Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

final rental inspections

jackieb
August 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM
My lease is up on the 31st of August and they are comming on that day to do a final inspection the owner and the property rental company!

What happens what do they inspect just what does general wear and tear allowed mean! I didnt give a deposit so they have no money to withhold i asked her if they had a problem what would happen. She said they would ask us to fix it if we refused then it would go to court if neccesary

There were always a few things wrong with the house im having the bedroom carpets cleaned ive watched all the curtains

What else do you think i should do?

mastifflover
August 24th, 2005, 01:07 PM
They are usually looking for major damage. They cannot charge you to fix normal wear and tear. Don't worry about it they do this just to make sure you have not destroyed the place. Good luck with your move.

Dogastrophe
August 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
General wear and tear tends to be considered the natural wear of an item given its intended use. For example, carpet along a hall or in an entry way will, over time, get beaten down, get dirty, wear, etc more so than the carpet under your couch. This would normally be normal w&t; however, if you carpet is full of ketchup stains and muddy boot prints, the owner could reasonably say that it is not normal. Another example would be nail holes in walls that were holding up pictures is normal whereas if you dog ate a hole in the wall that is your responsibility.

Basically, if you didn't willfully and or neglectfully damage anything, you shouldn't have too many worries.

Back in my rental days, I always took before and after pictures as well as noted anything that was broke, scratched, etc and provided the list to the owner / super. That way when I vacated the unit, if they pointed out that there is a big gouge in the counter top I would be able to pull out the original listing and picture showing that it wasn't my problem.

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I agree, take pictures of everything before and after.