Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Spraying

T-Rex
August 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have 2 indoor cats. Oliver is 8 years old and neutered. T-Rex is 3 years old and also neutered. T-Rex is the dominant one. I am also "cat sitting" for my sister. She has an 18 year old spayed outdoor cat - Frankie. Frankie stays in my garage and also goes outside. She's been with us for many months now. (Sister is taking her time moving but that's another story) My husband took my son's dresser out into the garage to refinish it. It's been out there for about a month. Frankie walks around it and rubs by it. My husband brought in the mirror part of it yesterday and sat it on the floor in our living room. T-Rex went over and for the first time ever, sprayed - on the mirror. I figured he smelled Frankie. We cleaned it all up. Today we brought in the dresser after my husband wiped it all down - but not sure what he used, didn't ask. T-Rex peed on the floor in front of the dresser. I just finished spraying the whole dresser with Odo Ban. My question is: will T-Rex continue this? I'm afraid I'll never be able to fully get rid of the Frankie smell. Do I need to keep the door closed to my son's room forever or get rid of the dresser? Thank you.

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I have 2 indoor cats. Oliver is 8 years old and neutered. T-Rex is 3 years old and also neutered. T-Rex is the dominant one. I am also "cat sitting" for my sister. She has an 18 year old spayed outdoor cat - Frankie. Frankie stays in my garage and also goes outside. She's been with us for many months now. (Sister is taking her time moving but that's another story) My husband took my son's dresser out into the garage to refinish it. It's been out there for about a month. Frankie walks around it and rubs by it. My husband brought in the mirror part of it yesterday and sat it on the floor in our living room. T-Rex went over and for the first time ever, sprayed - on the mirror. I figured he smelled Frankie. We cleaned it all up. Today we brought in the dresser after my husband wiped it all down - but not sure what he used, didn't ask. T-Rex peed on the floor in front of the dresser. I just finished spraying the whole dresser with Odo Ban. My question is: will T-Rex continue this? I'm afraid I'll never be able to fully get rid of the Frankie smell. Do I need to keep the door closed to my son's room forever or get rid of the dresser? Thank you.

My first guess leans towards the invasion scent of the new cat...T-Rex could have an issue with this. I love Odo Ban, many clinics & kennels use this product, it was designed for this purpose but it will not kill the scent the keen smelling cat. Use vinegar to erase any residual scents of the visiting cat.
Second.....behavior changes..i.e. spraying from a neutered male...please rule out cystitis and/or uti infections. Cats have a way of telling you something is wrong. Had you not posted you were "snout sitting" another cat, this would have been my first guess.

T-Rex
August 25th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I'll try the vinegar. It's time for T-Rex's vet check too.