Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Insurance and credit

raingirl
August 24th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Grr. I am so stressed today. I spent all day yesterday following up on quotes for insurance I got, and everyone (brokers, etc) took detailed info, and said they would call me back. I said it was urgent, as we wanted/needed to pick up the car today. No one got back to me. Most places won't consider us unless we find out the EXACT DATE we were taken off as listed drivers from our parent's policies, and the last policy we were listed on. We asked both our parents, and neither know, nor do we. Both our parents have been with a couple companies since and have no idea who it was under! My parents insured me forever, but I never paid for it or saw a policy, so I have no idea. They think they took me off last year, but aren't sure. BF's parents have no idea when. could have been last year, could have been 10 years ago. They actually thought he was still listed!

Also, we are having problems with our credit applications again. They misread my pay stub and now are on the line with our payroll department and confusing the heck out of her (she is in her late 60's). We already got turned down once for credit, and they may turn down this one.

I am so depressed and stressed and nauseous. I just want the whole thing overwith.

Bearsmom
August 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Aw, raingirl, that stinks.

Who's doing the credit? Is it through a bank or the dealership? Positive thought: most dealerships just want to ensure that you'll make the payments. With two incomes, you should be fine. Don't make yourself sick over this, I hate to say it, but it's just a car.

Would either of your parents consider having the vehicle covered under their policies initially then you could switch to being primary owner/driver?

raingirl
August 24th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Well, credit got worked out. Had to use my line of credit to put a downpayment, but at least they are around the same % so I don't mind.

Insurance is still getting me down. It's not so much that we are having problems getting a good rate. We got a couple good quotes, but the brokers are so busy they aren't getting back to me! That's what's bothering me. THe one that had the cheapest quote is the one I'm waiting for ($129/month). She asked for more info yesterday morning, and hasn't got back to me. I already left her two messages today. And it's not like she's sick (I asked reception and she is there). I also told her it was urgent, even if we only get a temporary binder until the weekend, just so we can move the car to my parking lot at my building, then work out all details this weekend (although, most brokers aren't open on weekends). My mother needs her old car back on Sunday because someone wants to buy it, so I need a car to move it there. I also need a car for Friday for something work related. Grr...I'm going to call again now.

Bearsmom
August 24th, 2005, 03:13 PM
It might be too late in the day, but ask the receptionist to fax a temporary binder to the vehicle seller. At least there's something there. Other than that, stalk the adjuster until she answers the phone. hehehe

raingirl
August 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM
We finally got a hold of the broker this morning and she hasn't even STARTED our application process. She said it would take at minimum 48 hours from when she starts it (which may not be today) and they we would have to go to her office some time before 4:30 PM on a weekday to sign all the forms, which neither of us can do since neither of us are able to take any time off work (plus, she's in burlington, which is an hour drive that my old car won't be able to do).

We are so mad right now. We were counting on her, and I told her two days ago it was urgent.

Do you always have to go in and sign stuff? Or can you do it by fax/mail, as neither of us is able to take time off to do it.

happycats
August 25th, 2005, 08:17 AM
We finally got a hold of the broker this morning and she hasn't even STARTED our application process. She said it would take at minimum 48 hours from when she starts it (which may not be today) and they we would have to go to her office some time before 4:30 PM on a weekday to sign all the forms, which neither of us can do since neither of us are able to take any time off work (plus, she's in burlington, which is an hour drive that my old car won't be able to do).

We are so mad right now. We were counting on her, and I told her two days ago it was urgent.

Do you always have to go in and sign stuff? Or can you do it by fax/mail, as neither of us is able to take time off to do it.

My insurance broker is amazing!!!! one phone call with a VIN# got me coverage immediately!! I have never waited that long!! and yes I did have to go in and sign stuff (at my leisure, and at a time that was convenient for me) and I had temp coverage until I was ableto go in and sign.
If you lived closer I would give you his # :) he is in Whitby.

Lizzie
August 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I'd find a new person to help you. If you call the insurance company directly they can set you up in a matter of minutes. Not hours, not days.

Yes, you typically have to go in to sign if you don't have a prexisting relationship with the insurance people. However, they may allow you to use a faxed copy for a few days until you can make it in.

I would suggest finding someone close by so that you can just pop out at lunch to sign and be on your way.

This broker you are dealing with doesn't sound very good. I'd cancel that and do it on my own if it were me. She clearly won't have your insurance done by the weekend...that's enough for me to up and take my business.

raingirl
August 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Happycats, you broker is in whitby? Are they open on weekends? I have to be in Pickering on Sunday, if they were I might consider going with them!

Bearsmom
August 25th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I'd find a new person to help you. If you call the insurance company directly they can set you up in a matter of minutes. Not hours, not days.

Yes, you typically have to go in to sign if you don't have a prexisting relationship with the insurance people. However, they may allow you to use a faxed copy for a few days until you can make it in.

I would suggest finding someone close by so that you can just pop out at lunch to sign and be on your way.

This broker you are dealing with doesn't sound very good. I'd cancel that and do it on my own if it were me. She clearly won't have your insurance done by the weekend...that's enough for me to up and take my business.

I was thinking the same thing. How come you need a broker, raingirl? Did you try calling insurance companies directly? They can usually do it over the phone in a matter of minutes, then usually just mail stuff for you to sign.

I'd dump this one.

Lucky Rescue
August 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM
All I did when looking for a new ins. company was go to www.kanetix.ca, put in all my info, and called Kanetix, and they forwarded my call to the company that gave the best quotes.

Did it over the phone, paid with a credit card number and it was done in minutes!