Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog not eating, vets stumped.

KAPB2000
August 24th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I have a 5 yr. old beagle who has been sick for about 3 months now. She started with no energy. Got to the point where she wouldn't come out of her dog house at all. Then quit eating. Blood work and exam were normal. Vet treated her for a tick born illness, after 3 weeks on medication no real improvement. Vet then treated for blastomycosis (inhaled fungus). (x-ray of chest was normal). Her first week on the medication she did perk up and start eating, then a few days later she went back to not eating again. So we went back to the vet again. He drew more blood, which was normal. He and another vet reviewed blood work and xrays again, found nothing. Checked stool sample, fine. Did a full body exam, nothing unusual. Vet said to try giving her antacids to see if the not eating is caused by an upset stomach. So that is what we are trying now. I thought I would write to see if anyone else has an idea, or has dealt with anything like this before.
Thanks,
KAPB2000

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM
What food is she on? Does she appear to have a selective appetite or no appetite whatsoever?

KAPB2000
August 24th, 2005, 07:15 PM
She will not eat anything. No scraps, no type of dog food. The only thing she is surving on is puppy formula I squirt in her throat with a dropper, and peanut butter I swipe on the roof of her mouth. She really smells any food that I give her and sometimes puts it in her mouth, but will not eat it.

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 07:18 PM
wow. What about cat food? I don't know any doggy who won't nibble on cat food... That's really bizarre. Like she doesn't have a will to survive. This must be terrible for you. :sorry:

KAPB2000
August 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Which do dogs seem to like better canned or dry? This is so weird, and draining! She has seemed to have kept up a little more energy since being on this latest medicine. We also have realized that she needs to be inside in the airconditioning during the humid daytime. The humidity and heat really take it out of her.

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Canned is definitely tastier.

If you have good dog food stores near you, look at merrick canned dog food:
Merrick canned dog food (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_dog_food.php)
The Campfire Trout Feast, Wilderness Blend and Venison Holiday Stew are the best according to my doggies. ;) Their canned cat foods are FULL of fish and fish smells great to doggies... Maybe try the fishiest can... :confused:

mastifflover
August 24th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Maybe you could try taking your dog to another vet or I have found the veterinary schools are really excellent with rare problems. I hope you find someone to help out. I am not dissing your vet but another one may have seen this before. Good luck

coppperbelle
August 24th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I will assume that your vets checked out her teeth. A sore tooth can be very painful. Has there been any lawn spraying or could she have eaten something?
Do you have a teaching veterinary school in your area? Either this or a second opinion might be a good idea.
It must be horrible to watch her like this. I hope you find the root to the problem.

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Is she spayed?....With that question being put aside ask your vet for a Winstrol V injection. If an animals health is in question from no appetite and they are befuddled I would give a one shot hail mary dose of Winstrol V.

Only after trying other options like another vet or vet teaching hospital. This can be costly.

Winstrol V is a controled steroid...the one athletes abused in the 80's to alter their true preformance and is now illegal or controlled. The good properties of this drug is appetite and energy. There are also natural remedies that enhance the same but it sounds like you are already past that, try on a new opinion to be sure please...

KAPB2000
August 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM
As far as eating something to cause the problem, I don't think so. She has been on antibiotics for the past 6 weeks to try and clear up anything that could be causing her illness. No spraying of the yard has been done. She has not been spayed. What are you thinking about along those lines? At this time the vets have not offered the Winstrol v injection. I did have a dog on that a few years ago for kidney failure. Helped for a little while, but we knew it was not a cure for him. She is to go back to the vet next week, so we will see what they say then, and how she is acting.

doggy lover
August 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Try the canned food, most dogs love it, its worth a try. I was thinking her teeth or something in her throat, liver, there could be so many things. I would try another vet and get a second opinion, anything is worth a try.

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I think the priority right now is getting her to eat something, right? I think most anorexic people will tell you that to start eating is hard, but after a while of eating things you really like, you get your hunger back. ;)

justncase
August 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM
At risk of repeating myself, have you asked your vet to prescribe Cyproheptadine? It's a safe appetite stimulant and has worked in many cases.