Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy doing #2 in crate

buffytwin
August 24th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Hi there, I'm new to this site. I just brought home a 8 week old boxer on the weekend. He's been such a good boy so far, but we're just having 1 problem with him. During the day my husband and I are at work from 9 to 5. We have a family member going in once in the morning and once in the afternoon to check on him and she stays a while to let him out and play a while and get out of the crate for a while. We feed him when we wake up in the morning approx 6am, and take him out a few times before we leave at approx 7am. We put him in his crate and we are finding that he keeps pooping in it. He's in there at 7am and our friend lets him out at 10am, but every time he's pooped. He has never peed in it, and once in a while he'll poop again in the afternoon. Infact not to be too detailed but he seems to poop a lot, he does it about 3 more times in the evening! We feed him according to our vet, 3/4 cup of techni-cal puppy food, once in the am, and once when we're home from work. We have divided his crate off, so he only has enough room to turn around in it. He has a chew toy in there (puppy kong) and a blanket to keep him cozy and thats it. He has never made any mess at night time, only during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can do, or do I have to wait it out and just hope he stops? I'm doing everything I can think of. Also his poop is completely normal, so he's not sick, and he had his check up 2 days ago at the vet with a clean bill of health... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much:)

jessi76
August 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Have you tried taking him out more often? a 2 month old pup = 2 hrs in the crate.

Congrats on the new pup, and welcome to the board!

buffytwin
August 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately we can't really take him out anymore then we are now. She's been taking him out every 3 hours. Same thing we do at night and he's been fine at night. And thank you for the welcome:)

jessi76
August 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
It's hard to manage a puppy and a work schedule, that's for sure.

what about feeding him earlier than 6am? I mean, if you feed him at 6 and leave at 7, maybe it's not long enough for him to process it - maybe try a 1/2 hr earlier? or an hour earlier? Just a suggestion. also, in the Training section, there is a thread "dog pees in crate" - perhaps some suggestions or advice there would be helpful.

btw, we love pics here... especially of puppies.. hint, hint... ;)

Bearsmom
August 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Welcome, buffytwin, from someone just south of you....

I would go with feeding him earlier, or feed him later at night, then have your friend feed him when she comes in. Or, what about a petsitter?

buffytwin
August 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Thank you, appreciate the help! Oh I have pictures, haha! I have hundreds already, lol... I don't know how to attach anymore then one, so here's one:)

jessi76
August 24th, 2005, 04:20 PM
OMG, I'd find it very hard to leave at 7am everyday with that little guy in the house... precious!

Jackie467
August 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
He is so cute. Just beautiful. Does he display any other behaviors while no one is there?

My dog has seperation anxiety and if I leave her in a crate she will mess it and scream and cry, no matter when she went before I put her in. It caused a lot of problems because she was getting skin infections from laying in it. Unfortunetly I don't really know how to fix it. I never did, she is now able to be left alone for short periods of time as long as she is not in the crate. I usually leave her in the bathroom so any messes she may make are easy to clean up, but lately she hasn't made any messes at all. but I have it good because she is only alone for about 3 hours while I'm in class and then I bring her to the office with me.

I hope you can get things worked out. I know how frustrating it is.

buffytwin
August 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Thank you, and yes its very hard to leave him, he's the cutest thing I've ever seen! He's a wonderful puppy, he's been such a good boy other then this. He's been a quick learner and goes outside when were at home, hardly any accidents. We haven't noticed anything else at all. He doesn't get any poop on him actually, he manages to not touch it, and our friend comes in not too much longer after he must do it I think. We will try feeding him a bit earlier in hopes that he can go before we leave for work. Or she will just come earlier, and try to catch him before he has to go. I'm willing to try what I can, just wondered what everyone elses opions were and I appreciate them all, thank you:) Also he's quiet when she comes to see him and when we get home, so unless he cries inbetween which we'd have no way of knowing, he seems to be okay...

nymph
August 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
OMG he's adorable! :crazy:

It's all part of having a puppy at home, and juggling work and a new puppy is NOT easy! Both my husband and I work full time, so I know exactly what you are going through.

Dont' be too hard on your pup, he's still a baby, and it's expected of him to poop/pee anytime. Put him on a fixed feeding schedule helps A LOT, and make sure to thoroughly clean the crate after each soil accident. I used to wipe the crate with diluted javex water several times a day.

Anyway, congrats on your new pup, and enjoy every moment of puppyhood as it will be gone before you even know it!