Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do young puppies bark much?

puppy4ever
August 24th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere. My guy hardly ever barks...actually the only time I've heard him is when he is playing. The first time I swept with the broom it is was a growl/bark/attack. Otherwise he is totally silent. Is that typical?

Dogastrophe
August 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Really all depends on the puppy. My little guy (8 mos silky terrier x) barks quite a bit while my sister's 8 mos malamute x rarely ever barks.

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Yes, just don't promote it.

jessi76
August 24th, 2005, 10:20 AM
they find their voice. We got our pup, Tucker, at 8 wks. Not a peep out of him, then one day, as we're eating dinner, we hear this very strange noise coming from the livingroom (where he was crated). It sounded like an infant cry (and we don't have kids). I dropped my fork it was so freaky.... and it was Tucker. He's a basenji mix, and I'd never before in my life heard a Basenji cry.

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Many can be as quiet as can be then all of a sudden they do find their voice. Many do this 8-9 months old. The best way to control barking is to socialize your puppy with everything possible. Any time a bark appears correct it right away. A couple barks when someone comes to the door is fine but excessive is not. Choose a word such as enough or quiet to use if you need to work on this. Every sound your dog makes is for a reason. It is never for nothing. The more socializing/training you do the less chance this will become an issue. Many people think it is cute to see a puppy barking but then get anoyed when this puppy barks as an adult.

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Is your question "Is it normal for a dog to attack a broom?" or did your dog start barking at everything since the incident with the broom? If it's just at the broom, all I have to say is, well, yeah- of course he had to attack the broom. Don't you know how evil they are?? They all must die! (According to my Jemma) :D

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Is your question "Is it normal for a dog to attack a broom?" or did your dog start barking at everything since the incident with the broom? If it's just at the broom, all I have to say is, well, yeah- of course he had to attack the broom. Don't you know how evil they are?? They all must die! (According to my Jemma) :D

Ciara believes the "evil suck machine" will suck out her brains through her paws, she's such a big, brave Rotti.She has come to my rescue in the past and I am forever grateful, but I find it strange to think that if a criminal was going to enter my home with ill intent...arming themselves with a vaccuum cleaner would get them further than a gun would. Come in here with a gun and Ciara would kill you, bring an evil suck machine and take what you want.

Ciara is not much of a barker but she's been raising hell all day..so have many other dogs here ....they sense bad weather coming.

puppy4ever
August 24th, 2005, 07:09 PM
LOL! I guess my puppy is normal in his fear of the dreaded vacuum and broom. Hehe. Have to admit it was pretty funny watching him with the broom! Although it was difficult, I held back my laughter. With the vacuum he bolts so fast!

He hasn't been barking much at all and I'm not complaining!! I just wonder if it's because he is not quite himself with me yet. We had a fun day yesterday but he seems pretty bored with me and his toys today and has been sleeping alot.

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Young puppies tend to sleep a lot especially if they had a busy day. Enjoy it while you can.