Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens Immune Systems

merkel
August 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Hi There,
The kitten I have chosen from a litter (That’s not ready to go for another 4 weeks) it got gooey eyes for a week along with 1 other sibling. They have now cleared up and sight is unaffected.
Question is: Would I be better to get one of the kittens that weren’t affected?
i.e. - Would the unaffected kittens have stronger immune systems?
Thanks for your help.

Lucky Rescue
August 24th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Sometimes even healthy kittens get eye infections around the time the eyes start to open.

A lot depends on how the mother is being cared for and what caused the "gooey" eyes.

Has the mother been to the vet and checked out for any disease she might be carrying? Is this a purebred cat with from a reputable breeder?
Or is this just a cat whose owners didn't bother spaying her, let her get out and she had a litter?

merkel
August 24th, 2005, 06:51 PM
The kitten is from an experienced breeder who had to breed her pet female Ocicat with her pet Birman (Both Purebreds) as she was on heat and couldn’t find an Ocicat stud. I assume the mother has had checkups, I should ask.
This is the web page for the breeder:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~petrie/4%20Sale.htm#

merkel
August 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
The Breeder got back to me and said this:
" I talked to my vet and he said they should be ok, probably just carry the
bug, but that's only a problem if you breed. It seems mum carries it, and
apart from getting sick with her kittens, she's normally fine and healthy.
So they should be ok. They had the crusty eyes for about 10days i think "

Please let me know if anyone diagrees with this.
Cheers.
Kelly

Lucky Rescue
August 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
This is not a responsible breeder. No reputable breeder would EVER mix two breeds of cats, just because her female is in heat. She would wait for a suitable stud, one who has been shown to a championship and health tested, as her queens should be.

I hope she isn't charging you the price of a purebred cat, because the kitten you will be getting is no different or more valuable than any tabby you could get from the shelter for 50$ and will have no registration papers.

I talked to my vet and he said they should be ok, probably just carry the bug

What "bug" is she talking about? There are many things cats can carry, ranging from harmless to fatal.

merkel
August 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
She said she had to breed it with the Birman, as they can get infections if they don’t breed when on heat, and she was ‘calling’ a lot.
There was a big stuff up on the Ocicat stud owners behalf, and they couldn’t mate.

They are $190 inc de-sexing and vaccinations. I like the look of them as they look a lot like purebred Ocicats that cost around $800.

Kittens from shelters in Australia cost around $100

Lucky Rescue
August 24th, 2005, 08:56 PM
They are $190 inc de-sexing and vaccinations

I'm so glad to see she's at least making sure they are spayed/neutered!

I would still want to know what "bug" the queen is carrying and passing on to offspring.

She said she had to breed it with the Birman, as they can get infections if they don’t breed when on heat, and she was ‘calling’ a lot

Queens are in heat off and on, more or less all the time until they are bred or spayed. "Calling" is normal and something breeders have to put up with. Reputable breeders cope with this, do not breed on every heat, and would never breed their purebred queens with any breed of male who is handy.

Breeding should only be done to improve the breed. or when the breeder needs a new cat for showing, and litters of mixed breeds can do neither.

Breeding to create pets to make money is not considered to be ethical, since millions of beautiful and cats and kittens are being killed for lack of homes.

I"m sure the kittens are very beautiful. All kittens are.:)

CyberKitten
August 25th, 2005, 12:36 PM
This is a quick post - it has been so busy of late and I do not have time (and still find it somewhat stressful for me here but that ia another story) - but it sounds as tho this breeder is a byb, sigh!! I'd be extremely cautious in purchasing a kitten from her. I am sure the kittens are cute but you cannot register them - there is no known recognized breed unless heaven forbid she is going to call them ocibirms or something!! :sad:

Please make sure the kitten you buy from her is healthy and also get in writing the genetic and healh background of the parents and their registration and pedigree. Lucky is correct. No responsible breeder would do this and she is decieving you in suggesting she had to breed them now. That is simply not true and either she deliberately is leading you on or is not knowledagble about it herself. Either issue is problematic for anyone who takes a chance in buying one of her kitties. No Queen gets infections simply because she is in heat tho she does suffer!!

I would not pay that price for them either since they are cannot be registered. Tho, I can see her charging for the money she has invested in the health care of her Queen, health and genetic checks for the stud and care of the kittens. Make sure the kittens leave their mom only after 12 weeks. You can find Ocicats in rescue groups for $100 or less in North America as well. And they are the real thing tho of course you may not get the registration papers et al. But it sounds as tho you do not plan to show her and just want a cute pet so that may not matter.

The halth of the kitten is extremely important! Make sure you get the genetic background!!!!

I paid megabucks for my YY but I purchased a show quality kitten - not intetionally, she was just the one I fell in love with! :) I would have gladly adopted a Siamese in a Rescue - YY just happened to fall across my path!

merkel
August 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Hi all, thanks for the advice:

The Breeder said the bug was herpes. She said “It seems mum carries it, and
apart from getting sick with her kittens, she's normally fine and healthy”

Would the whole litter have got the virus off mum? Or would it have only been the two that showed the symptoms? (Gooey eyes for 10 days)

I’m not at all interested in registering the kitten; it’s simply for a pet and not for show. Ocicats are rare and expensive in Australia.
Abandoned kittens from the shelters cost $100, I was going to get one from the shelter but there were none there, which is a good thing I suppose.

badger
August 29th, 2005, 06:28 AM
You may want to steer clear of a kitten that has been diagnosed with herpes. I have a cat - originally a stray - with herpes and he had an infected eye earlier this year. Antibiotics sometimes help with secondary infections but the herpes just has to run its course.

My cat suffered for weeks, you could hardly see his eyeball, the eye was so swollen and crusty, and it eventually spread down his nose. I started using something called lysine, which is not curative but boosts the immune system, it's a kind of gel that you put in their food. When he finally got better, it was impossible to know if it was the lysine or not. My vet suggested I give my cat lysine for the rest of his life. The veterinary brand is expensive, although you can also get it in pills (it's a natural substance) and those are fairly cheap. I give it to him only on and off, and watch his eyes closely for outbreaks.

This is not to say that the kitten will have future outbreaks but odds are he will.

Here's a quote from a vet on another website:

'The most likely problem in your cat, by far, is a chronic herpes virus infection. Rhinotracheitis virus of cats is a herpes virus. It is the most common cause of persistent conjunctivitis in cats. It is probably not possible to cure this problem and keep it from recurring. Many cats seem to be more comfortable if their eyes are treated with an antibiotic eye drop to relieve infection with secondary bacterial invaders but eye drops do not cure the viral problem. Recently, it has been suggested that the administration of l-lysine may be beneficial in control and prevention of herpes virus flare-ups. I attended a seminar recently in which Dr. Nasisse of the University of Missouri veterinary school suggested this. You might want to discuss this option with your vet'.

So keep this in mind, particularly if you're planning on paying out big bucks for this kitten.

Good luck!

merkel
August 29th, 2005, 10:35 PM
But will ALL the kittens have the virus? Seeing they caught it off mum?
Should I pick a kitten that didn’t show symptoms of the virus?