Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you eat enough veggies?

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
I have to keep track of what I eat for a couple of weeks and I noticed that I don't eat nearly enough fruits nor veg nor do I drink enough water...

I was wondering, they say 5-10 fruits and veggies a day, right? How many of you eat that many?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
I drink alot of water. I need it all day to talk on the phones. Definatley not enough fruits and or veggies for me. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 11:05 PM
LOL Was that "Thanks for reminding me :) " or "Thanks for reminding me :p " LOL

melanie
August 23rd, 2005, 11:40 PM
nah i didnt want to hit the vegetarian chioce, it does not reflect how many fruit and veg i eat in a day, hey there are some pretty unhealty vegos out there....

i eat at least 10 serves of fruit and veg a day, often up to 15. im the queen of fibre, protien and vitamins, im the leafy green queen mmmmmm luv em. i love veg and fruit, i jsut think their the greatest foods, so fresh, so ligtht and so much can be done with them (ohhh a nice bit of broccoli with white sause and cracked pepper, oh gosh im salivating) :D

they have started a new campaign here abotu healthy eating, our nation is getting fat and their trying to address general health. its called the two and five system. they say that at a minimum for a healthy system you need 2 serves of fruit and 5 of veg a day, now dont freak a serve is not much really.

basically if you eat an apple and a banana durign the day, and have 5 veg type products, thats easy, that could be the tomato and lettuce on your sandwich, and the 3 veg you have on your plate at night. so that could be 3 florrets of broccoli, 2 florets of cauli, potato, peas, gosh anything.... corn, beans it goes on and on and on. you jsut need to eat 5 of those things in a day, and a serve is not a cup full, its a reasonalbe spoon full or several florets.

i dont know about you but traditionally in australia a complete nighlty meal has always involved 3 veg at least. and the more color the better for you.

eg 3 florets of broccoli provides your daily intake of fibre, adds heaps of iron and lots of other goodies. its so easy to eat veg, and so good for you, its not hard and will extend your life and health endlessly.

food is not jsut for fancy and taste, it is truly fule for your bods. would you go and put toilet water in your car tank for fuel? nah i wouldnt, i would use good fuel, and that goes for me bod too...

oh go and get a mango, oh and a pineapple, oh and some peaches and other stone fruit, honestly i can make myself sick eating fruit in summer, i eat wayyyyyy to many plums, green grapes and cherries, stone fruit you name it...ah slaivating again

summer has the best fruits :D

now eat up prin, your life length and quality depends on it really. :D :p

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Mango, I eat!! But not too many apples... I can't imagine eating 15 veggies and fruits... Not enough hours in the day!! :D

melanie
August 24th, 2005, 12:24 AM
2 fruit and 5 veg should be the daily minimum for anyone, adult and child so thats not to hard to do...

and you wuld be surprised how fast you can ahve 15, a nice salad for lunch can contain many, for me its about 6. then for dinner i have at least 5 so thats pretty easy to acheive if you think about it miss.....

and there is alot of fruit out there, not jsut apples... try a star fruit for a change, interesting, tasty and a fantastic new experience hey and its healthy... :D and the miriad of stone fruits outthere, i could jsut eat forever.....

get creative missy :D .

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I suppose I have to be more adventurous.. I mean there are so many fruits I haven't tasted... Like Litchis?

jessi76
August 24th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I do make an effort to eat 3-5 a day....strawberries or bannana in cereal or yogurt, mandarin oranges on a salad, apple & cheese sandwiches, carrots or celery w/ peanut butter, pineapple or mango added to a stirfry... etc. I really do try to balance it out. Even the fast food chains have caught on and offer fruit bowls and salads, which I'll always opt for over a burger/fries.

Lizzie
August 24th, 2005, 10:22 AM
We eat the yummy fruit and veggie bars you can buy at the grocery store. They give you 3 servings of fruits and veggies per day. I think the brand is Sun Ripe or something like that. They come in boxes of 30 for about 17 bucks and are absolutely deliciousl. They make smaller, thin ones that are more like little fruit rollups too..but those ones don't offer you as much veg/fruit content.

For us, it's hard to eat the fresh fruits and veggies before they go stale. I imagine a lot of couples or people living alone have this problem. These little, chewy bars of veggie and fruit are a great subsitute! Oh, and they taste great!

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I am a meat & potato person but I love veggies and fruit. I can make a meal out of vegtables alone. I never had much of a sweet tooth, I do not like chocolate..*put yer flame throwers down please*..I crave fruit instead.

The neatest gift my mother bought me 2 years ago was a Oster steamer. It cooks veggis so perfect. I love it...takes very little time.

mesaana
August 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I voted 6-10. I agree with Melanie: food is fuel for your body. I enjoy what I eat but I also make sure that I eat a good variety of foods.

Lizzie: I live alone and just about never waste any veggies/fruits. At the beginning of the week, I usually buy: a package or ready-cut lettuce mix (sometimes including carrot and red cabbage), some baby spinach leaves, one or 2 red or yellow peppers, a pack of mushrooms, some grape-tomatoes, some broccoli and/or cauliflower and some baby carrots. Every day, for my lunch, I bring 2 Glad plastic containers full of veggies, one with low-cal dressing and one without. I also get fruits: some berries, bananas and whatever is good and in season, plus I always keep some frozen berries and pineapple in the freezer. I also drink one glass of O.J. in the morning and a glass of veggie juice when I get back from work.

Works for me :)

Lyne

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
You all are such good eaters!! :) (sigh...)

mesaana
August 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Prin: I don't remember how old you are but I seem to remember you are still quite young (correct me if I'm wrong)... Well, when I was a teenager, I ate just about NO veggies. As I got older, I developped a taste for them. Now, if I don't have any for a day, I actually crave them!!! Who would have thought?? My dad used to say that when I'd get older, I'd start eating them. I didn't believe him but he was right!!

Lyne

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I'm past being a teenager and I'm at the point where it's my fault that I don't eat enough. It's not that I don't like them, it's that I don't love them... :rolleyes:

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I despised food, no..hated, hated ..food when I was young..I only ate to sustain life...I was too busy to be worried about it. I was 5'8"..and was size 0 or a 1 depending on the clothes manufactuer...I finally achieved a size 3 after I was married.
Fish & vegtables was the only thing I would eat. My ex-husband introduced me to pizzas & tacos...I still hate him for that. (among other things)
I learned to cook way back when I first struck out on my own and I have to admit, I am good at it too.

I would never want to be a skinny as I was in my teens but I would be happy as a size 9 again.
As you age, your body changes to suit your needs and demands, go with it.

melanie
August 25th, 2005, 12:47 AM
oh i love most seasonal fruit, the only good thing about winter here is the strawberries, their in season in queensalnd so we get heaps of them, in the past 2 weeks i have been disgusting enough to eat 1 whole punnet of strawberries aday, mind you im actually alergic to them, but the rash on my face aint bad enough to discourage me, its better than when i was a kid, and i ate jsut as many then... my poor mum used to watch me like a hawk round the old strawberry garden, but i always managed to eat the lot...

prin thats lychee, and you should give em a go my family looovvveeeess them, i cnat stand them, i picked lychees for 4 yrs while at uni. bloody hard work, i would rarely call anything mans work, but unless your a big gal its definatly hard for my size. lychees grow on huge trees and you pick up in the tree on a huge ladder, sorta like apple pickin...and you carry yoru ladder all day too, owwwwww it hurt... :o

and the trees smell like lychees, and your cloths smell like the bloody trees, as does your hair and the lot, i used to eat them, but after lookin at em for that long, i cant touch a one. just like blueberries, we grew them too, the only thing i use them for is to throw at ppl :D :p (or rubbing in your girlfriends hair, but you gotta run fast for that one) :D :p

hey if you feed chickens blueberries their poo turns blue, hey true story :D :p

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
You want me to eat lychees after "they" tortured a Mel to get them?!! Hmm. If I eat those, I'll have to feed my doggies Iams too... :sick: Kidding, I would never feed my doggies Iams ever again!!

But seriously, I don't want to get into an ethics debate about farm workers' treatment etc (this is just for FUN)...

Strawberries I eat my the truckload in the early summer and then I get sick of them for the rest of the year.... :D Mangos are in waves. Sometimes I get a series of black ones and I get turned off for a while. Peaches always seem to dry out... Plums are good. Grapefruit is good. Oranges too, but they burn after a few. :o (I had 11 clementines one night and had to go to the hospital... :o ) Oooh, any of the above covered in chocolate!! mmmm Chocolate!!

Karin when you said what you said (I won't repeat it) about chocolate, I wish you could have seen how wide my eyes got!!! :eek: LOL

melanie
August 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM
go prin, thats what i like to see. lychee pickin sucks big time, and i forgot to mention it is done at around 3am till about 11am, you ahve to pick before the fruit heats so you dont tear the skin, but they are all wet at that hour, the dew on the trees. so you ahve thick gloves on but it dont matter what yo u do, the lychees are hard and prickly and tear your wet hands to shreds, even through the gloves, owww i hated it... crap that was hard pickin,,,,

i left that job after three years in uni, one day the boss thought he could put his hands where they were not wanted, well i had a big hook that i used to grab high branches with, so i whacked him square in the face with it, needless to say i got fired, and he is still there creep :eek:

yes mel was definatly tourtured in that job, yuck......

farm workers, ha i have a billion stores, hey i picked last year for $2 a box for grapes, it didnt get me much money, i picked hard and ended up with like $50 a day, the poor kids i worked with had never picked before and they made squat didly..... but as long as i make more than the fuel i generally do it, silly old mel, what a desperato..... :p

but nothin sucks like picking up macadamia nuts, now that hurts owwwwwwwwww........

when you say 12 clemintines, are they oranges? oh my god you must have been sick, boy oh boy you msut have liked em....

yesterday i got 3 punnets of strawberries for $5, i have consumed near two punnets, oh its shockin, but at least its not junk food though..... :D

heidiho
August 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Hardly ever ever eat either one......

glasslass
August 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Chocolate is a veggie. Right? I mean cocoa bean? Beans are veggies!

Prin
August 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Mel, a clementine is a tiny orange... about 3-4cm in diameter. They're addictive. :D

Glasslass, I'm seeing a dietician as a part of my thyroid crap, so I'll ask your question. :D Meanwhile I'll cross my fingers so hard that my knuckles are white... :D