND NEITHER THE BAD VETERINARIAN LIST OR SMARTGROUPS.COM NOR THE PARTIES WHO PROVIDE INFORMATION AND MATERIAL FOR PUBLICATION WITHIN THE SITE CONTENT SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY SORT ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SITE.

Trinitie
August 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM
A Google search for "bad veterinarian list" does not show this site.

Without proof of validity, I must ask you to remove the e-mail addresses in your post. Arin Database does not list anything more than registered in Regina under Sasktel for that address.

You may keep the link up, but remove the e-mail address please.

Perhaps my firewall is preventing the access of that site. I will attempt to verify it from another location later today.

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I found a link to bad vet... Here: http://www.suecollura.com/fun/cartoons/bad_vet.htm Hee hee hee :D

coppperbelle
August 25th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks so much for responding to my concerns! To answer your question, yes he was shaved around his scrotum just not around the cyst. Your concern over Shadow's weight is very justified. We have been working with this issue for some time. He is monitored when eating and receives a
very expensive diet food only. He also gets to exercise 3 to 4 times a day to help with his weight. However since he has been so sore from the surgery we are not exercising him at this time.
Thanks again for responding.

Being shaved around his scrotum is a good sign to me. AT least he wasn't doing a half a... surgery which I was concerned about since he did not shave the cyst area.

When your ready to work on the weight loss issue please post here for some advice and support.