Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Napoleon Dynamite's Favorite Animal

Roxy's_MA
August 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM
A pair of cubs,born to a lion and a female tiger, drink milk at a wildlife park in Haikou, China’s Hainan province, on Tuesday. The twin “ligers” were born May 2, and the park's staff expect the pair will be on public display beginning Oct. 1.

We have all heard of Designer dog breeds, what about designer big cat breeds. I though a Liger was some fantasy of Napoleons, I guess I was wrong!

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
BOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! That's all I have to say. :(

happycats
August 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I have seen this "mix" before, I have also seen a zebra mixed with a donkey!
When the H*LL aer humans going to stop interfering with mother nature? :sad:

Jackie467
August 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I agree we shouldn't interfere, but there was another case I read about where the tigers and the lions were housed together because they never imagined that they would interbreed. but a female tiger gave birth to a liger, after that the tigers and lions were seperated.

Schwinn
August 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
How about a cat crossed with a dog?

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 06:06 PM
How about a cat crossed with a dog?

Genetically impossible....crossing these two species would be like human/canine.

When I worked for the county animal contol years ago we did have a problem with one lady who had 2 tiglons...female tiger bred to male lion. She just had a problem controling them in her later years. This was before strict state rules took place.

Playing with the gene bank is an issue I will sit on the fence with. I do not like much about what is happening but I also remember where my beloved dog..(s) came from...they did not just happen...thanks to the wolves and our predecessors long before we graced this chunk of dirt....we have them now. Who are we to argue evolution.....

Schwinn
August 25th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Genetically impossible....crossing these two species would be like human/canine.

I was joking...Cat-Dog is a cartoon.

Zues is my baby
August 25th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Well what about Pixi Bobs they are now a domestic animal and they were once Bobcats, that were mixed with a barn cat. Now you get miniture bobcats. This change happened naturally too, people didn't force this like most mixed breeds. Do you think this is wrong. I also have a Pixibob and they have to be the most alert, intelligent cats I have ever come across.

Karin
August 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I was joking...Cat-Dog is a cartoon.

Goes to show how much I watch cartoons.

The whole idea of clinically altering the natural is scarey to me. Like cloning.

I can see the good properties of cloning but it would never stop at that. I would never want "another" me.

Besides, the old fashion way of reproduction is way more fun! *snicker*

Prin
August 26th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I would never want another Boo. Even my beloved dobie that I grew up with. Part of living is dying, and is memories. That's what makes life sweet. The uncertainty, the mortality, and the heartbreak. Without it how do you know you are alive? The more tragedy, the more the little things mean.

Lucky for us, humans are not perfect and the cloning only goes as far as our intelligence takes it, which, right now, leaves it full of holes, errors and questions. ;)

Schwinn
August 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Cloning, right now, isn't like in the movies. You aren't making a perfect copy of another living thing. That's what I find ridiculous about the people who want to clone thier pets. You aren't getting another Fluffy. You are basically getting the same thing if Fluffy's parents were to have another cat or dog. It will have a new personality with new quirks. It'll just look the same, like a twin.