Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

infected tail

tootz4317
August 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
:evil: i recently bought a mini schnauzer ( i'm a 1st time doggy mom) and her tail was proffessionally clipped though in the last couple of days it looks as thought i may be getting infected...what can i do besides taking her to the vet...is there something that can be purchased over the counter...thanks

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Tails should be docked within the first couple of days after birth. When was this pups tail done.

tootz4317
August 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure...i bought her like that

Trinitie
August 24th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Tail docking is done solely for esthetic purposes, and does nothing for the dog. Prime case in point: The Austrailian Cattle Dog usually has a docked tail. However, the dog needs the tail for hairpin turns when herding cattle. In this case, as with others, the tail is docked because the humans think it looks better. Such is usually the case with Dobies, and Rotties. This was just an FYI.

If your dog's tail was docked by someone who's never done it before, or didn't have the most sterile of operating rooms, the chances of infection are quite high. Should it be infected, it must be seen by a qualified vet. If infected, the infection could spread to the bone. If this were to happen, the chances of excrutiating pain and possible crippling complications, grow substantially.

Please bring your dog to a vet immediately to have antibiotics started. Post back with the vet results as we are hoping this concludes with good news.

Beaglemom
August 24th, 2005, 10:19 AM
First, welcome to the board and congratulations on your new family addition! Please do post pictures.

You will have to take your pup to the vet. Who knows how long this infection has been there. What Stacey said is true, pups have their tails docked within the first day or two of birth. She may need antibiotics to clear up the infection. The vet can also clean out the infection site once you take her in. Has she been licking or biting her tail? How old is she?

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Normally this would have been well healed by the time you got your puppy. Has your puppy been chewing/licking this area. Since you don't know how long it has been infected I would not try to treat it on your own. Your puppy should be due to see a vet anyway.

tootz4317
August 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM
well for now i rubbed triple antibiotic ointment on it and covered it so it doesn't rub off. i have noticed her try to mess with her tail but not constantly. but i will take her to get looked at thanks for the help :crazy:

Beaglemom
August 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Careful with using human medication on dogs. They can be very poisonous to them if ingested. I would make an appointment to see a vet today to get this looked at, cleaned properly and get the right meds for it. The vet may give you oral antibiotics not topical since dogs tend to lick medication off.

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Be careful with what you put on a dog, some products can be very dangerous. How old is your puppy?

tootz4317
August 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM
i brought her home saturday and it did not look the way it did yesterday. i think of anything that could have triggered it

tootz4317
August 24th, 2005, 10:56 AM
i believe she is 6 weeks

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Oh, that is very young. Keep her away from everything. Had she been vet checked yet. Where did you get her from?

tootz4317
August 24th, 2005, 11:14 AM
no she has not been vet checked thought i had planned to take her this weekend...i bought her off a breeder

Trinitie
August 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM
6 weeks old is far too young for you to have been able to bring her home. She should have stayed with her litter for at least 2 more weeks.
Once you have her tail looked after, and she has her first 2 sets of shots, get her enrolled in puppy school. The interaction with other young dogs will teach her skills that she normally would have learned with her litter mates.

Please let us know what the vet says about her tail.

nymph
August 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM
The vet should be able to suggest a treatment for you. She should be examined by a vet anyway, and start a vaccination schedule. The first thing we did when we brought back our pup Diego was to bring him to the vet.

An e-collar could be used to prevent the pup from licking the infected area. Poor pup, she must be in a lot of pain now. Hope she'd feel better soon. :angel:

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Your puppy should see a vet asap for first vaccinations. Since you got your pup so young you will probably have to have 4 sets instead of three. A puppy doesn't start to build their own immunities until they are 10 wks. They get this from their mother as long as they are still nursing, even once a day. The recommended age to take a puppy from its mother is 8 wks. From 5-8 wks as your puppy was weaning it would have learned social skills from mom and siblings. Your puppy has lost this important time and has no form of protection. Seeing as it also has an infection, this isn't good. You should make an appointment right away and keep your puppy away from everything, including friends, family and other animals.

tootz4317
August 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM
well her breeder said she had her 1st set of shots already, she may be a little bit older

tootz4317
August 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Well I couldn't take time off for the vet, but I did take her to the pet store and the manager recommended animal iodine, I've been treating it for a couple of days and her spirits and mood seem better, so I think she doing great though i am still taking her to get checked by the vet this weekend, thanks for the help and i will keep y'all posted. :pawprint: