Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Vomitting for 4 days went to vet today

fantetti
August 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Hello,

My first post here.
My 4 month old Wheaten Terrier puppy has been vomitting a considerable amount a couple hours after eating, this has been going on for 4 days now.
Today i brought her into the vet and her checked out.
The vet diagnosed her with a swollen stomach which is mostly likely caused by lascerations to her stomach and partially blockage of her bowels.

The vet gave her a couple antibotic shots, one to coat the stomach the other for her fever.
He sent me home with a couple antibiotics to give her every 12 hrs, one being Sulcrate plus and the other Metronidazole and Medical gastro wet food.
Now my question is how can the vet tell there is lascerations to the stomach without doing xrays or something like that?
He said within 24-48 hrs i should see improvement and her being able to digest her food better.

Any help or more information someone could give me would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 09:42 PM
How can he tell there was a blockage with 100% certainty without an xray? And if there was a blockage, why isn't the doggy in surgery?

When in doubt, find a new vet... :eek:

fantetti
August 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
he said there is a partial blockage because she is still pooping a bit.

but if the dog cant digest her food properly wouldnt one think it would be more of a digestive problem than a swollen stomach problem???

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Well if the stomach really is cut up, it might not be working properly.

Even if it's a partial blockage, how does he know it won't fully close up? I mean if it's something like a sock, as it moves down it might be partial but then start to bunch up... You know?

the gang
August 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
go to another vet asap and get your little one checked out as soon as you can, please come back to give us all a update, and the best of luck to you :fingerscr

mona_b
August 23rd, 2005, 10:50 PM
I would definately get a second opinion asap.

An xray or ultrasound should have been done to see what is causing the blockage.